Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Euro Magic 12th July 2009

26 Mar 2009 Missy said

Missy
HiSmiler
Me and my friend Tash are going on this trip and I was just wondering who else is?
This is my first big trip overseas by myself, I can't wait!

Missy
  • 30 Jun 2009 Alanna1012 said

Alanna1012

Hey All,

My name is Alanna and I will be traveling with my best friend Samantha on this European Magic tour from New York. I am beyond excited about this trip and it is my first time in Europe. I am also 23 years old and Samantha is 24. I am starting to get very anxious about this whole trip, especially about the money part. I also fear that my atm card will not work or I will lose it, but I think I am going to bring a travelers check in case something happens. I am also a bad packer and I am not the greatest flyer lol. I was wondering about expenses and how much spend money I should bring, but everyone pretty much answered that, thank you. Not only am I excited about this trip, but I am looking forward to meeting all of you. Only 10 days left until I take off from New York :-). Are you all meeting up in London to tour? I have to make an agenda, but if you all are meeting up I would be up for that. I have been a little behind on the planning part, but I have off until the trip. Oh and I am single too!!!

-Alanna.

• 1 Jul 2009 Explorer1141597 said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone,

My name is David and I’m from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada(good to see some fellow west coasters coming out btw Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->). I’m a few months from 22 and just found out a couple weeks ago that I got into grad school in Ontario, so i literally booked this trip about 5 days ago. Clearly, I’m VERY far behind on trip-planning! This forum has been really helpful though – reminding me of obvious things I need to do that didn’t really click before! haha

Anyways, I’ll be arriving in London at 8 am so I’d love to meet up for some sight-seeing with a group (Leanne and Marc and company…?). This is also my first time in Europe alone! Really looking forward to meeting everyone Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Maybe we can make a facebook group? Feel free to add me as well – dmikhail@interchange.ubc.ca

Cheers (and Happy Canada Day to all the Canucks Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->)

• 2 Jul 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Hey Everyone!

I just started packing yesterday, so I’m a little behind as well. I’m going out today to do some last minute shopping. I’m game for meeting up for sight seeing (Marc, are you still in?)! I may keep my cell on for the first few hours while in London (I know roaming will be outrageous) or we can try to meet up at the Contiki basement. My plane arrives around 6:30am London time…David, are you flying into Heathrow as well?

The trip is getting really close! I can’t wait!

• 2 Jul 2009 Marc.L said

Marc.L

Good Afternoon Ladies…and David

My flight gets into LHR at 0750…i had a minor sked change…bit of a drag…but whatcha gonna do…i’m still up for everything Leanne…and David…if you’d like to join us…the more the merrier…i will keep my cell on during the trip…i will not be accepting phone calls…but i text while away…doesn’t cost alot…Meeting in the contiki basement sounds like a good meeting point…i beleive this is where we can keep our stuff until we can check in. Are you guys staying at the Royal or the Imperial? I’ll send you my cell number Leanne via facebook (email) … the trip is starting to creep up on me…i haven’t even though about packing…i’m totally freaking out on what to bring…and how much clothes to bring…just went shopping in Syracuse with the b/f…now i have to figure out what to bring…

Hope you all had a great Canada Day yesterday and Happy Independence Day to all our American Neighbors for Saturday the 04Jul09!

Looking forward to meeting many of you on tour…

Have a super day!

Ciao!

• 2 Jul 2009 Alanna1012 said

Alanna1012

Hey Everyone,

I am not a great planner so I am going to start packing on Monday. I am done with my last minute shopping though, at least I think I am :-)! I would love to meet up with a few of you on the day we arrive in London. I have to figure out what time I am getting in to the airport, but it’s definitely around 6-8am. Where did you hear that we keep our luggage in the Contiki basement until check-in? I was wondering about that, but I thought the hotels would hold it for us. I guess I should stop assuming lol. I’m soooooo excited, it’s only a week away tomorrow. Thank you Marc for wishing me a Happy Independence Day! It shall be a fun and beautiful day for celebrations. I will think of more questions to ask. Talk to you all soon!

• 3 Jul 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Hey Everyone – I read somewhere that the Contiki basement will store your luggage for 2 pounds. That’s where I’m going to drop it off – normally the hotels should store it but I don’t know if they do, so I thought I’d just do that. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 4 Jul 2009 Explorer1141597 said

Default_avatar

Hey everyone,

I’m actually flying into Gatwick! Is anyone else in the same boat?? I just figured out my transportation from there (really cheap bus ride into london for about 7 pounds on “easybus” if you need it) though and I should be arriving in central london area around 10:30-11:00, so if anyone is arriving as late as me i’d love to meet up at the contiki basement and head out from there and maybe go meet up wit Leanne, Marc and company.

Well moving on, I need some opinions/questions answered –

most places take credit card right? do we have to pay for our extra tours and stuff in cash?

is everyone packing similarly to the “packing list” on the contiki site for europe?

what kind of bags are people bringing? can’t decide if i should do a backpack or regular luggage!also, how strict are they with the weight requirements? i.e. if it is a few pounds over, are they gonna make me remove stuff before i get on the bus

are we partying the first night in london?

are most people going to the moulin rouge?

finally, should we bring a few classier outfits? if so, wut is fashionable in europe right now or are we gonna look like “last season”
    (half-joking…haha)

looking forward to meeting everyone! sorry if my questions have been answered already…haha Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 5 Jul 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I’ll try to answer some questions…

-I think a lot of places take credit cards, but I don’t think it’s as wide-spread as it is here in North America. A lot of people seem to recommend withdrawing from an ATM for extra cash – I’ll still take my credit card for larger purchases, but I’m going to rely on the ATM and cash for mostly everything else.

-I have luggage from my last Contiki trip that meets their size requirements. I hear they’re pretty strict on the weight although the last tour I was on, they didn’t weigh any of our luggage. So it’s hard to say, but I’d recommend being under if you can – that way you have more room for souvenirs coming back.

-I’m going to try and do all the optionals this time, including Moulin Rouge (I missed that last time). For dressing up, I’m bringing a black dress and a pair of black dress pants with heels that I can dress up if I need to. I’ve read that for going out we can probably get away with jeans for the most part. But I know for Moulin Rouge we have to dress up more than that.

I flew into Gatwick last time and it wasn’t too bad getting into the city. I’m going to take my cell phone with me, if you are too you can txt me when you’re ready to meet up.

• 5 Jul 2009 Alanna1012 said

Alanna1012

Leanne answered most of your questions. I still haven’t decided if I want to do Moulin Rouge, it’s so expensive. I was thinking of venturing out that night, but if everyone is doing it must be worth it. I did not pack yet, but I am starting tomorrow so I can let you know what I bring. A black dress is perfect to pack in case there is a dressy night plus I’m going to bring a few sun dresses that I can get away with wearing out at night and jeans. It’s difficult because we have to pack so light. I purchased a Samsonite duffle bag luggage that has wheels and meets the size requirements because it is the lightest luggage I could find and I think it will work. Some luggage is 20lbs with nothing in it so you would only be able to fit 24 more pounds. It’s only 10lbs, I just hope it will be okay. The store clerk said that it would be perfect for traveling around Europe. What kinds of carry ons are you bringing? I was just going to bring a large tote because it said they do not want something with metal tracks. Finally, I would like to go out the first night to meet everyone. I don’t know how exhausted we will all be, but I’m sure we will have it in us to do some partying. Can’t wait!

• 8 Jul 2009 Explorer1141597 said

Default_avatar

hey Leanne,

thanks for all the help! I think I have everything figured out…i should be ok with the weight requirement and got one of those “hybrid” type bags, which is a little longer but thinner than their requirements so i’m hoping they don’t give me any problems! weighs only about 11 lbs too so it’s not bad for its size

Leanne, what is your cel number so that I can message you? Anyone who wants to meet up on saturday can message me at 1-778-855-6093, or meet at contiki basement around 11 am!

getting really close! gonna start packing tomorrow finally! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> haha

c u all saturday!

• 8 Jul 2009 Alanna1012 said

Alanna1012

Bon Voyage!!!! See you all on Saturday!

• 9 Jul 2009 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I can’t believe the trip is SO close!!! See ya Saturday! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.