Community_discussions_small  

Question

Camera Advice?

7 Jul 2012 Joseph asked

Joseph

Hey everyone! I'm going to Scandinavia this August and I'm wondering what kind of camera I should bring. For you photography gurus, I usually carry a Canon Rebel EOS, but I'm considering carrying something small and lightweight. Is it worth it to lug around a professional grade camera (for the awe-inspiring scenery), or is it easier to have something cheap and pocket sized? This is my first tour with Contiki.

All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

• 9 Jul 2012 milo_da_vinci said

milo_da_vinci

Like you I have a bulky camera but I found that it was easier to have a small camera stashed in my pocket for those quick moments of needing a camera. It really is up to you but small is sometimes better

• 9 Jul 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Cool, that sounds like the better option. What are the specs on your small camera? I don’t want to sacrifice quality too much, and I also want something that’s quick at capturing even in low light.

• 9 Jul 2012 Jasmin said

Jasmin

use http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/ to get a general idea of what you want (helped me so much on my first trip – bought it at duty free and read the instructions on the trip over). Small is good – get extra memory and take heaps of pics and delete the ones that didn’t work at the end of the day

• 10 Jul 2012 amber said

amber

I also used the website mentioned above, it helped me find my camera. I know absolutely nothing about cameras but I knew I wanted something small & easy to use with a great zoom. I’m going in September & I just bought my new camera the other day so I can play around with it before I go.

• 10 Jul 2012 milo_da_vinci said

milo_da_vinci

The website link is the best one to find the right camera for you, I usully go for in my smaller cameras a nikon or cannon

• 10 Jul 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Awesome! Thank you ladies, this helps a lot!

• 10 Jul 2012 milo_da_vinci said

milo_da_vinci

Just rerember the if you go for cheap quailty, you are going to get bad quality
    this is a thing to think about and really have a look into

• 14 Jul 2012 cdm115 said

cdm115

I always take my DSLR with me, the photo quality is much better. But if you’re not familiar with using some of the manual settings then it’s not worth it to lug around. But it is nice to have a pocket sized camera or a cell phone camera too, especially if you’re out and just want pictures of hanging out with friends or clubbing – then you don’t want a big DSLR with you.

• 17 Jul 2012 Joseph said

Joseph

Yeah that is an issue for me. I’m pretty picky about the quality.

However, for the sake of being pragmatic, I think I’ll stick with the smaller camera.

• 20 Jul 2012 Jess said

Jess

I’m having the same problem, travelling for 9 weeks tho and not only will it be a pain to lugg around but will also take up a lot of space! I’ve got a new Panasonic lumex tough. Had one before but it’s been thought the ringer with my travels so ive just updated, I love it! Best camera (other than DSLR) I’ve had! Plus it’s water proof… Still struggling with the decision to leave the big one at home but I’m just not sure it worth the hassle.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.