Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Phones and money

13 Nov 2006 Burgo17 said

Default_avatar
Hey,

I'm going on the grand adventurer New Zeland tour on Jan 18 from Auckland to Christchurch asnd can't wait. Just had a few queries regarding phones and spending money. Firstly, I'm on an Optus pre-paid mobile and was told by the travel gent you can get 'international roaming'. What exactly is the bets way to make calls or SMS's from overseas (not that I'll be making many).
Secondly, I'm thinking that ATM's are the best way to go, and as told by the travel agent that as long as the 'Maestro' logo I think was on the ATM then you casn just withdraw cash in NZ dollars. More importnantly, from people ho have done the tour before, what sor of payment is accepted for the optional activities, food etc. Are you able to use EFTPOS (not credit card) or is cash the best way.

Thanks for any help. Hope to meet anybody who's going on this tour.

Aaron
  • 13 Nov 2006 RUAAlien2 said

Default_avatar

For optionals, it’s credit card or cash. For food that you buy on your own, ti depends where you go, but some places do have a min for credit cards/EFTPOS.

Hope htat helped a bit!

• 28 Nov 2006 Charltz said

Default_avatar

Just thought i would add that optus PRE-PAID mobile Auto Roam does not work in NZ. So you cannot send/receive messages or make/receive calls in NZ if you hav optus pre paid mobile. I suggest maybe buying a Vodafone sim.

• 28 Nov 2006 Charltz said

Default_avatar

and if ure card has the maestro label you can use eftpos overseas, if it has the cirrus logo u can use ANY bank atm. I dont reccommend Bank of NZ atms as they only dispense $20 notes. Confused<!--graemlin::confused:-->

• 29 Nov 2006 Burgo17 said

Default_avatar

Hey Cat,

Thanks for all your help and advice.
    So what your pretty much saying is that I can just buy a $10 phone card from a newsagent and use this on my mobile or a public phone to make a call to Australia. If I was to make only a 2 or 3 minute call would this be fairly cheap?

Just another quick question. are there plenty of internet cafes in NZ where the onctiki tour goes for emails.

Thanks again.
    Aaron

• 29 Dec 2006 Sharon13 said

Default_avatar

Hi there,

I am in New Zealand right now about to start the Contiki Bay of islands tour and I thought I’d let everyone know Optus prepaid DOESN’T work in New Zealand. I bought the sim specifically because the guy in the store said it would work but he clearly had no clue! Hopefully this will stop anyone making the same mistake I did. I’ve ended up buying a vodaphone sim over here which seems ok.

• 7 Jan 2007 Charltz said

Default_avatar

i hav optus pre paid and it DOES NOT work in NZ. i know it sucks.

• 7 Jan 2007 retronym said

retronym

New Zealand only has Vodafone or Telecom.

• 9 Jan 2007 Bron85 said

Default_avatar

Hey Cat
    So when you used your telstra mobile in NZ… did you set it up with telstra before you went?And did you get phonecard for just phonecalls and mobile for mainly text.

Thanks Bron

Contiki Community Trip Advice New Zealand Advice Phones and money
    Go New Find Notify Tools Reply Admin New PM!
    Personal Zone»
    Member Directory
    Contiki Community»
    Buddies
    Ignore List
    Groups
    Permissions
    Private Messaging
    Notifications
    Favorites
    More…
    Discussion
    Poll
    Private Message
    Keyword Search

Search current forum only
    Advanced Search
    New Since your Last Visit
    Today’s Active Topics in this Category
    Add to My Favorites
    Printer Friendly Format
    Email a Friend
    Help
    Manage Topic
    Manage Content in This Topic
    Manage Members
    Online Now
    Control Panel
    Rate It! Login/JoinWelcome, Bron85 [Logout]

Burgo17 Posted 13 November 2006 02:46 AM
    Hey,

I’m going on the grand adventurer New Zeland tour on Jan 18 from Auckland to Christchurch asnd can’t wait. Just had a few queries regarding phones and spending money. Firstly, I’m on an Optus pre-paid mobile and was told by the travel gent you can get ‘international roaming’. What exactly is the bets way to make calls or SMS’s from overseas (not that I’ll be making many).
    Secondly, I’m thinking that ATM’s are the best way to go, and as told by the travel agent that as long as the ‘Maestro’ logo I think was on the ATM then you casn just withdraw cash in NZ dollars. More importnantly, from people ho have done the tour before, what sor of payment is accepted for the optional activities, food etc. Are you able to use EFTPOS (not credit card) or is cash the best way.

Thanks for any help. Hope to meet anybody who’s going on this tour.

Aaron
    Posts: 5 | Location: Melbourne | Registered: 13 November 2006

RUAAlien2
    Posted 13 November 2006 11:00 AM Hide Post
    For optionals, it’s credit card or cash. For food that you buy on your own, ti depends where you go, but some places do have a min for credit cards/EFTPOS.

Hope htat helped a bit!
    Posts: 32 | Location: New York | Registered: 15 August 2006

Ignored post by RUAAlien2 posted 13 November 2006 11:00 AM Show Post

Cat D
    Posted 24 November 2006 06:45 AM Hide Post
    Hey Aaron

I went on the tour Aug/Sep and had a ball.
    To answer your questions, I have a telstra mobile on a plan, so my phone situation was a little different, but i reccommend you give optus a call, I wasnt sure before I left, so I gave telstra a call and was able to make a receive calls and sms’s. It cost me extra to make and receive calls, but the difference was minimal to send sms’s and didnt cost any extra to receive sms’s. It also didnt cost me anything to turn international roaming on either. If you plan on making lots of phone calls home, I suggest waiting til you get to NZ and going to a newsagent and getting an international phone card. It works on a prepaid basis and you can get some that are as cheap as 3cents per/min home to aus. I got a $10 card (NZ$) and had 300 mins talk time! You just key in a few numbers before the number you want to ring, so you are able to use it from your mobile, hotel phone or payphones etc.

For all of the optionals I’m pretty sure its cash or credit card only. I found it easier to pay credit for all of my optionals and cash for everything else. I withdrew and exchanged about $1,000 cash before leaving Aus and withdrew a little more cash again along the way. Your tour manager will be able to tell you places you can exchange money etc at any stops along the way as well. All of your breakfasts are included and some dinners, but any souvenirs, lunches, alcohol and any optionals etc are at your own cost. Sometimes lunch stops might be one cafe in the middle of nowhere and they may only take cash, so its best to have cash on you all time. Also watch out when you actually do any optionals, often you get photos, dvds, merchandise etc offered to you at the end, which can cost a fair bit too, so dont forget to budget for that!

I’m pretty sure as long as you have the maestro symbol on your eftpos card, you will be able to use any atms that have that symbol (which I think is as common as mastercard or visa). I dont have a card that has that on it, but your bank should be able to tell you that too. Alternately, if you bank with ANZ, you can just use one of their atm’s! hahaha

I hope that has answered your questions!! If you have any more q’s, I’m more than happy to answer, I wanted to know everything before I went, so glad to help!

Cheers, Cat
    Posts: 19 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 16 October 2005

Ignored post by Cat D posted 24 November 2006 06:45 AM Show Post

Charltz
    Posted 28 November 2006 01:04 AM Hide Post
    Just thought i would add that optus PRE-PAID mobile Auto Roam does not work in NZ. So you cannot send/receive messages or make/receive calls in NZ if you hav optus pre paid mobile. I suggest maybe buying a Vodafone sim.[/quote]

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.