Important – Airport Closures (Next 48-72 hours)
16 Apr 2010 Kate at Contiki said
Due to volcanic ash clouds from the eruption in Iceland, there are extensive closures to northern European airspace and airports. Some disruption is likely to continue over the next 48-72 hours. This may impact your travel plans due to flight cancellations.
Contiki is offering the following advice to passengers impacted by flight cancellations.
Flights to Europe
Airlines are not advising Contiki of which flights have been cancelled/diverted.
If you are scheduled to travel to Europe within the next 72 hours please contact your travel agent/airline to check the status of your flight, and ascertain alternative flight options.
Passengers may choose to rebook their air at their own costs.
Flights Departing Europe
The majority of Contiki clients who were returning from Europe on Thursday, April 15 were able to depart prior to airport closures.
Remaining departing clients should liaise with directly with their airline. Your Tour Manager will be able to provide assistance wherever possible.
Contiki Tour Departures
All of Contiki’s European tours are operating as scheduled.
If you are unable to join your tour at the original start city then you can arrange to join at a different city on the itinerary. Please contact Contiki Basement (+44 20 7637 0802) if you are already in Europe. Please contact your travel agent if you are yet to travel for further details.
Tour Departure Changes
If you choose to cancel your scheduled tour (prior to departure date) but wish to travel with Contiki at a future date then please contact your travel agent for assistance. Contiki will, in these circumstances, waive Cancellation Fees and transfer your full payment received to a new 2010 departure, provided you re-book by May 17, 2010. Any additional land/tour or air change fees are at the cost of the passenger.
If your travel plans are impacted, please contact your travel agent or your travel insurance provider for assistance. Please remember, your insurance provider will require receipts for all out-of-pocket expenses.
Contiki will continue to monitor the situation and will post additional updates as required.
April 16, 2010
- 0 people like this
- Add to discussion 1 comment so far
21 Apr 2010 Kate at Contiki said* UPDATE: European Air Update – Volcanic Ash *
As air traffic from most European airports commences partial operation, Contiki is providing the following updated information for travelers and travel agents:
As flights resume operation, most major airlines will first protect those with confirmed reservations on the day in question, then re-accommodate other travelers as standby travelers and/or on extra section flights until everyone is accommodated. This process will most likely take several days to re-accommodate all travelers.
For returning passengers who are holding air tickets purchased through Contiki, we are working with the airlines to re-protect them and secure return flights at the earliest possible date and time. For returning passengers who did not purchase air tickets through Contiki, we recommend contacting the airlines directly for flight status updates and re-booking on the next available flight. Further, given the airline procedures described above, passengers may also want to go directly to the airport to take advantage of standby seats as they become available, as those seats will go on a first-come, first-served basis.
For passengers flying to Europe to join a Contiki tour, all tours are operating as scheduled.
For any passengers whose travel plans have been impacted, please contact your travel agent or your travel insurance provider for assistance regarding refunds. Please remember, your travel insurance provider will require receipts for any out-of-pocket expenses incurred.
Contiki is actively monitoring the situation as it unfolds and will post additional updates as necessary.
- 0 people like this
Want to respond to this comment? You need to be signed in as a Contiki.com Community member first.