Community_discussions_small  

Question

Am I a bit too old to travel with Contiki?

7 Jul 2010 Adventurer101 asked

Default_avatar
Ok so I made the rash decision to go on my very first contiki during DEC/JAN this year... thhe thing is, I'm 29yo. I'm just a little worried that becoz Contiki have a rep for young travellers partying (which I don't mind!) will I be able to mingle with everyone?
I consider myself quite socialble, but as I will be on the tour during NYE, I really don't want to be left out and stuck in my hotel room Frowner
Sounds a little immature I know, but it's my first trip/tour on my own and I hope to make it a good one.
Would appreciate any advice from those who have been in the same situation as I, and how you overcame a similar paranoia... thanks!
  • 8 Jul 2010 Adventurer101 said

Default_avatar

Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Minxy I hope you have a great time on your tour next month… will def check out the forums prior to when I take off.

• 8 Jul 2010 Sutho said

Default_avatar

Dont worry about it. I am 28 and just did one and there were older people than me. Besides some of the younger ones cant tell the difference anyway and some of them dont look their age and look allot older than they are.

• 8 Jul 2010 PinaI said

PinaI

You will be absolutely fine. 29 is not really that old!

Only thing I can suggest is that you make an effort to talk to everyone when the trip first starts. By doing that, you’ll get to know who you like, don’t like, what people’s plans are for the trip (so you can hang with those who want to see/do what you want to see/do) etc.

Ultimately, everyone is there to see the sights and have a good time!

• 8 Jul 2010 Minxy said

Default_avatar

No, you will not be too old. I’m 29, nearly 30 and I’m going on my first tour in August. Remember that you are only as old as you feel. I was also worried about my age, but I was able to get in contact via the forums and I found I wasn’t the only person who wasn’t 25 and younger.

Use the forums to find your tour mates and talk to them. Be yourself, and have fun.

• 8 Jul 2010 Aussie Nat said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    I think some tours attract more of a younger party crowd than others, but I don’t think you’ll have any problems just be social Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Actually when I did the Egypt Contiki last year the average age was late 20s, I was the youngest being 20 and got along with everyone great. We also had a 40 and 38 year old on the tour (older than Contiki’s 35 cutoff lol)

• 9 Jul 2010 Sutho said

Default_avatar

I didnt mention earlier that its not just age people worry about.

Unfortunately there are not very nice people in the world who are snobs and automatically dont like someone based on looks, build, personality, job, social demographic background etc. Its not just age, as I said people will hardly notice.

• 12 Jul 2010 Explorer1191862 said

Default_avatar

No way! I’m 19 and am living in the UK for the year – the youngest of my close friends here is 23, and the oldest 35! Age really isn’t a factor – 29 is still really young, don’t worry about it! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> You’ll have a great time on your trip

• 13 Jul 2010 NSklar said

Default_avatar

i agree with everyone as well, although with everyone responding im sure you feel reasured but thought i would add a little to!

I am only 20 and i have to say you might like to party more then me! i dotn tend to go out at all and was worrying about going on my trip in september! but everyones right just go and have fun and do your thing! some will party harder and some wont party at all! everyone finds the right place for them to fit in!

• 14 Jul 2010 Adventurer101 said

Default_avatar

Awww thanks for the excouragement guys Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    I feel so much better… and amazingly I have found a couple of people going on the same tour so very excited Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Good luck everyone with their travels Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 15 Jul 2010 Joe said

Joe

I went on my first Contiki last year at 35 and I had a blast, I’m going this year at 36. Have fun.

• 20 Jul 2010 Dynamite_J said

Dynamite_J

Hi there, you’ll be suprised this worries more people that you realise. I am 31yrs and I am going on my first contiki next month. I am ofcourse worrying that I will be the oldest on the tour, but it will be an experience for me and I guess I will learn more about myself and how I interact with other people. I’ve also opted to share a double room as opposed to single occupancy. Hopefully contiki will find me someone roughly the same age so thats one friend already! You are not alone, everyone worries to some extent.

• 22 Jul 2010 Explorer1175553 said

Default_avatar

I am on a timeout tour right now and being 33, I worried about it a bit too. What a waste of time that was! From the time I got on the bus I’ve had nothing but fun. The ages vary alot but everyone is getting along fine. I’ve gone out with the group most nights but some ppl decide not to go at all, some go for a little while and others stay out really late. Overall you will probably find out that nothing on the tour is the way you pictured it anyway. It’s actually way better than I thought it would be! Feel free to ask me any other questions :]

• 22 Jul 2010 Adventurer101 said

Default_avatar

the positive advice just keep pouring in… keep it coming guys Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Joe have a fantastic time on your tavels!
    Bing… I have a feeling you are going to love it, keep me posted how it all pans out Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

oooh yes please Exp1175553 – what are the sleeping arrangements like? Do they change it up with each destination or once you’re paired that’s it?
    Oh! And how have you packed? Backpack vs suitcase?
    If I think of any more questions I will def let you know Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Thanks heaps

• 29 Jul 2010 Lou said

Default_avatar

HAHAHA.
    Im part of the oldies gang!
    The day finally came.. I’m 32 going on Euro Discovery … i dont care what it looks like Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Using my sister as socially acceptable “entry ticket”, she is 21
    :-p
    :-0

• 29 Jul 2010 Explorer1196065 said

Default_avatar

I’ll be turning 30 on the Winter Wanderer tour in January! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 1 Sep 2010 Jimena said

Default_avatar

I’ve done 3 contiki tours solo…two at 27 and the other one at 29 and it was great. There was a lot people my age and older..

Now I’m 33 and I will be doing two more trips this winter!! So don’t worry. What I would recommend is to book a shared room, not a single one, it’s a lot easier when you have a roommate that is usually in the same situation as you.

• 1 Sep 2010 beckybc said

beckybc

On my tour I was 19 and the two people I became closest to were 26 and 27…age really doesn’t matter at all!

• 2 Sep 2010 Explorer1175553 said

Default_avatar

Sorry for the late reply.
    1.Sleeping arrangements stayed the same from day one. I think some ppl swapped occasionally. There was an odd number of solo ppl on my tour so I got a free upgrade to a sgl room! Not sure that was such a good thing though…
    2.Definately suitcase. Only so can fit stuff in that you buy, pack light though!

I hope you have a great time!!

• 5 Sep 2010 Hugo1973 said

Default_avatar

You are absolutely not too old. I did three contiki tours and had a wonderful time everything Tour. Last year i went to THE UK at age 35. I am planning my last contiki Tour now for october. Will be 37 then. I called contiki and will most likely able to join as long as i book a seperate room. So don’t sorry about the age.

• 20 Sep 2010 TravelBug79 said

Default_avatar

I’m 31 and will be taking my first Contiki this year.
    I wouldn’t worry about it, people always think i’m much youger so maybe i’ll just make sure the greys are covered before I go and they’ll be none the wiser. LOL
    Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.