Community_discussions_small  

Question

Aussie Explorer starting in Darwin January 2013

19 Jul 2012 MadisenK asked

MadisenK

Hello! Just curious if anyone is going on this this trip! would love to talk with fellow travelers :)

• 4 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

That’s cool :) where in the U? 2am on the 22nd so we get the 22nd free basically?? that’ll be fine if that’s the case! where’s everyone staying that night in Darwin?

• 4 Oct 2012 davorah said

davorah

Ya you should be fine, you will have time to rest at the hotel. I booked a night through contiki at the travel lodge mirambeena resort – I believe this is where the tour starts from. Where are you staying?

• 4 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

Ah perfect :) I’m flying straight there from London as well so i’m expecting serious jet lag! I haven’t booked that night yet so i was just wondering where everyone else was staying!
    by the way if you haven’t already join the group :) http://www.facebook.com/groups/333652740055949/

• 4 Oct 2012 davorah said

davorah

oh ok, no problem! ya i just booked it there as seemed easiest as the tour starts i believe at 7:30 am. I hope I do not experience bad jet lag – I haven’t in the past but only had a 7 hour time difference and now it will be 16 hours for me – so 9 hours for you. I have a small layover in Vancouver but don’t need to change planes which I am happy about.

• 8 Oct 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Nice to see another member to the group (: I’m actually from Scotland, where are you from? I’m looking into that Mirambeena resort also so it will be easier to just meet everyone there for the tour instead of getting lost in Darwin. I heard that it can get up to 45 + degrees in Darwin hahaha hello heat!

• 12 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

Gloucestershire? Ah ok that makes sense!! one question for everyone…. how did you find out where we’re staying, so what the hotels are?? i’ve got no extra details apart from the ones on the website! exciting! i love the heat :) but that is pretty hot

• 12 Oct 2012 davorah said

davorah

I believe a few weeks before departure you should receive a package from either Contiki – if you booked through them or if booked through a travel agent they shall give it you. This package will have a list of the hotels that we will be staying in along with other information. I received a package like this when I did my contiki tours for Europe. Also, you can give Contiki a call if you wish and ask them for more specifics.

• 12 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

ah ok, it’s only cause everyone except me seems to know where the first hotel is haha. thank you :)

• 12 Oct 2012 davorah said

davorah

Also, in their brochure which you can view online, there is a list of hotels in cities that a tour either starts or finishes where people can add pre or post departure days as an add on and these hotels are usually where the tour starts and ends.

• 16 Oct 2012 Sonja said

Default_avatar

Hi, I’m going on The Big Walkabout ex Darwin on Jan 23rd as well :) Really looking forward!!

• 16 Oct 2012 Sonja said

Default_avatar

I’m from Germany and it’s my first tour with Contiki. Have been to Sydney in 2004 for an English course (only 3 weeks unfortunately). Hope my English is good enough to understand all of you native speakers :) I’ll arrive in Darwin on Jan 23rd at 4:30 AM, the tour starts only 3 hours later. That’s exciting…. uhh…

• 16 Oct 2012 MadisenK said

MadisenK

So excited to meet all of you!!!! This trip will be amazing…

• 17 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

I can’t wait for this trip!! excitingg, little nervous too haha

• 22 Oct 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Woooo, Only 90 days to go ha ha!! Does anyone know what the luggage allowance is? Because i’ve got a pretty big rucksack with me..

• 22 Oct 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

Also – Issy and Sonja are any of you doing the sailing option? :)

• 22 Oct 2012 Sonja said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    I haven’t booked the sailing option (2 nights on a ship might be too hard for me ;-). But I would like to book a day-sail trip when we are on Daydream Island. I think it is possible to book something right there?!

• 22 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

I think it’s 20kgs? that’s airport restictions usually, the tour doesn’t have one as far as i know, they just say be sensible and remember everyone else will have them too.
    Nope, I haven’t booked the sailing bit either. Yeah I’m pretty sure you can book the day’s sailing :)

• 23 Oct 2012 Vivien said

Default_avatar

hahaha :D yeah that would be awesome as well! So far it looks like i’m the only one doing the sailing bit… uhoh. Ah I see that’s fine then, i’m just worried i might end up bringing too much stuff with me. So what are everyone’s plans after the tour? Like is everyone jetting off or staying in Australia for a bit? :)

• 23 Oct 2012 Issy said

Issy

is it like a seperate thing as well? maybe there’s like a whole different group doing it and for us it’s an add on? haha i’m pretty sur it’ll be fine!! I’m staying in Sydney for a week at the end then doing new zeland and fiji. you?

• 23 Oct 2012 davorah said

davorah

I am doing a small tour before this one – it goes Sydney to Melbourne, I fly from Melbourne to Darwin. I am spendng one extra night in Sydney and then doing a New Zealand after on another Contiki tour. The sailing portion was an option add on for anyone, those that are not doing the overnight sailing stay on the resort for those nights, I am sure there are others doing that part of the tour as well, no worries you wont be alone. Issy are you doing a tour for New zealand as well?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion