Community_discussions_small  

Question

LA Explorer - solo/twin share question?

8 Aug 2012 likeaflower asked

likeaflower

Hi, I'm traveling along to LA soon. I was under the impression that if you chose the "twin share" option that Contiki gave you a room mate, like with the pre & post accommodation. But my travel agent was told that I would be forced to pay for Solo accommodation. Is this correct?

• 10 Aug 2012 amber said

amber

No way that isn’t true. If you choose twin share you get matched up with a room mate. Don’t let the travel agent force you to pay the single supplement, unless you want to of course. I know with my Europe tour, it’s over $800 extra for a single room so you should def call Contiki about that.
    I’ve heard lots of people complaining about travel agents telling them the wrong info or even booking the wrong dates & people not finding out until they get their travel documents! I don’t really see the point in using a travel agent to book with Contiki, it’s pretty simple to do it yourself over the net or the phone. & if you get stuck you can always give them a call.

• 10 Aug 2012 Andy said

Andy

I would advise contacting Contiki directly because I booked the LA Explorer for next summer on this website and could only book a single room. I would have preferred a twin share and have emailed them saying that is what I would prefer if anyone else is going to be on it at the same time as me but I’ll do whatever I have to and just try harder to meet others while I’m doing the tour

• 14 Aug 2012 jarks said

Default_avatar

I think the LA Explorer is different in terms of the solo/twin share as it’s not really a tour with a guide, it’s just preorganised accomodation where there is someone in the hotel who will attend to patrons who book through Contiki over other guests.

IMO you’re better off going to a hostel with a friendly atmosphere if you want to meet other people/pay less.

• 14 Aug 2012 likeaflower said

likeaflower

^ Yeah, think I’m going to do that. Contiki has been pretty bad with just securing 1 night pre accom, I’ve been waiting for a week (and after 3 calls from my travel agent) to find out if it’s secured.

• 15 Aug 2012 jarks said

Default_avatar

When are you going? I recommend the Santa Monica area to stay in. Great vibe there.

• 16 Aug 2012 likeaflower said

likeaflower

Sept/Oct, doing the Wild Western tour

• 20 Aug 2012 larissa84 said

Default_avatar

I stayed 3 nights at the HI Hostel in Santa Monica. I was very happy staying there. Much better than downtown LA that smelled like pee everywhere! I stayed the night before the tour at Doubletree Hilton hotel, its over an hour bus ride from Santa Monica.

• 20 Aug 2012 jarks said

Default_avatar

Yeah that is the only problem with Santa Monica – it’s accessible by public transit, but it’s FAR and LONG from Downtown LA. So if you do have a Contiki tour starting in the morning, it’s best to stay a night in Downtown. Or similarly, if you have a Contiki that ends in LA, stay Downtown for that night too.

However, (in terms of the Greater LA area) it’s close to LAX so getting to/from here is quite good. Probably about a $40 cab ride, but there are bus options too.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.