Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Euro Panorama- Aug 13

2 Jul 2012 Sam said

Default_avatar

Hey all, I'm going on the European Panorama tour Aug 13, just wondering what it's like and who else is going on it

• 8 Jul 2012 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

Hi Sam, I don’t know what it’s like but I’m going on this tour too! Where are you from?

• 8 Jul 2012 Sam said

Default_avatar

I’m from Canbera, first time going on a contiki tour. how about you?

• 8 Jul 2012 Sam said

Default_avatar

I’m from Canberra, and this is my first time doing a contiki tour. How abou you?

• 8 Jul 2012 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

I’m a Melbourne girl. This is my second Contiki trip -. I did the NZ Grand Explorer with my sister and her best friend over the New Year. So excited to finally be going to Europe though I’m a bit nervous as I’m alone this time round! Are you travelling with friends or by yourself?

• 9 Jul 2012 victoria said

Default_avatar

Hey Sam and Fi, I’m also going on this tour! I’m from Sydney and its also my first contiki tour :)

• 10 Jul 2012 Sam said

Default_avatar

I’m just going by myself, and I’m gonna be going round the UK before I link up with the tour in London :)

• 10 Jul 2012 victoria said

Default_avatar

Are you guys staying at the Royal National before the tour? I’ll also be in the UK before it starts.

• 10 Jul 2012 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

Yep I am from from 11th. How about you?

• 10 Jul 2012 victoria said

Default_avatar

I am too from the 9th :)

• 10 Jul 2012 Sam said

Default_avatar

nah, royal national’s all booked out, think I’ll just stay at a hostel nearby

• 10 Jul 2012 Maverick81 said

Maverick81

I went on the tour a few years back and had a blast. What do you want to know??

• 11 Jul 2012 Sam said

Default_avatar

did you get enough time to see everything on the tour, what was the accomodation like, stuff like that

• 11 Jul 2012 Maverick81 said

Maverick81

It’s 100% impossible to see everything especially in cities like Paris and Rome. I would suggest picking a few must see sites and going from there. It also depends on the people you spend the day with since some have an agenda and some have no idea what there’s to do. Hotels varied wildly. Some like the one in Austria and nice were great while the Italian ones were IMO terrible. I think one of the ones in Italy simply was a shower head with a toilet and sink all in a 4 foot room. Just take it for what it is and realize you don’t spend much time there.

• 11 Jul 2012 Fi_459305 said

Fi_459305

Do you guys want to meet up when I arrive? It would be nice to have someone to hang out with the two days before the tour starts! I wish I’d known we could’ve stayed there longer – the Contiki person who booked my tour said we could only stay an extra 2 days before/after the tour :-(

Maverick, when you say the hotels were “terrible” were they just small/basic or were they also icky/unsafe? And where did you stay in Nice? The hotel we’re staying in at Nice (Hotel Bristol) has some pretty awful reviews on Trip Adviser… I was hoping they were written by people with overly high expectations!!!!

Maverick81

I never felt that unsafe in any of the hotels but I would lock the zippers if at all possible. Some were small and basic but I never thought they were totally unclean. I think as Americans we tend to assume certain things about all hotels and need to remind ourselves that we’re not in Kansas anymore. The bathrooms were a little weird like I mentioned before, such as no shower curtains. Not a deal breaker, just different. As for the hotel reviews it’s still someones opinion and I always think of the old rule of if you have a good experience you tell 2 people and if you have a bad experience you tell 10.

• 11 Jul 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

I just did this tour and can say that the hotel in Nice (French Riviera) is extremely ghetto and in a very bad area of town. Also, the contiki village you stay at in Corfu may have the best view in town, but watch out for ants. my room was infested with them. There may have been one other hotel to watch out for, but the rest are good (best two are in Barcelona and Vienna). That’s assuming you guys stay at the same hotels my tour stayed at. All in all, you’re going to have a great time on this trip mainly because of your tourmates. It’s really awesome how close you get while only spending 4 weeks together.

• 11 Jul 2012 victoria said

Default_avatar

Hey Fi, I’m happy to meet up before the tour starts :) and to the guys that went on the tour, do you have any other advice such as what you wish you would have known/ what to look out for/ any thing that went wrong/ anything you wish you had packed and forgot and did you use mainly cash or cards in places you went?
    Also, any places/ venues you highly recommend going to whilst on the tour?
    Thanks!

Maverick81

Again this is just my opinion but I was very selective in the optionals. I didn’t do a lot of the really pricey ones like moulin rouge, flamenco in Barcelona, and the Vienna concert. However there was always a group of people who thought then same. Always ask your new friends what their plans are in the morning and at night. I used cash mostly since I could keep better track of my spending.
    Def go to Sacre Cour in Paris, and having lived in Barcelona, the best bars and clubs are in the gothic quarter and near the port. Do the whitewater rafting in Austria…..awesome!
    Anything else let me know.

• 11 Jul 2012 Sam said

Default_avatar

Hey Fi, I’d love to meet up before the tour. I’ll be back in London on the 12th and it’d be nice to get to know some people before the tour strted

• 11 Jul 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

I did every optional except for the Mozart Concert and the bike ride in Austria. Everyone on my tour pretty much did every optional. The two that I didn’t do were the only ones that not many people did. They’re a very good way to get to know your tour mates early on in the tour. Also, a few of the optionals come with dinner so that saves you from having to find somewhere to eat. So my advice is to do every optional, especially the white water rafting in Austria and the bungee jumping in the Swiss Alps. I used cash because, being from Canada, since they don’t offer travel cards here, it was my only option. Most of the Australians on the tour used travel cards though, and they seemed to work fine. Look out for pick pocketers in Barcelona. Make sure you bring dress clothes. Just bring one long-sleeve shirt/hoodie as it can get cold on the bus.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion