Community_discussions_small  

Question

Aussie Explorer starting in Darwin January 2013

19 Jul 2012 MadisenK asked

MadisenK

Hello! Just curious if anyone is going on this this trip! would love to talk with fellow travelers :)

• 3 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

Ya I would love to do some snorkelling on the reef as well!! I am sure we will have a chance. I looked at the itinerary and we will have 2 days in Carins and scuba diving or snorkeling is an optional excursion.Hopefully my tan from my New Year’s Caribbean cruise will help as a base for this trip! I can’t wait for January either, it will be here before we know it. Do you guys like chocolate? There is a chocolate restuarant called Koko Black – most of the locations are in Melbourne I believe – my sister tried it when she was in Australia and says it is a must. There is also Max Brenner – which is good, I have tried it in Las Vegas and Israel. We tried to visit it in Boston as well – but not enough time.

• 4 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Yeah It will be amazing, is it part of the itinerary or is it one you have to pay extra to do? Hahah I know i’m going to try and get very tanned before the tour! I really don’t want to go home pale after being here for like 8 months haha! The cruise will be absolutely amazing :) I love chocolate, don’t think i’ll be visiting Melbourne though but i’ll keep a look out for the restaurant.

• 4 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

Yes I am quite excited for the cruise, everything is booked for it now I all I have to do is wait!! We are doing a southern caribbean cruise – so we are visiting quite a number of islands I think 5. The cruise starts in San Juan Puerto Rico, which is quite nice and we will have a few days before and after the cruise to enjoy the city. You will for sure get some sort of tan as we will be outside quite a bit touring and we will have time at the beach which is going to be nice. It looks like it is an optional excursion. May be you can choose to do a private excursion from a tour company there if you don’t like the contki ones.

Yes if you do see KoKo Black try it out, if not try out Max Brenner, I was looking at their site and there quite a number of locations in Sydney and other places in Australia. I booked my Melbourne tour – it goes from Sydney to Melbourne its 3 days. So I will be flying into Sydney from Toronto on the 17th and arriving on the 19th for my tour. The flying on the 22nd from Melbourne to Darwin.

• 6 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Wow, that sounds absolutely amazing. I’m quite jealous that you are going to Puerto Rico it looks like a beautiful place. Yeah i’m sure we will all have a great tan by the end of the tour. Hmm.. i’m sure the one that is included will be just as good, we will see. I was just thinking, do you think we will be doing the exact same tour even though I am doing the one that includes the sailing trip? Because that would be a bit rubbish If we weren’t.

Well I actually searched that Koko Black and there happens to be one in the West coast so I’ll have to check that out at some point :) is it a cafe as well? Really can’t wait for the tour now, I just wish it was like January now hahaha

• 6 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

Ya I think we are going to be on the same tour where you go on the sailing portion we stay on the resort. Ya puerto Rico is quite nice it’s more of a European city than American.  I hope you get to try koko black, I’m going to try to go in Melbourne. Ya I think it’s a cafe as well where you can sit down but I’m not sure if all of the locations are a cafe and a store or just a store

• 23 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

hey I just booked all of my flights today I arrive in Sydney on the 18th of Jan and I am doing a 3 day tour which starts in Sydney and ends in Melbourne where I have an extra night there. I will be flying into Darwin on the 22nd. WOO!!! Im excited!

• 23 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Woo! Awesome, My flight is then aswell (: I still need to figure out accomodation for that one night in Darwin. Do you know of any places? Plus do you think we get picked up by the tour or will we meet them somewhere? I found a KoKo Black in WA and i’m going today, very excited :D I’ll let you know how it was.

• 24 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

I just booked a night of accomodation for that through Contiki I believe its at a Days Inn hotel or something. What time does your flight arrive on the 22nd? We will meet somewhere, usually at a hotel probably the one I have booked or it might say on the itineray. It will say when you get your documents where the tour starts and where to meet. Enjoy KoKo Black and yes tell me how it is.

• 29 Aug 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Oh right cool, I’ll have a look into that hotel. I think it arrives at 2.30 in the afternoon :) We could maybe try and meet up before for coffee or whatever. KoKo Black was amazing by the way, probably ate far too much chocolate but whatever haha! I got the sharing platter with my friend it was soo yummy. Thank you for recommending it!

• 30 Aug 2012 davorah said

davorah

My flight arrives in Darwin at 11:30am, yes for sure, we shall meet up before and do whatever, I am easy. We can iron out the details once you have booked your hotel stay. No problem, glad to hear that you enjoyed KoKo Black, I am looking forward to trying it in Melbourne, you can never have too much chocolate. I have looked at the itinerary and this day (22nd) is free for what we want to do, so we can explore the city a little bit and go out for dinner somewhere. We can see when we are there. Time is going quite quickly, I can’t believe it is almost September and before we know it, it will be January.

• 11 Sep 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Yeah that’s cool, i’ll try and look into my accommodation asap. I know my point exactly, you can never have too much chocolate haha! Where are we on day 22, Sydney? I know I can’t believe we are actually like half way into September already it’s crazy. So excited about the tour already! :D

• 11 Sep 2012 davorah said

davorah

I meant January 22nd – that we have a free day to explore until we meet everyone to start the tour the next day.

• 19 Sep 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Oh right haha! Yeah that sounds cool. Have you decided on any other activities you want to do on the tour, out of the optional ones (hot air ballooning etc) ?

• 19 Sep 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Not long now guys! :D

• 21 Sep 2012 davorah said

davorah

No I haven’t really looked into the optionals – which ones were you interested in doing?

• 4 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

Sorry to interupt but i’m also doing this tour!

• 4 Oct 2012 davorah said

davorah

No worries, welcome!! Do you have your flights all sorted out, and where are you from? Can’t wait till this tour starts!!!

• 4 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

Yep all sorted!! Flying straight to Darwin but I arrive at 2:00am on the day of the tour :/ so that’s going to be interesting! Read in one of your posts though that the first day is free for us to do what we want? England for me. I’m really excited already!

• 4 Oct 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Hey! I’m from the UK also :D So excited for the tour now. And Davorah, I’m quite interested in doing the Hot Air ballooning in Cairns I think it is. They all look pretty cool :)

• 4 Oct 2012 davorah said

davorah
    wow that should be interesting arriving at 2am on the day of the tour. I’m not sure if you are arriving at 2am on the 23rd or the 22nd.Yes well the 22nd of Jan is free for us to do what we want but the tour starts on the 23rd. Hot air ballooning in Cairns does sound interesting – will get a great view!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.