Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Money belts

9 Mar 2007 De'ann said

Default_avatar
a few people have told me to invest in a money belt to wear under your clothes! Apparently u keep your passport and credit cards in it! Any one else doing / does this in their travels?

May 27 euro encounter
  • 9 Mar 2007 Chris_V said

Chris_V

a few people have told me to invest in a money belt to wear under your clothes! Apparently u keep your passport and credit cards in it! Any one else doing / does this in their travels?

I brought a money belt when I am did a contiki in australia. I did not use it because I live in australia and I did not need to use my passport. But I am traveling to Europe in July and I doing the Europe Horizon and think that I would use my money belt because I need to use my passport because just case any thing go wrong and your not in your our country

• 9 Mar 2007 Gretz said

Default_avatar

Hiya Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->
    Yep I’ll definitely be taking along a money belt – a few people have warned me to be wary of pickpockets in a few places so I’ll be investing in one before I jet off … its piece of mind too knowing that you have your passport & money where noone else can get to it … :-)

• 9 Mar 2007 De'ann said

Default_avatar

yea im not keeping all my money in it…probly just passport / cards otherwise it will be a hassle if i want to buy a drink & practically have 2 get undressed!

ohh but they look sooo nerdy and uncomfortable!

• 9 Mar 2007 Kat said

Default_avatar

im probably leaning to the ‘not taking one’ side, i tried one on and since my clothes are “fitted” you could see it and it was uncomfortable and i didnt like it, but then a traveller without a passport is a traveller without a home! so i dont know might take it!
    If i do i wouldnt be keeping my money i was using for that day in it, keep other money and backup stuff, there is no point getting half-undressed to get your money. i think they are made more for keeping backup stuff there!

• 10 Mar 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

I just put a similar post in the ‘day bag’ conversation.
    I think you need to assess the season you’re travelling for comfort. I’m going in winter so I don’t need to worry about a money belt being too hot or showing through my clothes. It also might be safer than having important stuff in a bag, with all those layers I might not feel if someone has their hand in there Eeker<!--graemlin::eek:--> lets hope not.
    So I think i’ll use a money belt.
    If you want to get one (and have time) shop around. There are better styles out there than those intended for ‘older’ travellers. Some are even made of silk so they are more comfortable.
    And if you know anyone who sews you could get them to make one for you (or do it yourself) then you can make it the size and shape you want. How hard can it be? material + zipper = money belt

• 11 Mar 2007 Cal06 said

Default_avatar

I would reccommend taking one, All I know is that there are some expert pick pockets out there, and one way to keep them away is to keep your stuff close to your body. At least thats just my point of view… but be warned, they are very tricky and you won’t even know its happening-they are just that good!

• 10 Apr 2007 ~*Alex*~ said

Default_avatar

i’m undecided as well…i think i’ll buy one of those one’s that you wear around your neck…but will it be hot earing one?

I would only put my passports in it, and maybe my cards…then again, i might just leave the cards in my wallet…

dammit, wish there weren’t pick-pocketers!!!

• 11 Apr 2007 Kat said

Default_avatar

i was a bit perplexed by the first site kittykat – it was for personal training!

• 11 Apr 2007 AWhite said

Default_avatar

I have to say using a money belt is a good idea. The one I have has a couple of zippered compartments so you can put your passport, cards in one pocket and your cash in another. When I was in Spain I got pickpocketed – watched the whole thing happen and didn’t even realize it – they are very good! Anyway, thankfully they only got some cash; cause I had the other stuff in another compartment. I will definately be taking my money belt.

• 19 Apr 2007 kylie_showgirl said

Default_avatar

I took a money belt with me last year when my friends and I did Europe by ourselves and to be honest I never used it.

The only place I would consider using it would be Rome (esp on public transport) – but you just have to be wary of what’s going on around you, if you keep your things close to you at all times, you shouldn’t have any worries.

• 19 Apr 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

I’m carrying one of those necklace pouches for the passport and excess cash. I think the trick with the necklace pouch is that you should wear it crossways over your shoulder against your skin as opposed to like a necklace. Much less irritating that way and harder for a crook the grab the string and slice it. Actually I wore it all day a few days ago as a test run and I forgot it was there! Easy and comfortable.

I’ll also be using my Pac-Safe Metrosafe “Man Purse” bag.

• 19 Apr 2007 nibbs said

Default_avatar

i brought one that i’ll wear underneath my shorts/pants, just slightly above the crotch area. i’ve done a couple of test runs with it, wearing to it work, town, and whilst jogging. it was fine. seemed to be able to handle any kind of physical activity without being disturbed or falling out of place. i’m pretty sure no one suspected me or wearing it

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.