Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best of USA tour September 20, 2012 (start in L.A)

31 May 2012 SarahG asked

SarahG

My friend and I booked into this tour last weekend.. we are getting pretty excited and the contiki tells me its 112 days till the tour starts. Is anyone else on here doing this tour? Would be great to start chatting with some people before we go. Were also staying the night of the 19th at the Kyoto. Would love to hear from people booked into or considering this tour plus anyone who's done it before.

• 19 Jul 2012 Nikki_Gillespie said

Nikki_Gillespie

Hi guys I’m doing this tour too!! With my friend Rose :)
    So exciting!!

• 19 Jul 2012 katharine said

Default_avatar

Hey, Just wondering how many people so far are staying the night before in LA. Only wondering because My friend and I are but we have booked the Best Western Hotel, but was is supposed to be the Kyoto? :-)

• 20 Jul 2012 Clare407 said

Clare407

hi Katharine, my friend and I aren’t staying at the Kyoto the night before either.

• 20 Jul 2012 Nikki_Gillespie said

Nikki_Gillespie

You can stay wherever you like the night before the Kyoto is the hotel you depart from but it doesn’t matter it’s the hotel they sell as pre and post accommodation and stay in when in Los Angeles.. I’m a travel agent and we sell a lot of the Kyoto before hand but not everyone stays there :) we should meet up the night before for drinks somewhere? X

• 22 Jul 2012 SarahG said

SarahG

Hey Nikki.. nice to have you both on board. Where are you flying from/how old are you? Yeah Nikki we have discussed going somewhere for some drinks, maybe dinner. I think it would be a great thing to do..Not long now!
    Yeah it could be any hotel Katharine, my friend and I just decided we’d stay in the same one for four instead of three nights for our own convenience..
    Starting to put a lot of thought into what I’ll take from my wardrobe!

• 22 Jul 2012 Georgia said

Georgia

Sarah pack nothing buy everything! Last year when I went to the states I packed what I thought was minimal (about 13kg including suitcase). but I bought SO much because it’s so ridiculously cheap over there, same goes for makeup, take the absolute basics. I wish I’d taken even less. I was 20kg OVER the weight restrictions on the way home and was so lucky to not have to pay anything for it but I doubt that will happen again. I’m really struggling with luggage because I’m travelling for just over 4 months so I wish I could pack lighter. I guess I’ll just have to send a few parcels home!

• 22 Jul 2012 Georgia said

Georgia

I guess you’re also lucky because you’re travelling with a friend so you can share some things too! e.g. taking one of something instead of two!

• 23 Jul 2012 SarahG said

SarahG

Haha Thanks Georgia! Yes I will be taking the bare minimum.. just a few clothes to tide me over the first couple days/nights! Definitely planning on shopping up a storm. I am trying to be as good if not better when as when I went to Melbourne for nearly three weeks, had 8kgs in my suitcase and some of what I will take I will be throwing away for my new clothes. Yes, Maja and I are very lucky that we will be able to share stuff, we have been talking about that too. Gosh, you are so lucky with the travelling for four months, will be interesting to hear your stories when we meet you :)
    Good idea with the makeup and only taking basics..

• 4 Aug 2012 Aimee.S said

Default_avatar

hey guys.. im booking this trip hopefully within the next couple of days! heaps keen. im travelling solo which is a first. sarah, is the flight your talking about leaving sydney on wednesday the 19th at 13:40? cause thats the flight im looking at booking also.. cant wait to meet everyone.
    Aimee, from Adelaide.

• 4 Aug 2012 Marc said

Default_avatar

Awesome! me and my cousin are booked for this trip as well and just can’t wait any longer am so excited :)

• 4 Aug 2012 SarahG said

SarahG

Hi Aimee and Marc, nice to have you join our discussion! Its getting soooo close now! Hmm it most likely is the same flight, I had in my head 1330 but 1340 is pretty close too so it must be! With V Australia?

What are you guys looking forward to?

Georgia, have you booked holly Madison’s show? And is anyone interested in going to a sports game if something is on or a show in L.A or New York?

Got my mobile sitch sorted and have decided on commonwealths travel card.

• 5 Aug 2012 Marc said

Default_avatar

i fly auckland to sydney so i take it im on same flight also. Am working all the overtime possible so have more money to spend over there. This shall be an interesting experience anyways. I really wanna do that helicopter tour also looks pretty cool.

• 6 Aug 2012 Georgia said

Georgia

Sarah – Nope haven’t booked yet because I don’t know what night will suit with activities and stuff like that. Pretty sure we should be able to book on the day or the day before though. I’m still really keen to go so keep me updated if you’re interested. I’m interested in a sports game if it fits in with the schedule!

I’ve got the commonwealth travel card, working well at the moment, bit slow at POS but other than that, no complaints!

• 6 Aug 2012 SarahG said

SarahG

Cool. I am interested so I will definitely keep you updated :) and awesome an American style game would be a highlight. Good to hear the card is working. Whereabouts are you at the moment?

• 8 Aug 2012 Steve.E said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone. I decided to go then rang and paid for my trip last night! Can’t wait to join the tour and i’m sure it will be a blast. I just read the posts before this and thanks for the discussions about phones and credit cards and stuff, I’ve never been overseas so the more info the better. See ya!!

• 8 Aug 2012 Georgia said

Georgia

I’m in Paris at the moment, Started in London, have been all throughout Spain, Paris now and the rest of Europe still to come! Having the time of my life!

• 13 Aug 2012 SarahG said

SarahG

Hi Steve! Welcome, where are you coming from? How old are you? Not too long now…
    – Georgia! You lucky girl! You must be having the adventure of a lifetime! How was Paris? and Spain? Glad you are having an awesome time..
    Still waiting on my sim to come from backchat mobile and getting my card this week, I hope. So excited as it is nearly less then 30days away but have alot to do before flying away!

• 15 Aug 2012 Ash said

Ash

Hey guys! Only 37 days :-)

I’m lucky that I’m in Canada for work at the moment, so only a shorter flight for me to get in before the start. Looking forward to EVERYTHING on the tour, always wanted to see the US! Definitely want to try and catch a baseball or basketball game or something.

I’m spending 3 days before in LA then a week in NY afterwards.

Using the 28degrees mastercard over here and it’s great; no fees at all. No idea what I’m doing for my phone though, probably just buy a sim card in LA.

• 15 Aug 2012 Steve.E said

Default_avatar

Hey there Sarah,

I’m coming from Broken Hill. I’ve only lived here 6 months but need a holiday like this! Will be good to get out of the desert! I’m 32. Not long to go at all. Hard concentrating at work that’s for sure.

And Ash, a baseball/ basketball game would be awesome. Yeah I am thinking of just getting a SIM once i’m over there too.

Steve

• 15 Aug 2012 RoseJ said

RoseJ

hey guys – Nikki and I thought it would be a good idea to create a fb group for anyone on our tour who wants to join it – just do a search for Contiki – Best of USA (LA to NYC) September 20 – October 3 2012 and join it – will be a good way to plan or talk about anything we want or need to in the next few weeks leading up to it, and we can also add each other as friends if we want to as well.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion