Community_discussions_small  

Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.

Question

Shoes?

24 Aug 2012 Clare85 asked

Clare85

Hi,
I'm travelling right around Europe from the start of October to the start of December (eastern Europe, western Europe, Spain/Portugal). I need some advice on what 'comfortable walking shoes' people took. Runners? Hiking boots? Street shoes?
Advice from Aussies would be appreciated so I can find whatever shoes you mention here in Melbourne :)
Cheers!

• Read the responses 9 responses so far
  • 24 Aug 2012 amber said

amber

I’m from Sydney, going to Europe for 3 weeks in less than a month & I’m looking at getting Skechers. They are as comfy as a pair of runners & come in a million different colours. I’m just deciding whether or not they look too ‘sporty’ to wear everywhere. I’m definitely going for comfort but I don’t want to look like a dag! Check out their website to find where you can buy them in Melbourne. Go to the store though, coz the website doesn’t have as good a variety as the stores do.

• 24 Aug 2012 Clare85 said

Clare85

Hey Amber, yes, I have sporty type shoes, I know what you’re saying! Thanks, I’ll take a look at Skechers :)

• 29 Aug 2012 Tamika said

Tamika

I have travelled around parts of the world and honestly if you are doing walking I would go for high ankle hiking boots, they may not be fashionable but honestly, you are travelling to experience and view the world, not going to a fashion show. They are also extremely comfortable, breathable and water proof, save your back from hurting the day after :)
    http://www.kathmandu.com.au/Hiking_&Daywalking/Footwear/32093/Keen_PyreneesWomens.html#
    I know they are expensive but I have had mine for 4 years and they are as comfortable and durable as the day I got them !

• 29 Aug 2012 Clare85 said

Clare85

Good advice :) In fact on the weekend I bought some Columbia Wallawallas- on sale at Mountain Designs for $139. They’re very comfy, supportive and waterproof!

• 31 Aug 2012 Tamika said

Tamika

Awesome, I hope you have a lovely and safe trip :)

• 31 Aug 2012 Clare85 said

Clare85

Thanks Tamika! :)

• 17 Sep 2012 hartsj9 said

Default_avatar

Shoes are shoes really. I did the euro inspiration over last Christmas and made do with 1 pair of Puma runners, 1 pair of flat semi dressy suede boots and 1 pair of flat semi dressy leather boots. I would recommend bringing at least 2 pairs of shoes though. I switched my shoes every second or third day to avoid feet getting sore and it worked great.

• 5 Oct 2012 mel said

Default_avatar

hey i recently did a europe trip i wore wore running shoes so did some others. but i brought jandals because it was so hot. most people wore dressy sandals everyday

• 11 Oct 2012 Katy said

Katy

Pretty much everyone on my contiki wore vans/converse or thongs depending on the weather and none of us had a problem with that but i also took a pair of ballet flats for night time :)

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.