Community_discussions_small  

Question

What shouldn't I miss in London and Rome?

13 May 2012 mel asked

Default_avatar

So I'm doing the London, Paris, Rome tour in a month but getting to London a day early and leaving Rome a day. Besides any places that are part of the tour, what is a " must see.?" Was there a coffee shop, a market, a neighborhood, a building that I "can't miss?" Thanks!

• 18 May 2012 Blue_Eyes131 said

Blue_Eyes131

If you havn’t gone yet…

While in London, definitely go on the Eye, and check out Harrod’s. The pastry/food department is incredible! Also, Notting Hill has a really big outdoor market with lots of little shops all down the street. Just make sure the metro is running there when you go. When I was there last summer, I had to walk for an hour before deciding to take a cab to a metro station that was open…it was pretty bad. lol.

Hope you have/had a great trip though!

• 19 May 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

The Eye, Dungeons, Sealife, Globe, London Tower and London Tower bridge are all in the same-ish area and maybe at night head to the West End for a musical? Although I don’t know where any of the good shopping is

• 19 May 2012 trina said

trina

I’m leaving in 4 days for my Contiki. Yay! Here’s some stuff I saw online for London.

1) Trafalgar Square – Nelson’s Column, St Martin-in-the-Fields, Strand
    2) Piccadilly Circus – Eros Statue
    3) Leicester Square – caricature artists, “Theatreland” sign, celebrity handprints
    4) West End
    5) British Museum – Rosetta Stone, Elgin Marbles, Nereid Monument
    6) The Monument – monument to the Great Fire of London
    7) Tower of London – Beefeater tour, Crown Jewels, Cullinan I, Bloody Tower, Traitor’s Gate, ravens
    8) Tower Bridge
    9) St. Paul’s Cathedral
    10) Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre
    11) London Eye
    12) Westminster Abbey
    13) Big Ben
    14) Houses of Parliament
    15) Buckingham Palace – Changing of the Guards
    16) Wellington Arch
    17) Portobello Road Market
    18) Covent Garden – Royal Opera House, Bow St Police Station
    19) Royal Observatory – Prime Meridian Line (stand on both east & west hemispheres of the Earth)
    20) Royal Mews – by tradition, Windsor Grey horses pull the Queen’s carriage; Gold State Coach – used at every coronation for 300 years
    21) Cleopatra’s Needle – brought to London from Alexandria; erected on September 1878 on the Thames Embankment;1 of a pair of identical obelisks (other in Central Park, NY); time capsule buried under it
    22) Benjamin Franklin House
    23) Queen’s Gallery
    24) Harrods – famous shopping store
    25) 10 Downing Street – residence of Prime Minister
    26) escalator in Angel Tube Station – Western Europe’s longest escalator (318 steps); Northern Line (close to Russell Square)
    27) British Library – see Shakespeare’s first folio and Magna Carta
    28) Temple Church – home to Knights Templar
    29) Kensington Palace – where England’s princesses lived, including Diana
    30) Kensington Gardens – statue of Peter Pan
    31) 221B Baker Street – official home of Sherlock Holmes
    32) Little Ben – across Victoria station
    33) Tyburn Tree in Hyde Park – site of tree used for death by hanging; London’s main site for executions
    34) 10 Hyde Park Place – smallest house in London (3.5 feet wide)
    35) smallest police station in London – southeast corner of Trafalgar Square; inside a lamppost; marks the exact center of London ¿
    36) Abbey Road
    37) day trips: Stonehenge, Cotswolds, Windsor Castle, Warwick Castle, Bath, Oxford, Stratford-upon-Avon, Avalon, etc
    38) movie locations: Notting Hill, Love Actually, etc
    39) Banksy’s street art
    40) Olympic Stadium

Have a fun trip! : )

• 20 May 2012 manicirony said

manicirony

That is so extensive… Possible for me to book tours or free-and-easy on my own only when I get there, or advised to book tickets now? I have booked tickets to watch Hamlet and Henry V at the Globe so far. I would love to cover Stonehenge and Bath too. I saw this YouTube video by Charlie, where he visits 10 must-see landmarks in London in… 2 hours flat, actually he had 11 mins left after hitting all the spots.

• 20 May 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

Oh also last time I was in London I got a 24 hour hop on hop off bus – I liked Big Bus Tours since they had free walking tours as well ( http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid= ) also means you have easy transport.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.