Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


Converters - Adapters..which to use - HELPFUL to know!!

14 Oct 2009 amp300 said

So I recently was searching for a converter/adapter for my trip and found one at BedBath&Beyond by Samsonite, but when reading the back it said do not use with battery recahrgers, I wanted to know the etc! I called up Samsonite and they had me call the company that makes them for them, the guy told me, think of a converter for travel products, travel irons, travel hair dryer..that require much power. <BR><BR>He said for charging ipods, camera batteries, computer, stereo, flat iron, curling iron to use a step down transformer!! Here's one they have on Samsonite website. This will still require an adapter though, because these transforms are made for traveling to Europe. No clue why they don't just have adapters included! <BR><BR><a href="" target="_blank"></a>
  • Read the responses 1 response so far
  • 30 Oct 2009 TimTammer said


    I’m assuming you are from North America, I’m from Canada and went to Australia earlier this year.

    (I apologize in advance for the electric techno-babble if you don’t understand it)

    Most likely you need just a simple plug converter to use chargers or anything electronic such as laptops because they basically are all multi-voltage and will run on both the North American 120V/60Hz electrical systems and the Aussie 220V/50Hz system.

    If you look any anything you are bringing there should be something on it that says something like “100-240V 50/60 HZ”. If it does you just need the Aus/NZ plug adapter which is $10.

    If you have something that says strictly “120V 60Hz” The you need to get a voltage adapter to run it properly like the one you have a link to.

    For Hairdryers and curlers what I have read (btw I’m a guy and couldn’t care less about having either personally) is to buy cheap ones in Australia that you won’t really care about because if you are going to fry anything that is probably the most likely thing to go.

    Although most places you will stay may have one in the bathrooms.

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions

Related Discussions

Discussions Details

Last response about 8 years

This comment was posted about over 8 years ago. It has been discussed 1 time.

2 people are following this discussion.

  • Default_avatar
  • TimTammer



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.