Community_discussions_small  

Question

European horizon - Summer 2013???

29 Aug 2012 EmilyInglis asked

EmilyInglis

Ok so, I'm 17 and about to do my final year in college starting september. Next summer (when I'm 18) I hope to do a European tour by myself to meet new people, make new friends and see some amazing places. I don't have a great deal of money as I'm leaving home for Uni next year, but the European highlights looks perfect! Can anyone help me decide whether to take the plunge and go for it or not? And is anyone else in the same boat as myself - branching out at a young age? Help!
Thanks,
Em :) x

• 10 Oct 2012 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

Well I guess I will be the first person to respond to you =0)
    For me it makes no sense to travel to 7 countries in 10 days as the tour says. It’s one night in each city and that is just not enough to get a flavor. Me personally I am thinking of doing Berlin to Budapest sometime during the summer. Berlin and Prague is 3 nights each and Vienna and Budapest 2 nights each plus I would extend the trip on my own and maybe do Switzerland

Alex

• 11 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

I think you absolutely should! I discovered Contiki right before I turned 21 last year, and I’m really glad I did because I still have plenty of time to tour with them before I’m too old- haha. But the younger you start, the better! For me, I want to see the whole world, so it’s nice to discover a company like Contiki where I can travel solo but know that I’ll be making a big group of new friends along the way. It’s really an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. My first tour was in May and I feel like a totally different person now… it made me so much more independent and mature, plus now I have the travel bug and I can’t wait to see it all! :)

As for the tour you book: it’s your choice, but I’d say the longer, the better. I did an 11 day tour and by the end of it, it felt like I was there for no time at all. It was SO short. I did not want to leave! Even people who have done the 47 day tours say it’s still not enough time, haha. You become really close with your tour group and you won’t want to go home, trust me. So if you have the money to go for a longer tour, do it! Also, like NYGiantsFan said, try to find a tour that spends more than one night in each country. You have to figure in travel times since you’ll be on the coach a lot, so for the one night stays, you’re really only spending a couple of hours in the city. The tour I’m doing next summer is called London to Athens (23 days) and it spends at least 2 nights in each location, so I’ll have plenty of time to explore. It might be worth looking into.

Sorry I wrote so much, but I hope that helps! If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

• 11 Oct 2012 NYGiantsFan said

Default_avatar

The great thing about being in college is that you can do these long tours when you are on the summer break, for me I can take no more than two weeks at a time for my travels. I would only do Superior trips as they offer you hotels where you can book it just for yourself and usually they spend 2-3 nights in each place

• 15 Oct 2012 Mikkatopia said

Mikkatopia

I’m going on my first overseas trip next year in September.. I’m 18 I’m going on The European Highlights… There is so much to see and a great price.. i’m then extending my stay in London And Paris. YOLO

European Highlights seems better :)

• 25 Dec 2012 Tara said

Tara

Going on my first Contiki tour this April. European Horizon. Any possibility that anyone who has already done this tour can give me some suggestions?
    Mainly concerned about how much spending cash to bring per currency!

• 14 Feb 2013 Kim said

Kim

Hi, I am going on the European horizon this may 22rd (2013) who is going to?? And being a girl. What clothes should I bring?? Casual, dressy or ?

• 15 Feb 2013 Jordan said

Jordan

hey! im doing my first contiki in june, im going on the ‘eruopean trail’ tour… that goes for 23days and im also going solo. so nervous going on my own haha but i thought id just bite the bullet and book it. ive been living in england for the past year so before i head home to australia i thought i should see a bit of europe before i go.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion