Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Stop me from getting fat in Europe!

9 Aug 2006 10shii said

Default_avatar
Hi there,

I'm quite worried about this, because whenever I go overseas, I always gain weight which REALLY REALLY annoys me because of lack of exercise and always eat junk food. I know that I can't cut down on foods, because in Europe, I really want to try everything! But I also want to look amazingly healthy and trim for my euro boys haha!

Please help with tips?
  • 9 Aug 2006 10shii said

Default_avatar

See, I went to the U.S last December and we walked HEAPS in NY, but the problem was… we pretty much ate burgers everywhere… TGIs and all those other places Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> We walked heaps, but for some reason, it didn’t seem to offset the weight we were gaining… like we could feel that we were fattier.. and I’m working my butt off to build muscle that will diminish straight after my Eurotrip! Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 9 Aug 2006 ptooma said

Default_avatar

If the walking doesn’t keep your weight in check … your diminished appetite from the Contiki Cough will do the rest. Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

-Vic

• 9 Aug 2006 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Contiki Cough [noun];

A common condition that some Contiki participants may experience while on tour. Such symptoms may include, but are not limited to; the common cold, cough, fever, sore thoat, or a combination of all the ailments. The belief behind the cause of this affliction is that these participants may lack sleep, party too hard, drink too much or a combiniation of all of the above while on tour. This generally does not bode well for their immune system, and due to the unfamilar environment and stresses, participants acquire this extra tour experience.
    Generally, Contiki participants spend many hours in close confines of their humble abode (aka, the “coach”) and once one person falls ill, the likely hood of their malady being shared with other is quite high (don’t want to be greedy now, do we? Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> ). Secondly, perhaps the coach’s A/C vents may be harbouring reminants/stragglers (ie. germs) from past Contikiers. This is still just pure speculation from the author and has not been scientifically verified.
    Lastly, many Contikiers generally spend an extra night or two before the tour at the exquisite suites/confines of The Royal National or the Imperial Hotels (or some equally close establishment). Seeing as how many participants are not wealthy, the author tends to believe that the solo participants may opt to reserve a shared suite prior to their tour. Who these participants get as roommates is another individual who is there before a tour, or at the end of a tour. If both individuals are pretour participants, then they are both generally healthy, but should one of the individuals be at the end of their tour, they may be afflicted by, or be carrying some form of the Contiki Cough and will likely pass it on to the pretour individual. And this pretour individual brings this souvenir/momento along to share with others on the coach … and so the vicious cycle continues …

But as I said, this is all still pure speculation. Some get sick and some don’t.

Contiki Cough Message Thread

- Vic

• 9 Aug 2006 Sarah Smiles said

Default_avatar

HAHAHA Vic, you are hilarious! But soooo true! The Contiki Cough on my tour was actually started by our TM (another common source of the virus). I avoided it by drinking plenty of water, taking multi-vitamins everyday before and during my tour, not partying TOO hard and getting as much rest as possible on a Contiki. I agreee with Nessy, that you should bring cold medicine with you. If you might get it at home, you might get it on tour so be prepared! On my tour we had everything from the Contiki Cough to pink eye, strep throat and even chicken pox! You know what medicines work for you in your country but you may not be able to find them in Europe so it is better to be prepared and take some with you Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Stay healthy!
    Sarah

• 10 Aug 2006 10shii said

Default_avatar

Soooo not expecting to catch all this nasty stuff? I don’t even take cold/cough medicines in Australia for getting the common cold.. what am I meant to do? argh.

But yeah.. I want to be skinny skinny cos after the contiki, I’m getting off in France and hanging around with beautiful french boys ;[

• 10 Aug 2006 PinaI said

PinaI

I got the cough…on both my tours and it wiped me out for 3 days each time…not good!

Definitely take vitamins and give your body a break every now and then.

As for putting on weight, I’d be surprised if you did because the amount of walking you do more than covers the food you eat! Well, it should…!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion