Community_discussions_small  

Question

Visit the Amish in Lancaster PA?

3 Aug 2012 kate_o asked

kate_o

I really want to go and see the Amish in Lancaster PA, i think the best time to go would be while the Contiki has its stop over in Washington DC. Has anyone left the contiki group for a night and then returned the next day? Or would i be best to just go on a day trip?

• 3 Aug 2012 jerdude said

jerdude

Hey! I have not but I do live in Lancaster and could give you some tips. I’m not sure how you were planning to get to Lancaster from DC, but if you are driving be sure you are not on the roads around DC during rush hour. Traffic is unbearable and could seriously screw up your schedule. As long as you don’t hit traffic, though, it should only be about 2.5 to 3 hours and most of that is highway miles.

As for Lancaster itself, it is a beautiful town. I’d personally try to avoid any of the typical tourist attractions, you probably won’t find any actual Amish people there. While there are Amish farms literally everywhere, you won’t actually be able to enter them and interact with them. If you actually want to interact with an Amish person I’d recommend just visiting a farmer’s market or one of their roadside fruit and vegetable stands. Basically, you can find them living and working just like anybody else.

I’d definitely recommend going into Lancaster’s downtown if possible. It’s a great small city with a lot of history. If you’re lucky enough to go on a day the Central Market is open, GO THERE. There is no better place to get great locally made crafts, produce, baked goods, and just about anything else. And, of course, there are Amish.

And if you’re there in the evening, you’ll find we have fantastic beer culture. There are 3 breweries downtown and even more than that in the surrounding area. Enjoy!

• 27 Aug 2012 kate_o said

kate_o

Thanks for that, i am pretty confused about what to do. but i definitely want to see the Amish :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion