Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Discovery Dec 17 - Dec 30 2012

26 Aug 2012 Vic asked

Vic

Is there anyone else going on the European Discovery Tour from Dec 17th - Dec 30th 2012?

This is my first contiki tour, so I am looking to connect with people who are also going on these dates. I am also going solo, so I am a little nervous.

For the veterans who have gone on this tour, any travel advice you guys can give me while traveling in winter in Europe would be awesome. :)

Drop a line.

Cheers :)

• 31 Aug 2012 Vic said

Vic

Self Delete

• 3 Sep 2012 Paul said

Default_avatar

Hey Vic

My girlfriend and I are doing that tour but I think the dates are either 17th to the 28th of December or 19th to the 30th of December ? We are doing the one that starts on the 19th and we are from Australia. Are you booked in yet?

• 6 Sep 2012 Vic said

Vic

Hi Paul,

I am already booked.

I am doing the European Discovery Tour which starts on Dec 17th and ends on 30th. I think we are on the same tour. Dec 19th is when the tour officially gets underway from London to Amsterdam.:)

• 6 Sep 2012 Paul said

Default_avatar

Hey Vic

O ok yer I think we might be then. Are you staying in Europe before or after contiki ??

• 6 Sep 2012 Vic said

Vic

Hi Paul,

I am flying down to London on Dec 14th. I will stay with relatives until the 18th when I join you guys in the hotel. After the tour, I am staying an extra day in London in the hotel before flying back to Toronto on 31st.

• 9 Sep 2012 sandra_trentin said

sandra_trentin

Hey Vic, sorry to jump in, but I couldn’t resist since you are talking about the tour I did! :)

I did the European Discovery in April of 2008 and was the best thing I ever did with my money! I’m brazilian (sorry for my english I hope you understand…) and I went alone, I had never travel abroad before so it was a dream-tour for me, lot of expetations and I have to said it was better than I ever imagine! The group was so good, we have so much fun, I room mate with a girl from Canada who was so kind (I was afraid of sharing a room with a stranger but turn out so easy). Here some tips:

- I did all optionals, except for Molin rouge and Whitewater rafting, I regret not doing them…
    - Absolutely do the Canal Cruise (here is where people meet each other, I got so drunk this day ;), Swarovski Crystal World (unique experience), Gondola ride (impossible go to Venice and don’t do this), Souvenir group photo (it’s worthy), Tuscan evening (great food), Mt. Stanserhorn (amazing view) and Lake Lucerne Cruise (so beautiful)!
    - I also went “be myself” (actually a group of friends from the tour) in Vatican city, we got the tube.
    - I have to said that differently of Paul said, I didn’t like the Disco in Florence! Maybe it was just that day, but was nothing special and was pretty empty, we have fun anyway because we were a big group, but that wasn’t many locals…
    - The most beautiful part of the trip is Austria and Switzerland.
    - Eat fries in Amsterdam, a baguete in Paris and as much ice cream you can in Rome!
    - Absolutely go to Sullivans in Paris (it’s near the Moulin Rouge), we went in the last day of the tour, it was our farewell party, amazing, full of locals, not turists, so we really fell like Parisians going out in a club, so good!
    - For anything you want to do in Italy and France arrive early! I arrived 8hr to the Eiffel tower thing and it cost me all morning, like 3 hours on the line… same for Vatican.
    - Think in advance what you want to see in Louvre museum because you won’t have time to see everything.
    - In Paris, if you have time, go to Sainte-Chapelle (it’s a beautiful church like any other).
    - And if you have a extra day in Paris do Versailles, I went by myself and it’s was the most amazing thing of the trip for me.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: pack light! I’m so serious here, most hotels in Europe don’t have lifts! Have in mind that YOU will have to take your suitcase two, three or four floors up almost everyday. I regret every day of the tour having bring such a big heavy suitcase…

I have some pictures of my tour here if you want to take a look:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/21228912@N03/sets/
    Of course it’s just the sights pictures, the fun pictures with the group are in facebook ;)

I hope you have as much fun as I did!!!!

• 9 Sep 2012 Shantel said

Shantel

Hi Vic

From SA, I’m booke or the European Magic Winter Tour, starts on the 24th, Thanks to Meg, I can also take some tips from her:-)

• 9 Sep 2012 Vic said

Vic

Thanks for the tips Sandra especially on the Suitcases. Didn’t realize the elevator part in the hotel. I usually pack light cause I love shopping and I want to fill up my suitcases with clothes and souvenirs from Europe. :) Btw, your English is fine and your pictures look amazing. I hope to have fun as much you did on your tour. :) Just a question on suitcases, how many are you allowed to bring? I was thinking of bringing one suitcase and one carry-on bag. Will that be ok?

Btw, Meg, if you are still reading this. I just came back from a Las Vegas trip this Labor Day Long weekend and got some additional tips for you. :) If you want cheap tickets to shows in Las Vegas, go to this place called the Fashion Mall which is on the Las Vegas strip, they have a kiosk there called Half Priced Shows where they give away tickets for half the price to popular shows. I watched the Chippendale Show (Yes I am a guy and it was highly entertaining and since you are a girl you will love it), KÀ Cirque du Soleil and Blue Man Group. You have to go there early or they get sold out. Get there by 10:30am and buy the tickets for that day. Also if you guys want to club, get in touch a promoter and tell them you want to go clubbing before 2pm, and they will put your name on guest list and arrange a limo to pick you guys up. Be sure to go to Club Marquee, XS, and Pure. Otherwise you guys will be standing in line for hours.

Shantel, yeah, Meg is amazing. She gave such wonderful advice to a total stranger like me. :)

• 9 Sep 2012 sandra_trentin said

sandra_trentin

Thank you, as far I know we are allowed to bring one suitcase and one carry-on bag. In the tour I did the suitcases limit was 20kg. The contiki people will weigh your suitcase on day one to make sure is not above the limit… I remember that by the end of the tour by suitcase was like 35kg and I had to buy another one!

• 9 Sep 2012 Vic said

Vic

Ah ok. I will just buy another suitcase if my first one gets too full from all the crazy shopping. :)

• 13 Nov 2012 natalia said

Default_avatar

My cousin and I booked this tour for the sames dates! dec 17th to dec 30 see you there vic

• 16 Nov 2012 Andrea said

Default_avatar

Hi Vic, this is my first time going on Contiki as well:) Yes, I am going to be in London on the 18th December and then the tour starts on the 19th. I will be flying back to South Africa on the 31st December:)

See you then!

• 9 Apr 2013 Danielle said

Danielle

Hi Vic

I’m going on the European Discovery 18 Dec 2013 – 29 Dec 2013. I’m from South Africa. I read the suggestions that Meg made about the tour and was wondering if you have any others since you have just been?

You mentioned strict liquor laws in the USA – what is the legal age in Europe? I will be turning 21 while on the tour so just wondering…

Also, do they do anything special for Christmas? Or is it pretty much a normal day?

Danielle

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion