Community_discussions_small  

Question

Essentials to pack for NZ

29 Apr 2012 madilegs asked

madilegs

Hey guys! I'm doing the grand explorer June 30 (Christchurch-Auckland) and am wondering if anyone is familiar with the weather in winter. I know I'll need warm comfy clothes but will a big snow jacket etc be essential?

• 30 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

yes good question. Im bring a few jackets to keep me warm and a few light jumpers with long sleeves that will keep me warm when im feeling a bit overheated.
    You should get a list of things to pack from the NZ link on the contiki page – Travel Resources- Travel Trip. They have a guide of what to pack etc.

• 30 Apr 2012 madilegs said

madilegs

Thanks Rach! I had a look and it seems to show clothes for all seasons. I just don’t want to waste space in my luggage haha :)

• 30 Apr 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

Haha – me too

• 14 May 2012 DSC_Michael said

DSC_Michael

Hi! I’m doing the Scenic Southern tour, starting Christchurch June 30 – which i think is the South Island parts of the Grand Explorer tour.
    I asked a friend of mine who is from NZ about what to wear. The answer was that it will be cold, but not too much colder than Melbourne (I’m from Melbourne too).
    Obviously Queenstown and Frans Josef Glacier will be different – ie pack waterproof stuff – same as if you went to Falls Creek or Mt Buller here.
    When in doubt – just go for layers! You can always take off a layer or two if to hot!

• 14 May 2012 AussieExplorer2012 said

AussieExplorer2012

Look forward to meeting you on the Southern Part of the Grand Explorer Tour :)

• 14 May 2012 madilegs said

madilegs

Hi Michael :) sounds like you will be on my tour then. When do you get into Christchurch? I’ll probably just dress like its a Melbourne winter too haha :)

DSC_Michael

I get in to Christchurch 5am (eww) on Sat 30th.
    Melbourne days like today have made me think I can handle any weather NZ can throw at me :)
    I might invest in a few new pairs of bonds thermals though :)

madilegs

5am? Oh god hahaha. I’ll be at the bealeys hotel from June 28 :)
    Today was so bad. Spontaneous rain is not fun! Are you traveling alone or with friends?

DSC_Michael

Yeah tell me about it. Couldn’t get there any earlier than the 30th :(
    Leaving Melbourne around midnight Fri, so will have 3 hour flight to try and sleep before it is suddenly 5am NZ time. Basically missing out on a night’s sleep – great way to start a tour! Oh well :P
    I’m traveling alone. You?

madilegs

Oh thy sucks! I think theres a lot of driving so you can nap :) will you be sky diving etc?
    Also going solo :) kinda nervous

DSC_Michael

haha yeah, there will be napping.
    I haven’t made up my mind on Skydiving – I am scared to death of it so I’m leaning towards no, but if EVERYONE else does it i may not have a choice!
    I’m definitely going to ski/snowboard in Queenstown- I LOVE the snow.

oh forgot to mention, I read somewhere that there were hot-pools or hot-tubs on the trip – so pack some bathers as well as your winter clothes!

madilegs

Yeah I want to go snow boarding for sure! I’m so excited

• 14 May 2012 Andrew Dalton said

Andrew Dalton

Thanks guys. Very helpful :-)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.