Community_discussions_small  

Question

USA - Cash? Credit cards? Travellers Checks?

10 Jun 2012 HannahKDonoghue asked

HannahKDonoghue

Hey,

Im doing the Eastern Discovery in November and i would like any advice and what would be best to take in terms of money.
I dont want to take all cash and im not to keen on Travellers checks.
I have a visa debit here in Oz, but just in case it gets lost.

Any advice?

• 10 Jun 2012 tombulenok said

Default_avatar

hey, i signed up a for a citibank plus debit account. which has no international fees or conversion fees. check this out http://www.citibank.com.au/aus/banking/everyday_banking/citibank_plus.htm
    as well i have a 28degrees mastercard for the big purchases which also has no international fees.
    http://www.28degreescard.com.au/

• 12 Jun 2012 HannahKDonoghue said

HannahKDonoghue

Thanks so much for this Tom!
    is thinking this is the way to go, :)
    Let me know how you tour goes, have fun! :)

• 13 Jun 2012 Mel said

Mel

Hi Hannah!
    which date do you leave on your tour? the 6th of Nov?
    I’m doing the grand southern which combines with the eastern discovery.
    As for money im just taking my debit card and then my friends have put some money on a cash passport for my birthday for me which works like a debit/credit card. so ill use that as a back up.
    just make sure if you are using your debit card to tell your bank you are travelling so they dont think its been stolen and cancel it!

• 13 Jun 2012 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

call your bank, most of the banks have travel cards to compete with the card by travelex. I am using my travelex card (as i have it left over from my last trip to america its $3 per transaction so i withdraw enough money to last a few days) as well as my credit card. i always take some $$$ as well but not a large amount. i think i have $250 in US to take.
    ANZ n Citibank have got travel cards, i know thats the NAB just brought out a travel card. find out how much the fees are. some banks wont charge transaction fees but may charge ‘conversion’ fee.
    hope this helps.
    Karlie

• 13 Jun 2012 HannahKDonoghue said

HannahKDonoghue

Thanks Karlie and Mel,
    My regular bank is ANZ anyway, so im going to look into that travel card, and then bring my debit as back up and cash to spare!

& Mel, im going on the Eartern Discovery thats starts on the 20th November :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion