Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Jungfrau mountain

10 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar
When you get to the top of the mountain, what kinds of things are there to do up there? Will everything at the top of the mountain have a fee?

EX. The Ice palace... Is there a charge to get in?
  • 10 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

Allo allo, I just got back from my trip and we did Jungfrau.

You pay 127SFR for the cog train which gets you a return trip right to the top. There’s nothing else to pay for up there, there’s an outdoor plateau where you can have snowfights, ice caves to check out, the ‘sphinx’ which is another viewing platform, huskies, plenty of cool photo opportunities, souvenir shops and a cafe (buy your food back at the campsite – very expensive up the top). It was worth it, but we went on a foggy day and couldn’t see very far, I’d only go up if it’s a fine day, but your tour manager gives a weather report after breakfast that morning.

Oh, and it’s damn cold up there, I had 5 layers on and still froze. The snow is blinding up there too, take the sunnies.

Hope that helped!

• 10 Jun 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

Steve is pretty much right on. I just did that excursion about 2 weeks ago and we had a great sunny day when we were there so we got lucky. Going up you get a few viewing stops for pictures and a change over in a small station with a few shops in restaurants and a great view. At the top you have the ice palace, sphinx (a lookout), an out door lookout, and a place where you can hike (45 minutes) to a restaurant on the other side of the mountain. Everything at the top is kind of expensive, rather you hike and eat or eat at the sphinx area as its difficult to get all the food up to the top so you are paying a premium. If it is a nice day, I’d definitely do the hike.

I agree with Steve as well, take your sunglasses/sunnies and DO NOT FORGET SUN SCREEN. Everyone looked like lobsters that did not take sun screen. The snow just amplifies the effect.

• 10 Jun 2008 Corrinna said

Default_avatar

DO you have to pay to see the Ice Palace? Is there dog sledding? Once u get to the top is everything free, other than the food?

• 10 Jun 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

Everything is free at the top to see.

They do have dogs up there which I imagine are for sledding, I did not see a sign saying how much.

There is sledding on a little tiny hill for a 5 euro deposit, so its free if you return the disk… not really worth it though, its for kids.

They have a zip line too that costs something as well, again I did not care so I didn’t look at prices.

Other than that the food is the only thing you have to pay for.

• 4 Feb 2014 EmmaEmily said

Default_avatar

I’m doing this as part of the euro horizons tour. So excited!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion