Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Girly Question

29 Jun 2009 Frances B said

Frances B
Hey All,

Does anyone know if it's worth taking a hairdryer and / or hair straighteners??? I'm just thinking of the space and weight they take yp... don't most hotels have hair dryers in the rooms??

Thanks!

Frances
  • 29 Jun 2009 NaHdz said

NaHdz

Hi Frances,

Yes most of the hotels do have hair dryers so I wouldn’t bother taking one..I didn’t take my straightner, I didn’t really miss it..I had barely enough room as it was! and you don’t want to be puting a hot/warm straightner into your suitcase!

• 29 Jun 2009 Frances B said

Frances B

Hey,

Thanks for that! My hair tends to have a life of it own so I might still end up taking straighteners… only if there’s space though lol.

Thanks,

x Frances

• 30 Jun 2009 Callie said

Callie

I took mine, but I hardly ever used it. A lot of the girls had GHD’s, which were better than mine, and they offered to straighten my hair for me. It turned out I didnt need to take mine

• 1 Jul 2009 Cassie said

Default_avatar

ive bought a cheap small hair straightner to take away. its small enough to fit into a hand bag.

• 2 Jul 2009 Explorer1139540 said

Default_avatar

Hey Frances,

If you are travelling to the States make sure your straightner can work there. They have completely different shaped power outlets that are only 140V (Compared to NZ which is 240V) so most straightners won’t work if you have brought them in Aus. or NZ. I picked up a cheap one over the internet!

Megan

• 23 Jul 2009 EmilyD said

EmilyD

With regards to the voltage, aust/NZ are 240V, but some plugs are “travel” plugs. They will have a allowance of 100V-240V usually and will be written in white or embosed on the plug. This way you don’t need a converter to avoid blowing up the straightner. So if your straightner doesn’t have this plug, than maybe buying a cheap one that does, as a converter can be quite expensive and bulky (I think?) Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 30 Jul 2009 Kimbatron said

Default_avatar

Make sure you are absolutely sure it will work in the US!

I arrived here last week, and my GHD sadly doesn’t work! Now I have a fringe sticking out in all directions. I think I might try find a cheap one somewhere, probably the best thing to do.

• 31 Mar 2010 miss_aussie_nessa said

miss_aussie_nessa

How much do straighteners go for in America??

• 31 Mar 2010 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

i was checking out the wallmart website a few weeks ago and they can vary a fair bit, starting from est $30 and up. and they were decent brands.

• 27 Apr 2010 LaurenV said

Default_avatar

Most places will have a hairdryer available. If you plan on buying one while over there best to go to tjmaxx, ross, or even wallmart, costco or target, they should have cheap ones. If you bring one from Oz, it takes longer for straighteners to heat up and theres less force coming thru the dryer as they only use 120v where we use 240, i also found i barely used it coz we didnt have much time to get ready anyway.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.