Community_discussions_small  

Question

Americans in Europe?

1 Jun 2007 Gramsey asked

Default_avatar
Hello! Smiler I will be traveling with Contiki in August, and recently some friends who have been abroad said that they have not been treated the best bc they are american. Has anyone had these types of problems?
Thanks! Smiler
Gillian
Washington DC, USA
  • 1 Jun 2007 Lindsay M said

Default_avatar

I have to admit that I have been told that I should pretend to be Canadian while over there. However I have been told this for the past 5 years. It was kind of a joke when I went to London in ’02. Especially as my first night there at a hostel a guy from Austria confronted my friend and I and proceded to tell us how disliked we were in Europe. He had no offense to us but he wanted to give us a heads up.

• 1 Jun 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular

my grandma says europeans love americans… but thats just my grandma Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 1 Jun 2007 KurtNYC said

Default_avatar

I’m sure Americans might be liked less than some other nationalities, but I still think the odds are against you that you’ll actually be mistreated on a significant level. My sister toured Europe last year on her own with some friends and I don’t recall her ever having any issues.

Furthermore, how could you possibly stick out on a Contiki tour with mostly Aussies and likely a lot of Canadains? I don’t even see how you’d be ‘found out’ in the first place.

…might be wise to leave the “America rules and George Bush is my hero” t-shirt at home, though. Just in case. :P

• 1 Jun 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular
    quote:
    Originally posted by KurtNYC:
    …might be wise to leave the “America rules and George Bush is my hero” t-shirt at home, though. Just in case. :P

AWW BUMMER! that is so my favorite shirt! haha jk

• 1 Jun 2007 michAel-89 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by KurtNYC:

HILARIOUS! xD

• 2 Jun 2007 cdm115 said

cdm115

I’ve been to 15 countries and never had a problem with people because I was american. Generally, people will treat you well, even the French were nice. There will be some rude people, but they live everywhere.

You may find people interested about you (from any country) and end up in conversations about culture and politics. You can’t have that conversation if you lie about where you are from.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.