Community_discussions_small  

Question

Going on a contiki then staying in london?

20 Aug 2012 April M. asked

April M.

I am looking at going on a contiki tour in 2013. I am then considering staying in london for a few months after on a working holiday. Im just curious if anyone has done this before and if they have any advice, or if anyone else is considering doing this in 2013?

• 18 Sep 2012 Bubblegum13 said

Default_avatar

My boyfriend and I are doing a Contiki tour & staying in London to continue traveling and working in 2013 we haven’t decided how long we’re staying yet hopefully at least 12 months or longer !

• 26 Sep 2012 April M. said

April M.

Im looking at going over in May, have you looked into much work over there? ive been looking at a few companies that help aussies while over there. im wanting to travel to festivals in between work during the year, is this what you are looking to do as well?

• 27 Sep 2012 EAC13 said

EAC13

Im doing the exact same! Heading over in July, touring Europe etc and then ill start work in September :)
    Hopefully be there for 12 months too

• 27 Sep 2012 Bubblegum13 said

Default_avatar

Awesome! We leave Australia on the 4th February 2013. Nah we haven’t looked properly into work yet, we need to get onto it soon though! I’m guessing bar work will be what we’ll do to begin with. Not sure about festivals we haven’t thought that far ahead yet we are just focusing on finding somewhere to live & jobs as we don’t have a plan after our Contiki tour at this stage .

• 27 Sep 2012 Bubblegum13 said

Default_avatar

Have you booked a tour already EAC13? :)

• 27 Sep 2012 EAC13 said

EAC13

Nah not yet, Im booking hopefully soon though. Looking at European Whirl that departs on 18th July and then doing Croatia sailing through busabout on 24th August. Im heading over with 3 other girls but they are doing some other tours in between the ones im doing so ill just be hanging around London till Croatia and then ill be back in London on 1st September and working from there on (hopefully) :))

• 9 Oct 2012 Jensy86 said

Jensy86

Yay i’m doin the same thing. Doing a conkiki tour first (Ultimate European departing 26 March 2013) & then staying in London on a working visa. I haven’t looked into work much yet so i’m a little bit nervous about being able to find work over there.
    Explorer1353478 – Can i have the names of the companies your talking about (if you don’t mind) :) I’m hoping to get round to as many festivals as possible!

• 10 Oct 2012 Ell said

Ell

I’m doing a contiki all of June and then travelling for another 2 months before settling down for work in London also:).. my travel agent suggested http://owh.com.au for the working holiday visa and you can get packages for help with accommodation and jobs etc.. although a girl I know that worked over there for a while said that if you cant just get a job on your own within a week or so there must be something wrong with you, she said they have heaps of papers and advertising everywhere for travellers and gumtree posts tonnes!

• 10 Oct 2012 Dave said

Default_avatar

Hey all, I plan on doing the same thing. Starting off with a Contiki tour at the start of June (not sure which one yet), then plan on finding a job and working in London for a year. Also plan on heading over to Oktoberfest at the end of September. Can’t wait, It seems so long away!

• 17 Oct 2012 Kiwi_Jess said

Kiwi_Jess

I did that this year… Did contrasts in July then great Brit, Ireland then settled in London! It’s an awesome idea cos then Europe is on your doorstep… I’ve gone to Oktoberfest in sept, going to Sweden in nov, going to Dublin for st paddys, and already planning my tours for next summer… And festivals like tomorrowland are just a cheap Ryanair flight away!!

If you’re coming on a airline that allows 30kgs, fill up your unit case with things for living in London, warm cat for autumn, interview clothes, etc and leave them in contiki basement for your tour! Cos even tho clothes are cheap here, why spend Money if you have them.

Accommodation is expensive here, I’m paying 540 quid a month before bills and I live in dodgy north London! And jobs are a bit hard o find if you want one in a certain profession, I’m a teacher and jobs are only coming in now… 2 months after I’ve settled in… But there are always temp jobs to tide you over.

And if you love music, SO MANY bands come here! I’m seeing close on 10 in 3 months!!

Living in London is amazing!! DO IT!!

Kiwi_Jess

The working holiday club is good apparently

Kiwi_Jess

The working holiday club is good apparently

• 17 Oct 2012 Bubblegum13 said

Default_avatar

We are currently dealing with The Working Holiday Club & they have been great so far ! Very helpful, their packages cost you a bit of money but they have you pretty much completely set up for when you arrive in London !

• 18 Oct 2012 EAC13 said

EAC13

Im going through The working holiday club too :) So excited. That information you posted above (kiwi_jess) about packing is really helpful cause ive been wondering what the hell to do with all my stuff while on tour so thanks for that :)

• 20 Oct 2012 Dave said

Default_avatar

Nice advice kiwi Jess, much appreciated. I’ve heard it’s hard to get tickets to music festivals such as Glastonbury?? Also if you don’t mind me asking, how much should you budget for after the contiki incase your not working right away?

• 13 Jan 2013 jaimi said

jaimi

Im going over in March on a working visa :)

• 15 Jan 2013 Jensy86 said

Jensy86

Hey Jaim, i’m also heading over in March on a working visa. What are your plans? Are you doing a contiki tour?

• 15 Jan 2013 jaimi said

jaimi

hey,
    i dont really have much planned at the moment like work or where to live. I will work all that out once i go there.. but i want to find a job with not to much commitment as i want to travel as much as i can in the 2 years ill be there :)
    I will probably be doing and irland contiki later on in the year, just trying to organise that with friends atm :)
    How about you, what are your plans?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.