Community_discussions_small  

Question

Advice needed For Vietnam Experience Please

1 Jul 2012 Explorer~1987 asked

Explorer~1987

I'm going on the Vietnam Experience tour in April 2013 and was wanting to know roughly what everyone took for Spending money.. I don't really drink much alcohol however i do stay out with the group for most of the night.. I love shopping and i will be doing all the optional activities. I have never been to Asia before so i have no idea what to expect and i will also be going solo....

Do we need to take a sleeping bag & towel on the Vietnam tours as we did in Europe? If you have any more advise please let me know!

Thank You!!

• 11 Jul 2012 Sheree said

Sheree

Hey,
    I haven’t done the contiki tour for VN, but I have been there twice, everything there is pretty cheap once converted back to AUS$, i took $200 AUS for food for two and a half weeks and came back with money… At the markets a good way to work out how much to pay is to only pay 1/4 or 1/2 of what they try and sell it to you for (they up the price if your white- not being racist. they just think your rich and try to rip you off).

Sheree

• 30 Jul 2012 sannasan said

sannasan

Hi, whether u need to take ur sleeping bag along i guess u need to check with contiki . How much u need to bring is depend on how long and what u wan to buy. If just for meal, souvenirs if u want 200-300 USD is more then enough. Since you are going to vietnam, doN’t miss out the silk product like dress, scarf etc. last time i bought a longuette in silk is about 30USD, good quality . Do bargain the price in all market, they marked up a lot to all tourist even those from Asian.

• 8 Aug 2012 Explorer1203249 said

Default_avatar

advice 1- don´t ship things from Vietnam back home
    advice 2- In Hue you can buy NorthFace jackets for Us20 and the heavy and winter-alaska ones for about 40… everybody from the tour bought it.

In nha trang- susspa
    Cooking class is fun
    Tailors in Hoi an— worth it – once you have waht you want them to do for you…. the purses had no quality — go for outifits,,,,,,,,,

• 8 Aug 2012 Explorer~1987 said

Explorer~1987

Thanks everyone for your advise.. I was going to budget around $700-800 for the trip do I’m guessing I will have enough! I have been wanting a north face ski jacket for a long time now so I will make sure I get one when I’m there!! I was planning on doing a cooking class while in Vietnam as I love their food! What kind of clothing can they make? I want to have a design ready but not sure what they do.

• 8 Aug 2012 Explorer1203249 said

Default_avatar

700-800 is more than fine, it is a cheap country. Def buy your northface jacket there, it is less than 45 for the really good ones, it is near the hotel, which is the best hotel you stay on this tour – Hue-. The cooking class is really nice, I tink it was 20Us…. a lot of food too. The tailors can make anything you want….. I made a whool jacket… the girls really made wedding Oscars magazines dresses…. if you don´t whant to waist time… go to the magazines before you get there, it is easear……..

• 8 Sep 2012 Sam said

Sam

im doing the indochina trip in april, which covers vietnam exp aswel so i may see you out there.

• 10 Sep 2012 Explorer~1987 said

Explorer~1987

Hi sam, if you are doing the 14th April indochina trip i will be joining you in Vietnam!

• 15 Nov 2012 Kayla said

Kayla

what date does your tour start? was considering booking the april 27 departure

• 26 Nov 2012 Lu said

Lu

You definitely don’t need a sleeping bag or towel all the hotels are really nice.

$700-800 will be more than enough everything is so cheap I definitely spent a lot less than I thought I would and didn’t have to have a strict budget at all.

It’s so much fun you’ll love it!

• 5 Jan 2013 penny said

penny

it’s a great experience, I did it last year Sep-Oct I agree with Lu no need for towels/sleeping bags, all the hotels you’ll be hopping on provide them 3-4 star hotels. Jacket?-Try and get your own picture of the design you want already so that when you get to Hue-Yaly you give them the picture of what you want,choose your fabric,they’ll do measurements etc. within a day/two with fittings in between, it’s all done,nightmarkets are also affordable selling both western and eastern designs for way less. You have more than enough cash ..a dollar is King there, lol,enjoy! Penny

• 7 Feb 2013 JaydeB said

JaydeB

The asian contiki tours are a little more luxury than other tours as everything is just so cheap.
    I did the Vietnam tour last year, I ended up spending less money that what I would in a normal week at home. Food is just cheap and so is alcohol, a bowl of Pho is around $1 and beer ranges from 50c to $1.50 a bottle. The most expensive drinking is on the cruise in Ha Long bay where they charge $10 for corkage – which we all though was so expensive in comparison to everything else!in the 2 and a half weeks I spent there I spent around $500 in spending money for everything I needed.
    I found the tailors in Hoian very worth while, and I had my clothese shipped home which saved a lot of space in my bag.
    Dont forget to barter! they add a ‘white persons tax’ to everything its also a bit of fun!

• 9 Feb 2013 Maggie said

Maggie

@ Penny what was the weather like in Sep/Oct?? Im doing the Vietnam Experience 28Sep departure and was wondering about the weather? Monsoon seems to happen a lot…. is it hot/clammy during the day and whats the opprtunity to chill & sunbathe??

• 10 Feb 2013 penny said

penny

@Maggie-RAIN? no need to worry about the monsoon rains during Sep/Oct…they begin late Oct beginning Nov, during the tour there are light rains, but they never last for too long…the longest was about 20mins, sometimes it rains just once a day or never at all until you move to the next city-you can get a light raincoat for about 20Dongs on their streetmarkets-way less than a dollar.It’s too hot and you get sticky..so the rain? you’ll enjoy as it’ll cool you down……the weather is perfect for chilling and sunbathing depending on the city you’re in and the duration you’ll spend there..and also depending on the extras they provide that you’ll choose to participate in(check the tour details)—-I hope you’ll have fun Maggie

• 18 Mar 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

@Jayde thanks for filling me on the price of everything there since my last visit there in 2009.I am going back at the end of this year but on a Gecko’s Tour due to being over the age of 35 now My Agent was very reluctant to book me on a Contiki tour to Vietnam this year thinking I won’t get on or worse they will make me pay single supplement even though I am a past Insight and Contiki Customer which qualifies me for a 5% discount.I don’t drink so that keeps the price of everything down for me,But Food Wise It’s excellent quality without costing the earth.I’ll most likely be getting some new pants done for work purposes when I am in Hoian while I am there.

• 19 Mar 2013 Richard said

Richard

Food in Vietnam is SO CHEAP! I havent personally been but mates who’ve just returned are saying there’s $2 bowls of noodles and $1 pork rolls.

I’m fairly certain I’ll be eating too much when I go there later this year.

• 19 Mar 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

I’ll let you in on something Richard….The Noodle Bowls are nothing like what they sell here at a Westfield Food Court or the Vietnamese Areas along Hanson Rd(I am from Adelaide if they is any indication).

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.