Car Hire & International driving licences

1 May 2008 Greko said

Do you need an International Drivers Licence to hire a car in Europe??<BR><BR>I'm mainly looking to hire a car in Greece.<BR><BR>Some of the car hire websites i've looked up state that a current drivers licence from your own country and a passport are acceptable.
  • 2 May 2008 mbarber983 said


    I am not sure about Greece, but 5 years ago my dad got a car when we were in the UK and drove from London to Cambridge where I was studying abroad. He didn’t need anything besides his Michigan driver’s license and his passport.

  • 2 May 2008 Danni said


    i dont want to and cant even if i did want to hire a car, coz on im only on my Aussie P’s, but i want to hire a moped/vespa in greece?? am i going to have trouble doing so, with just a Aussie P-plate license and im only 19?

  • 8 Mar 2012 Leo21 said


    I think its one of the nice blog that you have shared here.
    車売却 | 車査定

  • 21 May 2013 Hong said


    The car rental industry has grown by leaps and bounds. Rates are typically cheaper on weekends. When renting a car, you’ll be offered a collision damage waiver and a loss damage waiver.

  • 2 Jul 2013 Hong said


    I am hitting a brick wall with Google etc in trying to find answers. I know that car hire companies don’t really care & will tell you that it isn’t required, but the law is the law & I would like to know the answer.Chinese garlic

  • 2 Jul 2013 Hong said


    EEC licence are acceptable but all other licenses are only acceptable if the are written in legible English. If your licence is not written in English, you must also have an international driving licence that is written in English to accompany your foreign licence.Beds Essex

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.