Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Canadian

12 Oct 2010 Mel said

Mel
I thought I would put up a small review of this trip because there really isn't much
I went on this trip solo and met some amazing people
WARNING this is a modulated tour so technically you are part of 2 tours. From NY to Toronto you are with the Grand Northern crew and it is very sad to leave them.

NY- Arrive a few days early and see the city a lot of people on my tour didn't and regreted it
Boston- Loved it do the trolly tour its actually really good. If you go out at night TAKE YOUR PASSPORT you will not get in otherwise also the hotel is so far out of the way as in $50 for a cab. I was only 20 at the time I didn't bother going out we actually went to Hooters on the second night and had an amazing time.

Quebec City- Was freezing cold and it was June. I recommend exploring the old town area when looking for dinner on the second night. The first night's meal was included the you go across the road to a club which was heaps of fun

Montreal- Do the JET BOAT it was awesome and try and sit at the very front.

Toronto- The pub crawl is on a yellow school bus and it sooooo much fun plus its your last night with the group. We didn't go to bed because we had to be ready at 4am to go to the airport. Note: Grand Canadian don't go to Niagra Some people on my tour went themself on our day in toronto however you will miss out on toronto. I did a day trip by air from NY an dit was fantastic.

Vancouver to Whistler- No sleep is hell when you have to meet a fresh bunch of people. This was not a pretty day.
Whistler- Great optionals I did the paddle excursion which is just paddling a canoe through a lake but it is heaps of fun. Zip lining is soooo much fun do it. and the gondola is a must try and get the silver one when you go between the mountains... some people on my tour organised to go bungee jumping remember that you can do what you want so it is ok to do different things that aren't listed on the tour
Sunday nights in whistler go off be prepared Smiler

Kamloops- Just for sleeping

Jasper- White water rafting YAY everyone got to go in the water on my boat joy.
Have a beaver licker its a shot and its amazing.
I didn't to the lake cruise because i have been on way to many boats already but i heard it was good. Instead of the cruise I went to Lake Annette other wise known as the beach it was fantastic to sit by such a beautiful lake.

Banff- Quad biking was fun but i'd just do the single and horse riding everyone does it. I would have to say one of the best meals on tour

Calgary- I did the stampede tour DO IT... Im not a big rodeo girl but gosh it was fun we went to a big tent event which was opposite our hotel so much fun

Vernon- Sleep time- Awesome included chinese meal

Vancouver We only just got back to vancouver in time for our dinner cruise. It's your last night together and you have the boat to yourself we then ended up at a gay bar to finish this night off.

The rockies part of the tour we were lucky because our tm would always go to an effore to organise places for dinner and entry to get into places we were always on the vip list lol

Ask any questions
  • 28 Oct 2010 Romer said

Romer

Sounds great fun Mel.

Can I ask about the temperatures, since you went in summer was it mostly shorts + t-shirt weather or were some parts more like winter?

I have been to Norway in summer and some places feel the same as winter at home in Australia so wasn’t sure if Canada would be the same.

• 2 Nov 2010 Mel said

Mel

Bring warm clothes… I ended up buying many jackets over there because i was freezing however temperatures vary to where you are… Toronto i got sun burnt and quebec i had to return to the hotel and put jeans and a jacket on

• 24 May 2011 River of Golden Dreams said

Default_avatar

Hi Mel, you said you paddled in Whistler on the lake, did you not get to go down the river?
    The River of Golden Dreams.!

• 4 Jun 2013 meganjc said

meganjc

I’m from Kamloops and it bums me out that it’s “Just for sleeping”! It’s definitely not as flashy or interesting as Banff or Whistler, but there’s lots to do. I’m not sure how long Contiki stays in Kamloops for, but if anyone is doing the Grand Northern and looking for something to do in Kamloops, send me a message!! Cheers!

• 8 Jun 2013 River of Golden Dreams said

Default_avatar

Must have been as your trip looks like it was in October or at least late fall. When the water is low or the fish are spawning we suspend operations on the river to protect the enviroment. Hope you get to run the river next time your’ in Whis.
    cheers
    and…..I’ve been to Kamloops many times, lots of great stuff to do there.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion