Community_discussions_small  

Question

THE ADVENTURER!

31 May 2012 Sarah asked

Sarah

Hey all, I'm interested in The Adventurer for june 2013. I know there arent any reviews, so who's done it? Any feedback, comments, negatives/positives? It looks amazing but i want to hear from someone who's actually experienced it all :)

Thanks!

• 4 Jul 2012 SarahK2710 said

SarahK2710

Hey, I don’t know about reviews, but I booked this one for May 2013. Pretty excited about it!

• 27 Jul 2012 Rebecca said

Rebecca

Im totally interested doing this in June 2013. I also can’t find too many reviews about it… I did the European Whirl this summer and loved it, if it is anything like that one, Im sure we would have a blast!

• 5 Aug 2012 Sophie3011 said

Default_avatar

Hi! I’m looking at doing this too! Can’t wait, I just did the Mexican Grande and it was amazing!!!

• 13 Aug 2012 Sarah said

Sarah

I did euro impressions in june/July and it was actually amazing! I’m tossing up the explorer as well…so many choices. What was the best bit about Mexican grande?

• 3 Sep 2012 Emily said

Emily

• 12 Oct 2012 Mariska said

Mariska

Hii anyone who’s perhaps doing the reversed tour in May? In other words starting in Rio? I’ll be doing the Brazil & Argentina Experience tour, which is joined together till Buenos Aires, leaving on May 4th :-)

• 13 Nov 2012 Nate said

Nate

theres quite alot of us booked on this tour for the June 7th Departure for anyone whos thinking about booking! :)

• 16 Dec 2012 nene said

Default_avatar

hey guys! I have just done this tour. I was looking for reviews when i booked it too, so if you have any questions just let me know. As for the tour, it is by far the best tour that I have ever done! I have done loads of travelling before and lots of tours with lots of companies but this was the best! The first thing we are told is that you are no longer travelling alone, you are now travelling as a group so surrender now to the fact that you will be doing everything together. But it is good that way. Your tour manager will make sure you see everything there is to see so you can just sit back and enjoy the journey. Peru is unbelievable cheap! So buy your presents and stuff there if you want to go crazy, do it! I DID!!!

Ladies, make sure and bring lots of lip conditioner and body lotion, as when you are in the peru highlands it is soooooo dry!

And remember your sunscreen, when you are in the highlands, you are so much closer to the sun. Add that to the fact that south american summer is insanely hot! You will need lots of sunscreen and bring a hat.

Dont be sensible and leave behind your smart phone. I took mine but a few ppl didnt and regretted it. You will be in hotels, and airports and there is free wifi everywhere (even in the jungle believe it or not!)

thats all i can think of but let me know if anybody has questions.

• 3 Jan 2013 Explorer1210444 said

Default_avatar

Hey Nene, My husband and I are interested in doing The Adventurer tour this year but just dont know when? When did you travel and how was the weather? Also, we are a little worried about safety, is it safe? We have read about a few scary things happening to tourists and this turns us off visiting these countries.
    Thanks for your advise.
    Liz

• 3 Jan 2013 nene said

Default_avatar

Hi LIz!! I went mid november to mid december. The weather was a little cool while we were in the highlands in Peru and also in Cuzco but after you hit the Amazon it is just always very hot and humid. Some days, in the Amazon and in Iguazu and Rio, it was almost 40. If you go any earlier than that though it can get bitterly cold in Peru. The heat sux but the bus has air con, the hotel rooms have it to and there is always a chance to go swimming!!

As for safety, it wasn’t a big issue. If you want to ensure your safety then going on a tour like this is the best way to do that. Becuase you’re pretty much in a big group 90% of the time. The only place where we were really warned was when we got to Argentina we were told to watch out for pick pockets and in Brazil, we were told just to avoid taking too much out with us incase we got mugged but it didn’t happen to anybody on our tour. I took a Pacsafe travel bag to take out during the day and i felt extremely safe with that.

• 3 Jan 2013 nene said

Default_avatar

Hi LIz!! I went mid november to mid december. The weather was a little cool while we were in the highlands in Peru and also in Cuzco but after you hit the Amazon it is just always very hot and humid. Some days, in the Amazon and in Iguazu and Rio, it was almost 40. If you go any earlier than that though it can get bitterly cold in Peru. The heat sux but the bus has air con, the hotel rooms have it to and there is always a chance to go swimming!!

As for safety, it wasn’t a big issue. If you want to ensure your safety then going on a tour like this is the best way to do that. Becuase you’re pretty much in a big group 90% of the time. The only place where we were really warned was when we got to Argentina we were told to watch out for pick pockets and in Brazil, we were told just to avoid taking too much out with us incase we got mugged but it didn’t happen to anybody on our tour. I took a Pacsafe travel bag to take out during the day and i felt extremely safe with that.

• 6 Jan 2013 Sarah said

Sarah

Hi Nene, thanks for the info! Would you recommend going in June/July then, or wait until you went?
    Also, how many were in your group? My nz and europe tours averaged around 50, but ive heard a lot of places tend to go around 30.
    :)

• 6 Jan 2013 nene said

Default_avatar

Hm that is a tough question. The reason I chose the time of year that I did was because it is a popular tour and extremely difficult to get a spot that I wanted at the time of year I wanted. I had to book 10 months in advance and I hear that only a few days later the tour was completely fully booked. I would have preferred to go when it was colder beacuse i like the cold weather but as it turned out, i didn’t mind the weather too much. Just have to tell yourself that it is all part of the experience and the heat doesn’t get to you so much.

I think that if you went in june/ july it would be bitterly cold most of the time. In Peru Id say you would have to wear thick jackets and boots all the time…..this will mean more clothes in your suitcase and less room for souvenirs!

Also some of your optionals would be out…..like rafting and kayaking. As it was sometimes it was too cold to do things that we wanted to do, like swimming at the beach on Taquilie Island at Lake Titicaca. I would imagine you probably wouldnt even go to the beach! Which would suck because the walk around the island to get there was absolutely breathtaking!

As for the group size, it is constantly changing. We started with about 20, and we only had about 17 of us go the entire way through, but at times we had as much as 30. When we got to Argentina we picked up 12 people. But yeah, it is a much smaller tour size than places like Europe and America.

• 6 Jan 2013 Sarah said

Sarah

Hmmm it definitely sounds like I should consider december. especially as I have heard that Peru tends to be very foggy around July. looks like i had better move my July trip over to Russia and Scandinavia! You have such good info, any chance youve been around eastern europe? :D

• 6 Jan 2013 nene said

Default_avatar

I have dipped my toes in Eastern Europe, still have heaps more i want to do. I went to Hungary and Poland. I loved them both!!! Im jealous tho, dying to go to Scandinavia!

• 6 Feb 2013 Helin said

Default_avatar

Hi nene, thanks for the info. I’m thinking of going with a friend departing late November or early/mid December.
    I recently did a top deck tour to Europe for 28 days and it was amazing. It was just a large group of people that all got along very well and it was a party every night. I was wondering if this experience is similar ? Reading the brochure I’m not a very fit person. is the activities physically demanding or can I expect more of a beach /party holiday? Also, how much spending money did you take roughly?

• 6 Feb 2013 Helin said

Default_avatar

Sorry I just have one more question:D what did you mean by the changing amount of people coming on/off? Isn’t there just a group that pre-pay for this tour and people can just leave if they’re willing? so why would a lot of people stop the tour halfway? Was it not enjoyable for them do you think?

So sorry all the questions, but if you could help me that would be great. Thanks nene :D

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion