Community_discussions_small  

Question

advice for a 19 year old going to USA

23 Aug 2012 HannahB6 asked

Default_avatar

hey guys,
so im most likely doing either the wild western of LA to the bay contiki tour in July 2013. But the main aspect im questioning about whether to go or not is the fact I will be 19 on the tour and wont be allowed to do the nightlife parts of the tour. However I went to Hawaii at 18 and was still able to get into the club(and managed to get alcoholic drinks) so wondering if any past travellers can help me out on their experience with being underage and if I am still able to get into the clubs and not drink or whether I will not be allowed in. Im travelling alone so am worried there will be no other underaged people there and ill be a loner haha.
thanks!

• 23 Aug 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I don’t think so but don’t let that stop you from having a great time in America.I had the same problem in October 1997 when I booked to go in January 1998 with the drinking/nightclubs situation.I ended up cancelling and doing a Singapore Trip instead but got to do my Contiki One Year Later to New Zealand.I am not 100% on the whole under 21’s thing for the USA but you can still take part in the rest of the other parts of the tour even if you have to put up with early nights for age related reasons.

• 23 Aug 2012 RJ1817 said

RJ1817

US has become pretty strict on their drinking age guidelines in the last 5 years so don’t be surprised if you’re denied alcohol from most, if not all, places. To be honest, if I was you, I would just wait until I was 21 to head to the US. If you still want to head to North America, try Canada (it’s more fun and nicer than the US anyways ;) ) because the drinking age is 19 (and 18 in a few provinces) so you won’t have to worry about being denied at the bars

• 23 Aug 2012 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I only wish the agent I booked it through had told me about the strict guidelines at that time beforehand.Don’t feel too bad if you have to through the hotel concierge find an open aged alternative to go to while the over 21’s get to do the things you don’t.

• 2 Sep 2012 Steffi said

Steffi

I went lon the wild western last year when I was 20 and I wasn’t allowed in any of the bars or clubs.. There was 1 other girl who was underage on my tour and she tried to get into the clubs and was let in and kicked out a couple of hours later.. they are fairly strict on the ages limits.. But in saying that I still had an amazing time. If you are keen for night life and drinking maybe wait until your 21.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion