Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Public Holidays While On Tour

20 Jan 2007 Melb_Girl said

Default_avatar
I'm hoping for some advice regarding public holidays during tours. My tour conincides with Easter. So for the period of Good Friday - Easter Monday I'm assuming a lot of places may be closed. We'll be in Munich & Venice over these 4 days. Will we just have to make do with whatever's open or available or will there be side-tours maybe? Thanks guys!
  • 21 Jan 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

I’m pretty sure most of Europe will shut down for Good Friday.

I’ve read that in Germany shops are closed on Sunday and most public holidays (although some exemptions apply around Christmas time). Also, shops in ‘tourist areas’ are allowed to open outside normal trading hours (6am to 8pm) but what they sell is limited. Also read this:

“As most public holidays in Germany are religiously based, and since the religious holidays (Protestant and Catholic) are not uniform across Germany but instead vary from state to state (depending on whether Protestants or Catholics are predominant), stores in one state may be closed while on the same day may be wide open in a neighboring state.”

Might be worth doing a bit of research about the city of Munich and what happens there around Easter!

In Italy, most shops open from about 9am-1pm and then again from 4pm-8pm. The afternoon is siesta time; shops will be closed and owners home for lunch and nap! In tourist areas some shops open from 9.30am-7.30pm so there is always something to see.

I’m pretty sure everything in Italy will be closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday – being home of the Pope and all!

Hope this info helps.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion