Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Luggage size and cash in Scandinavia

29 Jun 2008 Mark said

Default_avatar
I am going on several contiki trips but the last one is in Scandinavia. It says I can only take a luggage much smaller than the one on the other trips. Do they actually measure the luggage. Will my larger luggage be ok?

Also Did anybody bring local cash to scandi or can i just use my bank card?
  • 9 Jul 2008 PH_girl1977 said

Default_avatar

about money… quite a lot of places in scandinavia accept credit cards for payment. you might not need very much cash.

if the town is close to the border, you might be using the currencies of both countries there.

all scandinavian countries are expensive compared to the rest of europe. finland is probably the cheapest of the four your visiting. :-)

some bigger department stores in stockholm also accept euros as payment. finland has euros all other scandi’s have their own kronor.

also be aware that if a hotel/house you stay at has less than THREE floors, there might NOT be an elevator in finland. the less you carry with you the better. ;-) (some law from year XX states that a house with 3 or less floors doesn’t have to provide an elevator in the house.)

umm… on another note… if you’re sensitive to daylight, you might want to take a mask with you to cover your eyes. it doesn’t get dark at all right now in scandinavia.

southern parts of sweden, norway, denmark and MAYBE finland might have a few hours of darker but not completely dark.

• 10 Jul 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

If you are coming from the US you will be charged for that bag and if the bag is over weight it will cost even more. Just keep tabs on the new baggage policies for each airline. So you might keep that in mind when packing. Pack as light as you can you will be buying stuff while you are there. Don’t forget you are going to be the one carrying that “big” suitcase.

• 11 Jul 2008 Explorer1095647 said

Default_avatar

I know the suitcase size restriction is 73×50×25cm but I’ve just measured mine and it is 74×49×26cm.

Is this going to be a problem or should I go and purchase a new one? I’m kinda tight on money atm.

Matty, would this be OK?

Thanks

• 12 Jul 2008 PH_girl1977 said

Default_avatar

i can’t say if they’re more stricter on tours in europe but in australia and new zealand, they didn’t check luggage size (or at least measure it).

mine was a few cm’s smaller than the luggage size allowed and i saw at least a few bags that were most definitely over the measurements.

have you considered a backpack instead of a suitcase?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.