Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern LA-NY 25th April 2013

11 Jun 2012 Gregory685 asked

Gregory685

Hello All

I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this tour in April next year?

This will be my 4th contiki tour, but my first American one. Im looking forward to meeting some new people and having a great look around the USA!!

Im also following this tour up with the Grand Northern departing NY on the 24th May 2013, if any one else is the doing same thing.

Cheers Greg

• 5 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

Hi!! I’m booking this tour in the next week or so!! I’ve been to America a couple of times, but have only done one contiki!! I can’t wait!!

• 6 Dec 2012 Gregory685 said

Gregory685

Hi Bec.
    Sounds like you like America. :) Its good to finally have someone else join this forum haha. I sure cant wait either :)

• 7 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

I love America! I have a really good friend who lives there so its always good to visit and have free accommodation haha. What are your plans before the tour?

• 8 Dec 2012 Gregory685 said

Gregory685

Haha that is the best way to travel when you have somewhere to stay for free. :) I am going to be in LA from the 20th of April. Hoping to see some of the sights before the tour starts on the 25th. Do you have any plans beforehand?

• 8 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

I’m planning on flying in on the 21st. Haven’t made any plans yet.. Probably do a Hollywood tour or something. Where are you staying? Just the recommended contiki accommodation?

• 9 Dec 2012 Gregory685 said

Gregory685

I havent got any plans or anything booked yet. But i will most probably do a few of the hollywood and nearby area tours. I am staying at the contiki accomadation 2 days prior to the tour but need to find somewhere else for the other 3 days as the contiki hotel was too exspensive for those 3 nights. Where abouts are you going to be staying?

• 9 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

Hmmm…. I havent organised accommodation for LA yet. Im going to the travel agents on Wednesday to book everything. Whats the contiki accommodation called? Im not sure if ill stay there, but id like to stay somewhere close by :)

• 12 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

I paid the deposit on my trip today! Im staying at the Contiki accommodation for two nights before the tour. They only allow you to book two nights with them, so my travel agent is trying to book another night separately. I dont see the point of chopping and changing hotels for one night!! Im so excited!!

• 12 Dec 2012 Gregory685 said

Gregory685

Hello Bec.
    Thats exciting news :) Im also staying there 2 nights prior to the trip starting. I have looked the hotel up myself for 3 more nights prior to my other 2 and it comes back wanting to charge $429 a night lol. A bit exspensive I think. I dodnt wanna really chop and change either.

• 12 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

Are you booking everything on your own or through a travel agent? My travel agent confirmed the two nights prior to the trip but requested a third. She said she would have an answer with whether they allow it in the next couple of days. Ill let you know what she says! Thats crazy expensive considering its only $350 for the two nights!!!

• 12 Dec 2012 Gregory685 said

Gregory685

My travel agent booked the two night prior. But I’m just about over the travel agent, not very helpful. :(
    That seems reasonable $350 for two night so it might be about $500 for 3 nights. I dont mind that. If you could let me know that would be great!

• 14 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

Spoke with my travel agent today, she couldnt get that third night at the doubletree. I opted to stay at a hotel near the airport the first night then spend the other two nights at the doubletree. The airport is right near venice beach so i figured i would leave LAX, drop off my luggage at the airport hotel then head to Venice beach and have a wander around there for the day/next morning, then head downtown. I figured itd be cool to have a look around Venice beach one day and actually stay close by instead of driving the hour from the airport to downtown then driving an hour + back to venice beach then back downtown! If you want to stay somewhere close to The Doubletree, just search for hotels nearby. My travel agent mentioned that there was a few nearby that were roughly the same price (Not the $429 you found, but the rate that contiki charge lol) I just cant remember the name of them sorry!! Hope that all made sense to you lol.

• 16 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Hey guys I’ve booked this tour… So glad to see others are going… I’m travelling alone so I’m kind of scared and excited to go and this is my first contiki too!!!

• 16 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

How exciting! Where are you from?? What are your plans for before and after the tour??? :)

bec8589

Also, dont be scared!! Youre not the only one travelling alone :) :)

• 16 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

I’m from Melbourne ….I’m flying on the 13th and going to Miami for the basketball and then back to la for a few days before the tour and then New York and San Fran then home… I’m not so scared for the tour part it’s the rest of the time that worries me haha….I think I’m staying at the contiki hotel the night before the tour too. Where are you from??

bec8589

Im from Newcastle, New South Wales :) Have you been to the states before? Ive been a couple of times and have always wanted to see either a basketball or baseball game!! Maybe ill get to this trip! Do you have any plans for LA?? Oh my gosh Im so excited!! Itll be my birthday when we are in Panama city… I cant wait!!

• 16 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Nah I haven’t been there before but I’m so excited… The basketball was a main thing for me I have always wanted to go!!! I wouldn’t mind seeing baseball too . Not really sure what to do in la yet I’m staying in Anaheim for a bit to do Disneyland and stuff how about you?? That’s a awesome time to have a birthday I’m sure it will be so good… How old will you turn?

bec8589

Ill be turning 24! How old are you?? With the Contiki accommodation you can only stay there two nights prior to your tour, so my first night im staying near Venice Beach and will have a look around there, then will head downtown to the Contiki accommodation. I have already been to Disneyland, but wouldnt mind going again, so might see if its worth getting there and back :)

• 16 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

I’m 25!! I am dying to go to Disneyland I’m just worried I might miss out on things cause ill be alone and have no one to force onto rides haha where else in the states have you been? I already want to go there again and I haven’t even got there yet haha and your going by yourself too?!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.