Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern LA-NY 25th April 2013

11 Jun 2012 Gregory685 asked

Gregory685

Hello All

I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this tour in April next year?

This will be my 4th contiki tour, but my first American one. Im looking forward to meeting some new people and having a great look around the USA!!

Im also following this tour up with the Grand Northern departing NY on the 24th May 2013, if any one else is the doing same thing.

Cheers Greg

• 16 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

Yup, Im going by myself! Wouldve been fun to go with a friend but no one was interested in coming! The rides at Disneyland are pretty tame, mostly aimed at kids.. but still really fun.. and its kind of an advantage to go by yourself because sometimes you get to jump part of the queue because theyre always calling out for single riders!! The more you talk about Disneyland the more I want to visit again.. So im going to see what I can work out and we might run into each other there!! I worked at a summer camp in Connecticut in 2009 so I spent a lot of time around there and ive been to New York (did the whole New years eve Times Square thing- AMAZING!), Boston and a few other states in that area. I also did a contiki called Western Highlights which toured in San Diego, Grand Canyon and Vegas. Ive also been to San Fran which was really cool!! Places im looking forward to the most are probably New York and Vegas!! Sorry about the novel I just wrote but im getting so excited just talking about it!!!

• 17 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Yeah I struggled to find someone to come with me but on we’ll cant let that stop me… How long are you staying in New York for? Yeah I don’t know what day I’m going to Disneyland but maybe we could meet up tho! That’s really good that you have seen so much of the country I’m so jealous !!! I’m starting to get really excited tho buying all my luggage and stuff to take I can’t wait!!!!

• 17 Dec 2012 bec8589 said

bec8589

Im planning on being in New York for about five nights.. havent booked anything though… after that im staying with a friend who lives in Connecticut! What about you, how long are you in New York for?? For LA, im thinking about Venice beach the first day, some kind of Hollywood tour the second day, then maybe Disneyland the 3rd day (day before contiki) I dont know! There is so much to see and do and not a lot of time!! Do you have any plans for NYC??

• 17 Dec 2012 Gregory685 said

Gregory685

Hello Guys

Looks like I have been missing out on all the conversation. :) My turn to write a novel haha.

Nic I’m sure you will enjoy travelling with contiki, they are always such fun and you always end up meeting lots of really nice people. This will be my 4th one. I’m also going to be travelling alone. I find you make more friends travelling alone. Im 27 and Im from Perth.

Id also love to go and see a basketball and baseball game at some point on the trip. Have you ever had a birthday on a contiki trip before? They are always fun, the whole group ets all dressed up and goes out for dinner and you usually dont have to buy a drink as everyone buys them for you. Lets just say lots of drinking is done. :)

Im also jealous I would love to one day experience the whole new years in Times Square. After the tour ends I have another 5 nights in New York, before my next contiki starts. Im just planning at the moment to go around sightseeing. I will be staying at the contiki hotel for the whole time.

In LA I’m thinking of doing some hollywood homes tour, movie studio tours and things like that. Im also hoping to get to Santa Monica Pier and Venice beach.

bec8589

I did a Topdeck tour through Europe in September and there were a few birthdays and they got cakes… But i definitely like the sound of lots of drinking haha! Im undecided about the type of Hollywood tour to do… Ive done a hollywood homes tour and a TMZ tour. They were both really good… but i didnt see any famous people on either of them.. Boo haha. Universal studios is really cool. They have an awesome backlot tour! I want to see the Yankees play (mainly because it would be cool to say ive seen them play) but I dont think they play when we are in New York! Oh my gosh, is it April yet?!?! Im so excited!!

• 17 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Hey hey glad to have to have you join the conversation I don’t feel as nervous now talking to you guys!! I don’t really have any plans for New York at this stage. I am staying 5 nights there tho, prob just walk around and see all the traditional things and I’ve been looking at doing the day trip thing to Amish country I think that would be pretty cool. I’m staying at the Edison, I was hoping people would be staying close by so I could just hang out with all the people I make friends with. I’m jealous of you having a birthday while on contiki as I imagined it would be lots of fun!! I would love to be in Times Square for New Years too that would be amazing!!! I’m thinking pretty much the same thing for LA so should be good!!!!!

bec8589

I cant believe there arent more people from our tour on this forum!!! I tried to sign up to the Meet up thing, but it couldnt find my reference number :s I would like to go to Amish country! We should talk about it on Contiki and try and organise something! Nic, have you travelled much before??

• 17 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Nah I haven’t really travelled, my dad moved to Vietnam when I was younger for work for about 3 years so I was back and forth over there every school holidays but that’s it really!! Yeah I saw the Amish country thing in a book the other day and I have always been fascinated with them so I thought why not I think it would be great fun!! Well we have 26 days to organise stuff on the tour and I’m sure there will be a few other ideas along the way. I thought there would be more people too, that’s why I jumped on here when I saw you guys talking about it cause I have been trying to find people for weeks haha

Gregory685

I like the sounds of the Amish thing. I was watching a show a few weeks ago on SBS about them. Would be interesting. No cakes on Contiki, or not on the ones I have been on haha. I have been waiting since June for people to start posting on here. I’m so glad to have 2 other people from the tour find the page. I can’t wait until April.

bec8589

Maybe more people will pop up closer to the tour! Im doing some research about in New York when we are there. We’re going to be there during Fleet Week. Fleet Week is a week where heaps of sailors and marine people and navy people all dock in New York and just do touristy things. I was in New York for Fleet Week last year and it was super cool… and super busy… but when isnt New York busy haha.

If you guys have facebook, you can add me on there if you want :)

https://www.facebook.com/bec.burgess.3

Gregory685

Yes hopefully more people join up closer to the time. Fleet week sounds interesting. That sounds very true New York is a city that never sleeps?

On my last tour we made a Contiki tour Facebook group page for everyone to join as well. It has also been a good way to stay in contact with everyone since finishing it too.

• 17 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Yeah that sounds good .. Fleet week sounds very interesting lol guess we will have more fun then !!!

• 28 Dec 2012 Butterfly_Princess said

Butterfly_Princess

Hey everyone :) I am heading there by myself in april to be on the same tour! I am so excited and was bummed that I might not have someone to go on the rides with me!! haha but now it looks like I might :P Im heading from Brisbane on the 21st

• 28 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Hey!! Awesome to have another tour person in here I’m getting really excited!!! Do you arrive in la on the 21st?? How old are you?? Do you have any plans before or after the tour??

Butterfly_Princess

I do arrive on the 21st in morning. I am going to do the Hollywood star walk and a couple of tours to see the movie stars homes and I would love to go to Universal studios but gotta find a ride buddy so I don’t look like the biggest nigel ever! haha I am 28. After the tour I am hanging around New York for 3 days and am doing some more little tours and maybe a helicopter tour :)

• 28 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

That’s awesome!! I’m going to universal studios in Orlando so I can do Harry potter world ( yes I’m a bit of a geek) burin doing that before the tour!!! I’m glad we are all around the same age I was worried the tour would be all 21 yr olds even tho I act like like I am sometimes haha… Are you flying home after New York?? Are you going to stay at the contiki accom before the tour??

• 28 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

You can add me on Facebook if you have it and want to haha

http://www.facebook.com/nicole.hammond.372

Butterfly_Princess

Where is the contiki accomodation at? as I wanted to stay on the beach which I am for the first 3 night but the day and night before the tour I wouldn’t mind staying where everyone else is so I can meet everyone :) I am flying home after the few days in New York as I have to come back to work :( boo lol.

• 28 Dec 2012 Nic23 said

Nic23

Um I can’t remember where it is…I’m sure the other guys will know tho… That sucks you have to come back to work… I can’t wait to get away from work… I wish I didn’t have to go back there after my holiday but I have to pay for it somehow I guess…I think that the contiki website has all the hotels that they use on there somewhere I remember finding a list of them somewhere on there!!! Where are u staying in New York?

Butterfly_Princess

I found you on facebook :) I am staying at the Out NYC.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.