Community_discussions_small  

Question

Mobile Phone Services

10 May 2012 european_beauty asked

european_beauty

Hi, I am going to Europe in a couple of months and I was wondering what people are doing for their mobile phone services? Is it true that in Europe you need a sim card service for each country? Or will one overseas sim be ok and cheap enough to use through out Europe?

What are you/What did you do?

• 11 May 2012 Kate said

Default_avatar

Hey, i plan on taking my australian sim there (only as a backup and for real emergancies) otherwise buy the travel sim card that you can buy from the post office, it could be cheaper to purchase a europe sim from companys like Orange or O2 but i havent looked into that yet…

• 12 May 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

if your taking your australian mobile please keep in mind that if your mobile is locked on a contract with an australian carrier you will need to unlock your mobile before you leave australia otherwise it won’t work overseas. If your mobile is already unlocked your all good to go just buy a UK sim card in london when you arrive and it will work throughout europe you’ll just need to reload with credit when you get low and its alot cheaper then using your australian sim card/carrier as it will be alot more expensive.

• 12 May 2012 Bellzie said

Default_avatar

What about the Ekit sim contiki give you?

• 12 May 2012 european_beauty said

european_beauty

Whats the ekit sim?

ExplorerJeff

You still have to buy the Ekit from Contiki its not include for free but i didn’t use it i purchased my own when i arrived in london. The Ekit is a sim card and $5 pounds credit to start.

european_beauty

Is there anything wrong with it? Does it work in all european countries?

ExplorerJeff

I really couldn’t tell you if there are any problems as i don’t know anyone that has used it as all of us on your tour brought ones from phone companies in london once we all arrived. I don’t know what company supplies it so i couldn’t say if they would work in all counties in europe. But vodafone and orange were the most popular one used on our tour and we got good reception all over europe and cost were pretty good especially for short calls back home as well as text messages.

european_beauty

Thats great thank u so.much

ExplorerJeff

know worries your very welcome, enjoy your contiki tour i can definietly say its sooooo much fun and you will have the time of your life. Happy travels.

• 13 May 2012 Explorer13011989 said

Explorer13011989

Hey did you personally use the Vodafone or Orange sim? How much was it? How did you recharge?
    I’m not sure if i should use the voucher we get in our Contiki packs to buy the ekit or get a travelsim from the post office or wait until i get to London and just one there..

• 22 May 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

i used a globel travel sim which can be used in the UK and europe purchased online and used the vodafone network for the UK and various european carriers. when you travel through europe you can go into you settings and go to network carrier and it will bring up a selection of network carriers in the country your in and you just select one ( but do beware as diff carriers charge higher then others). other options are to wait till you arrive in london then buy a sim from one of the big phone carriers in the UK as you mentioned or there is a overseas travel sim pack call Travelsim which works well overseas aswell. recharge is usually done by credit card and you’ll need internet access to do it.

• 22 May 2012 Explorer13011989 said

Explorer13011989

was it travel sim that you used? as i’m thinking of going with travel sim. Contiki ekit is too expensive compared to travel sim.

• 23 May 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

does ekit do data? I’d mainly use the net on my phone.

• 23 May 2012 ExplorerJeff said

ExplorerJeff

Travel sim was good and had no problems with it and was able to use in every country we visited. As far as i am aware there is no data for the Ekit but you can enquire with contiki if it does otherwise you will need to get a Uk or european sim and get a prepaid plan that includes data or use the free wifi at hotels, hostel or campsite depending on the type of tour your doing.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.