Community_discussions_small  

Question

Queenstown Optionals

27 Apr 2012 AlexG asked

AlexG

Hey
Im doing the Grand Explorer Auckland to Christchurch Tour leaving June 30 and was wandering what sort of optionals has anyone done while in Queenstown for the 2-3 days that we are there?There seems to be a heap of optionals to choose from
Thanks

• 28 Apr 2012 Marz87 said

Marz87

Look I wouldn’t recommend getting one overseas, only because 1. you won’t be able to get the tatoo wet for 2 weeks, which will limit some things you can do. 2. the aftercare is time consuming, okay not long to rub in some cream etc but you have late nights and early morning very frequently. 3. A tattoo isn’t really best if you know how good the artist is, I mean it’s up to you, you could risk getting a tattoo and then it could be really shit or awesome. Personally, I wouldn’t.

• 29 Apr 2012 loops said

loops

i did the budgy-we stopped there anyways
    skydive is great
    there is a ledge jump/swing thing thats good i didnt do it
    everyone did the dinner as some people leave in christchuch
    the night outs are awesome so becareful with managing morning optionals, eg ski-ing which hungover is a bad move!!

• 5 May 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

thanks loops :)

• 5 May 2012 Marz87 said

Marz87

I don’t know why I was talking about Tatoos lol. I was sure I was answering a question about tatoos when I wrote it.

On the way to Queenstown we stop at a bungee place and either watch or do the bungee. When I did the tour in January it also included the shootover jet boat ride, that was cool. They are very skilled in making it look like your about to smash in a rock.

Anyways, optionals – I did the mad dog river boarding and white water rafting in one day. The next day, I had a free day in which I explored the actual Queenstown, I went out and took lots of pictures of the town (including my very nice display pic you can see). I also, booked (not through contiki) but on my own through a tourist booking shop in Queenstown centre a wakeboarding/waterskiing experience. It was $180 for an hour, which I mean is pricey, but if you think about it it’s one on one instruction, you can use your own camera. I booked it last minute. To be honest, I thought it was 100% better than white water rafting. I also did the luge in Queenstown. Mad dog river boarding is very fun!

Everyone did the skyline dinner which was ($75 or something close) but it was really nice food. If I knew how nice I would have skipped lunch and ate twice as much. Wear some nice clothes to the dinner, everyone goes out straight afterwards. They also give you complementary tickets to the skyline gondala for the next day, which I used on my free day and took more pictures of the view during the day.

You can skydive in the north island in Rotura ( think). The sky diving was cancelled for us in Queenstown due to the weather.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion