Community_discussions_small  

Question

PASSPORT/ID FOR GOING OUT?

2 Mar 2007 Bree 24aus asked

Default_avatar
Was just wondering...
what are you supposed to take for ID when going out? do you have to take your passport? or can you take a drivers licence? or i think you can get and 'international ID card' from the RTA(roads and trafic authority here in Aus, maybe different elsewhere) - is this ok? or do you need to take anythng at all?
just wondering cos obviously our passports are pretty precious. And even for bag size too when going out (though i guess passpaorts are pretty small!)
  • 2 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

IMO, you should have your passport on you at all times. I would not trust leaving it in the hotel. And your passport is basically your lifeline, without it, you’re lost. I thought I lost mine in Florence, and it was the worst feeling. It seriously makes you sick. The safest place it could be is with you. I know some of the hotels are in sketchier areas. My friend was in Prague (though not on Contiki) and got robbed while she was in the room sleeping, she heard the door open and assumed it was her roomate so she didn’t bother to get up.

Long story short, keep your passport with you always. Although I don’t think you’ll ever need an ID, I don’t think I was ever asked for mine when we went out.

• 2 Mar 2007 Kylie85 said

Default_avatar

Hey Bree, you are absolutly right about your passport being precious!! thats why i agree with sue, keep it on you at all times..
    I dont think Europe is that big on asking for ID as in alot of countries drinking age is 16 etc but yeah passport is def the best. Ive tried to use my licence for ID in the past in the US and other places and they wouldnt accept it as they dont know what its supposed to look like they cant be sure its not fake. fair enough really.
    Hey Erin, its ok you dont have your licence at 30 Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> You guys drive on the wrong side of the raod anyways :P

• 3 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

Emma, I don’t know abuot your specific trip, but I know most hotels we stayed at on my trip had safes, but I didn’t trust them. For one thing, not all of them were bolted down which means someone could just pick it up and waltz out of there with it. Another thing, most safes have a default code which will open the safe regardless of what number you used to close it. So you can have some sneaky hotel employee who will have the code and can then pass it on to his buddy who works outside the hotel and then everyone from hte hotel is covered that they didn’t do it. Basically, don’t leave anything in the safe. This means don’t bring anything expensive with you that you won’t be wearing at all times.

Keep your passport with you all the time. Lemme say it again, ALL THE TIME. You never know when you will need it. Also, don’t leave anything in the safe. Actually, don’t leave anything valuable in the room. I left my ipod in nthe room when we went out at night, but I don’t place much value on it. Sure, it’s expensive, but it’s only monetary value to me which is worht much less to me than say the earrings I got when I finished high school.

• 3 Mar 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

Thanks!! i’ll def be keeping it on me all the time then! (my mum had said you should put in in a money belt and wear it to bed.. i thought this was a bit over the top.. but maybe not!)

A thought on the ipod though — if your photos are on there then you wouldn’t wanna have it stolen!!!

What do most people do with their pics? (sorry im not very brainy with the camera stuff). I had thought the ipod. But are there computers at most places where you’d just burn them on to cd’s?
    how do most people do it?

• 3 Mar 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bree 24aus:
    Thanks!! i’ll def be keeping it on me all the time then! (my mum had said you should put in in a money belt and wear it to bed.. i thought this was a bit over the top.. but maybe not!)

A thought on the ipod though — if your photos are on there then you wouldn’t wanna have it stolen!!!

What do most people do with their pics? (sorry im not very brainy with the camera stuff). I had thought the ipod. But are there computers at most places where you’d just burn them on to cd’s?
    how do most people do it?

Sleeping with a money belt might be a tad excessive, even for my paranoid self. Probably the hotels you stay in are going to be fine, I know a couple seemed a bit sketchy, but they use a few different hotels.

And I didn’t put pictures on my ipod. I had an ipod mini which doens’t have photo capabilities. I got a new mp3 player that can hold photo, only I’m not sure how to upload from the camera. But there are internet cafes all over and you can upload your photos there. I didn’t have to though, I used a 2 GB memory card and it was more than enough. I also had my video camera which is what I used for my memories.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion