Community_discussions_small  

Question

Vietnam Contiki vs. Travelling Solo?

24 Apr 2012 Eskimo-Fashion asked

Default_avatar

Hey there!

Just a question, as i'm quite keen to travel to Vietnam around October/November, and am wondering for those that have done both a tour and travelled solo around the traps, which would you prefer. And of the two tours on offer, I take it the 'Vietnam Experience' is the more well rounded, whilst the 'Vietnam Highlights' is merely a brush through of the main locations and tourist attractions?

I travelled solo for the first time around Thailand earlier this year and loved it. Ever since i've been itching to head overseas due to the dreaded travelbug! :P

The only reason i'm considering a Contiki tour on this instance is due to not knowing much about the country of Vietnam, and where to travel specifically. I did the European Panorama tour back in 08', which was awesome fun! The only drawback I found with travelling on tour compared to travelling solo, is that it can be rather restrictive in that you may only spend 1-2 days in a particular location you'd much prefer to spend more time in. But apart from that it was an awesome experience and had a great group in my tour, which was a bonus. Haha!

Cheers! :)

• 25 Apr 2012 Clare said

Clare

I did Vietnam Highlights in September. The Highlights and Experience are the same tour, Experience just runs for a couple of extra days before hand, and then you meet up with the Highlights guys. From what I heard, I wish I had done the Experience tour, which shows you the Mekong Delta, where as the rest of the trip you won’t see it again. I enjoyed travelling on tour. It made the whole experience a lot more fun and I made some awesome friends. I guess if your not restricted on time you could do the tour and then a bit of your own traveling. If you do go yourself the highlights are defiantly Hoi An and Halong Bay! Hope that helped a little, and have an awesome time whatever you decide to do!

• 25 Apr 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

Doing it as a group is the way to go for Vietnam.I studied about the place in History Classes in High School so that kind of prepared me a little but nothing like seeing it in person.Highlights is the way to go.I would like to go back at the end of next year but with regret I turn 35 at the end of this year so unless they are willing to accept a 35 going on 36 year old on their tours I won’t be going and that’s a shame.It’s a great place.I wish I had gone a lot sooner though.

• 29 May 2012 Courtney said

Courtney

Contiki is better in that you get to see soo much more of vietnam – your less likely to go off the beaten track in some of those places and you wont meet heaps of other travellers along the way. Also I travelled a bit around hanoi and went up to Sapa on my own which was amazing – the main spots you’ll meet other rouge travellers is Nha Trang and especially Hanoi. I would recommend doing contiki and then spending a bit more time in Hanoi – stay in hanoi backpackers and you’ll meet heaps of people :) I stayed in drift backpackers and it was new so it was pretty quiet.

• 23 Jan 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

You bring up some good points Courtney.Contiki I admit is rather overpriced depending on how you look at it.If you are willing to lose Halong Bay and don’t mind an open aged tour I would suggest Geckos.I booked one of the latter for this Christmas and the cost before deposit is $1075 then the insurance,transfers and if applicable overnight stop in Airline’s Asian Hub on the way over(Not Necessary on Vietnam Airlines)but I am speaking as an Australian all up It’s just on three grand less $350 to $500 to secure the booking so about $2,500 to $2,800.I am not rubbishing the Youth Brand but I wanted to go Contiki but on the advice of a Travel Consultant at Escape Travel Unley South Australia I was advised against it.Chances are even as a 35 going on 36 year old my chances are getting on would be rather limited which explains the choice I have made.

• 30 Jan 2013 clez said

Default_avatar

I haven’t done contiki in Asia but to be honest I could not imagine it. SE Asia is so so easy to travel. I would wake up in the morning and decide I wanted to move onto the next place and I would book a flight, bus, boat, train to the next destination at a low cost and without having to wait. You go with the flow and experience everything as you want to experience, in your your timeframe, meeting different people (who become your family) in every location.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.