Community_discussions_small  

Question

Advice for an 18 year old considering Europe tour?

18 Jul 2012 Andrew asked

Default_avatar

Hi,

I'm 18, considering a contiki tour in Europe. I have a few questions;

1) Is there any way to find out the age groups of the group? Will there be other people there of a similar age to myself?

2) What tours would you recommend for an 18 y/o - I was really keen to do the Ultimate European tour, but because of it's length & price, I don't know if there would be other people with a similar age to myself. Has anybody done a contiki tour when they were 18/19? How did you find it? What tour did you do?

Appreciate any advice / thoughts - it's such a tough decision!

Thanks!

• 18 Jul 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

1) The more expensive tours (Superior) are usually an older group. I did one (Panorama) this past spring and the majority of the group was mid to late 20s. We had a few people that were younger (youngest was 18). We met a few concept/budget tours and they seemed to be younger (late teens, early 20s).

2) Any tour is good, it just depends how much money you have and what you’re looking at getting from it. Personally, I wouldnt have done a Contiki tour when I was 18. I probably could have handled it, but I don’t really know if I would have apprecaited it as much. But don’t let that stop you from going if yo ureally want to go. I’d say, do a shorter one at first (maybe 2 weeks) then in a few years once you’re done school or whatever it is you’re doing, go back and do a longer one

• 18 Jul 2012 Andrew said

Default_avatar

Thanks for your reply – I thought that would have been the case with the more expensive/longer tours.

I’m kinda new to Contiki so I dont know what is involved in the concept/budget tours (accommodation wise?). Any recommendations?

RJ1817

superior tours stay in hotels, concept/budget tours stay in hostels (a few hotels) or contiki villages. I don’t really know anything about their concept tour accomodations but I havent really heard anything bad about them. I’m sure they’re fine.

Like I said, it’s really up to you.

The only advice I would give you is to make sure you have more than enough money to go. I talked to a few people on other tours, and they actually said they took out a loan to go on their trip, which I personally think is an extremely dumb idea. There’s really no sense in going if you don’t have enough money. Europe will be there next year…

Default_avatar

Yeah, I have saved more than enough money! I’m just more keen on a medium-length tour that would have people around my age in it.

RJ1817

I understand what you mean, but to be honest, no one really cares about people’s age on these tours. At least they didn’t on mine. Some days I hung out with a 32 year old, some days I hung out with a 25 year old, and some days I hung out with an 18 year old. No one’s going to exile you from the group because of your age. Chances are you’ll have other people around your age on any tour anyways

Default_avatar

That’s reassuring. Thanks for your help :)

• 19 Jul 2012 kellym777 said

kellym777

I did a tour though america in 2008 and the ages of the people on my tour were between 18 and 36 and we all got along great! age is nothing but a number, you will find plenty of new friends as everyone is there for the same reason :)

• 19 Jul 2012 Andrew said

Default_avatar

Well i’m after a medium length tour with people around my age preferably. Anybody have any recommendations (one of the see as much as you can of europe tours)?

• 19 Jul 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

Panorama, although, it’s longer, but IMO the best bang for the buck

• 19 Jul 2012 Andrew said

Default_avatar

Yeah, I was looking at that and thought it would be a good choice. Last date is already fully booked.. bugger.

Thanks for your advice so far, much appreciated :)

• 22 Jul 2012 Kiwikarly86 said

Kiwikarly86

I have just come back from the Ultimate European. I am 25 and was in the middle of the ages. We had 2 18 year olds, a couple of 19 year olds, a lot of 21-27 year olds and 3 34 year olds. Don’t let age hold you back. Natalie (the youngest) had a blast and as far as I know didn’t get homesick once. She even did another tour after our one!! As long as you have enough money and independence then go for it. Before i went I set up a Facebook page for my group so we could get to know each other before we went. Happy travelling :)

• 31 Jul 2012 agusti said

agusti

hey!!! I’m 18 years old and still looking for a contiki tour that really suits me!! have u find anyone yet?

• 31 Jul 2012 agusti said

agusti

European tour, of course!

• 1 Aug 2012 Georgina said

Georgina

Hey!
    I only just turned 19 this year and have booked to go on the winter wanderer tour (24 days) at the end of the year. I’ve never been on a contiki tour either. :)

• 2 Aug 2012 Dylan said

Dylan

Hey!
    We are both 18 and have booked the European Inspiration 12th Dec 2012!!!

• 3 Aug 2012 Andrew said

Default_avatar

I’ve booked to go on the European Panorama in September :)

• 2 Nov 2012 Megan said

Megan

Im 19 and ive booked to do the Easy Rider tour. Its a 32 day camping tour and i think there will be more people our age rather than people in their late 20’s and stuff.

• 2 Nov 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

Hey i will also be 18 when i go, i have decided to go on the contrasts tour on august 16th next year.

• 2 Nov 2012 Lauren said

Lauren

Hey i will also be 18 when i go, i have decided to go on the contrasts tour on august 16th next year.

• 2 Nov 2012 jannamae said

jannamae

Hey, i will be 18 when i go on my first contiki too! i decided to go on the European Explorer plus greek island cruising leaving the 28th of June 2013!! i dont fully know what to expect, but i am positive that it will be great no matter what! :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion