Community_discussions_small  

Question

Big Indochina (Or Asia in general) Advice

3 May 2012 daniellea10 asked

daniellea10

Hello everyone!

I am planning on going on the Indochina tour this winter and was hoping I'd be able to get some advice!
-Anything you wish you would have known before you went on the trip?
-Packing/clothing tips
-Vaccinations?

Any help will be appreciated! :)

• 3 May 2012 daniellea10 said

daniellea10

Also, is anyone planning on doing the big indochina tour November 28- December 22 or the Asian Adventureer or Vientnam experience those times?

• 29 May 2012 Courtney said

Courtney

Hey, I have done this trip and had an amazing time. Make sure you pack hand sanitizer and wipes ( as you find yourself in pretty interesting places ) being a girl there is very rarely toilet paper anywhere haha.
    The weather will more than likely be beautiful the whole time until you arrive in Northern Vietnam (Halong bay and Hanoi ) January it is absolutely freezing, not sure when you are going? ( I took a big rain coat that folded up so it didnt take up much room. )
    I would also recommmending to pack everything you think you will need and halve it – alot of us were throwing out / giving away clothes along the way because our packs were too heavy.

This trip was amazing, met beautiful people and as a result moved interstate after my trip. You will have an amazing time! Hope this helps.

• 30 May 2012 daniellea10 said

daniellea10

Thanks! Any advice is great advice as I am finding majority of the forums geared towards to european tours :)

I am going late november through to december. What is considered freezing? Im sure it couldn’t be any colder than what I anm used to seeing in Canada :p What time of the year did you go on your tour?

Also, was the tour a mix of ages or were the majority older than most? I will be 20 by the time the tour kicks off!

I am very excited to hear you had an amazing time, but really- how could you not?! :) I cannot wait!

Thanks again,

-Danielle

• 2 Jun 2012 sugarr said

sugarr

Hey Danielle, you’ll love this trip! I recently came back from doing the Vietnam Experience part. It was extremely hot the whole time but I’m guessing you might experience some colder weather in parts of Vietnam as you are going in late November. I did not need any long sleeved clothing at all.

Some tips:

I found an umbrella very useful in hot and rainy weather. You can buy extremely cheap North Face jackets in Hue (my shell jacket cost just US$21). Make sure you use a lot of sunscreen if you choose to do the boat trip in Nha Trang as I got VERY burnt. Be very careful about taking taxis in Hanoi! We ended up taking a fake taxi whereby the meter leapt very quickly and it was difficult making him stop the vehicle! Hold onto your bag and valuables very tightly as we had a few incidents involving people getting stuff stolen. The accommodation is very nice everywhere except at the end of the trip (unless Contiki change the hotel by the time you go) – my favourite was in Hoi An. Have toilet paper in your bag.

The tour was a mix of ages between about 19 to 33 but if you are doing the Big Indochina, you will meet probably up to 50 different tourmates during the course of the tour.

Have loads of fun and take a zillion pictures!

• 3 Jun 2012 daniellea10 said

daniellea10

great tips- thank-you :)!

• 24 Jun 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

A great way to do Asia these tours are but it disappoints me that other than the Multi Asia Big Indochina Tours There are not any tours that focus on Thailand in much the same mould as Peregrine or Intrepid or for those of us who can justify the extra cost Travel Indochina.Thank Goodness as I turn 35 in December I no longer qualify and have to do my tours in Asia with any of the above mentioned companies which cost way less than Contiki and focus on seeing the place and getting back to nature.

• 30 Jan 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

Usual things are to avoid Chilli and all Spicy Foods unless your system is used to it.Make Sure for day use you carry the smallest bag possible enough to hold your camera and film if it is one of those analogue type ones still like what I have and use your common sense.I know Contiki don’t use local Buses and Trains to get places in Vietnam but I would like some help of what to do here with my luggage for anyone who had either done it independently or on one of the open aged companies for safety.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion