Community_discussions_small  

Question

First time travelling alone in NZ

5 Jun 2012 AlexG asked

AlexG

Hey guys this is the first ime ive travelled alone in NZ and was wandering if u guys had any tips or advice?

• 12 Jun 2012 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

Hi Alex. NZ was my first “overseas” trip at the start of the year. I went with my sister and one of her best friends. However the good thing about Contiki is that there are a lot of people in a similar situation to you (I think about half of our tour were traveling alone) and you get to know people pretty quickly, esp when you’re sharing rooms and traveling around on a bus together. Given my experience, I’ve just taken the plunge and booked a solo trip to Europe with Contiki so I’m willing to put my money where my mouth is!

In terms of NZ generally, it’s actually not that different to Australia. I had to keep reminding myself that I was actually overseas because the culture is so similar. The money can be confusing (their $5 notes are the colour of our $50 and vice versa. Kept wondering why I got so much change from a $5 note and then realised!), they have a different accent to us and you need a passport to get in. However on the most part, it really just feels like you’re in another, much more beautiful, state of Australia (oh how the Kiwis would love to hear me say that!!!)

Btw, if weather permits go skydiving in Queenstown. It was one of the highlight of my trip and one of the most amazing experiences of my life (and that’s coming from someone who once said she would never skydive!) Would also highly recommend the Canyon Swing and Milford Sound (and flying back over Milford Sound if the weather is nice).

Feel free to ask any further questions – I LOVED my trip and more than happy to talk anyone’s ear off about it who allows me to! ;-P

• 12 Jun 2012 AlexG said

AlexG

thanks fi … i am definitely going to be doing the skydive and the nevis bungy … not really a fan of the canyon swing of milford sound :):) … i let you know if i have any questions :)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.