Community_discussions_small  

Question

Aussie Explorer starting in Darwin January 2013

19 Jul 2012 MadisenK asked

MadisenK

Hello! Just curious if anyone is going on this this trip! would love to talk with fellow travelers :)

• 20 Jul 2012 davorah said

davorah

I have booked the The Big Walkabout – which I beleive is the same as the Aussie Explorer for Janurary 2013 as well. Which departure date did you choose?

• 30 Jul 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Hello! :) I am doing the Big Walkabout in jan 2013 aswell. Are you both departing on the 23rd?

• 30 Jul 2012 davorah said

davorah

Yes I have. I am doing a 3 day tour of Melbourne before and doing a New Zealand tour after. Where are you from?

• 31 Jul 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Cool! I’m from Scotland (: I’m currrently in Western Australia working. Are you doing the Sailing on the Whitsundays aswell?

• 31 Jul 2012 davorah said

davorah

Awesome what type of work are you doing? No I’m not doing the sailing portion. I am from Toronto. How long have you been in Australia for?

• 31 Jul 2012 MadisenK said

MadisenK

Im pretty sure that is my date that I leave on too!! I’m so excited, I’m from California

davorah

Awesome another traveler – what part of California are you from? Any travel plans after the tour?

• 31 Jul 2012 MadisenK said

MadisenK

I’m from southern California, orange county! No other tours yet, this will be my first! Have you done any other tours before?

davorah

Awesome, you are going to enjoy it!! I have done two other European tours with Contiki, I had a fabolous time. The first one I did with a friend and the second I went alone.

• 31 Jul 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Yeah i’m just doing restaurant work just to get that little bit extra money (: Thats cool! Where are you staying in oz at the moment? I’ve just been in WA for a month now. Do you know how many people go on the tour?

davorah

I am still in Toronto; I am probably leaving for Australia probably Jan 17 or 18. I have to book my flight still. Sounds good, not too bad, how do you like it so far, which city are you staying in WA. I would think may be 40 – 50 people on the tour. I had about 40 on my European tours; I am assuming there would be the same amount of people.

• 1 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Aw wow that’s awesome. Look into STA Travel they usually have pretty cheap flights! Yeah I’m enjoying it so far, it can get pretty cold at night in oz, so i can’t wait till summer comes! I’m staying in Perth with family (: That’s quite a lot of people, did you have to bring a lot of spending money with you on the other Contiki tours that you did or was everything pretty much covered?

• 1 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your time there. A couple on one of European tours were from Perth. I can imagine waiting for the warm weather, although we still have summer here for another month or so, the idea of colder weather approaching isnt very pleasant. I would say it would be closer to 40 people, the tour group usually fills up one coach bus. Some of the activities are not included but there are options, I believe I paid these in cash, but can’t remember is Visa is accepted. If you look at the itineray online – the option excrusions are listed and the price as well. For meals, most of them are included, whichever are listed under the itinerary . Usually lunches and dinners are the meals that you will need to cover yourself. Thanks for flights advice, I will look into that.

• 2 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Yeah well least it will be summer when we are doing the tour, however it probably will be so hot! Ah right, well the more the merrier. I checked out the itinerary and there is some extra things to do on certain days like surf lessons etc which are only like $50 which is alright. Are you planning on flying straight to Darwin first or stopping off somewhere then heading to Darwin?

• 2 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Hey Madisen are you doing the sailing aswell? (:

• 2 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

I know it is going to be quite hot, I enjoy the heat but not the humidity. Our summer has been very humid, feeling up to plus 40 degrees, it hasn’t been pleasant. Some of the extras look good, I guess decide more once on the trip, as we will be given a list at the beginning of the tour and choose what we want to do, as that is what happened on my Europe trip. I am flying to Melbourne first and then flying from there to Darwin.

• 3 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Yeah same, hopefully we’ll get a super tan in that type of heat ha ha! The extra’s look good but will just have to see what we want to do when we are actually on the tour. I really want to do some diving or snorkeling on the reef. Aw that’s cool, I’m flying to Sydney first then up to Darwin. I can’t wait till January now! :D

• 3 Aug 2012 MadisenK said

MadisenK

Thank you so much for all the tips and information!! And no, I didn’t sign up for the sailing , but I’m right there with you I want to get super tan:) I really want to snorkel the reef too! I’m ready for it to be January already! I’m flying into Sydney from Los Angeles ( which is about a 15 hour flight) then into Darwin! Yay

• 3 Aug 2012 MadisenK said

MadisenK

I will check the day that I fly in:) and let you guys know!

• 3 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Yeah i can’t wait!! :) Cool, how long will you been in Sydney for? Cause I’ve got a flight on the 21st then i’ll be flying up to Darwin.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.