Community_discussions_small  

Question

Imperial and Royal National bad? Where else to stay at then?

11 Apr 2010 resatdorsia asked

resatdorsia
I need help. I have heard that these hotels are really bad and have a reputation for money/belongings being stolen. What other hotels are there that are cheap and decent to stay at?

I'm staying in London for 3 days before tour starts
  • 11 Apr 2010 Explorer1132402 said

Default_avatar

hey im sure that they are not as bad as people make them out to be! you can secure valuables in the contiki basement i believe and really you shouldnt need to take anything too precious with you – valuables probably should be with you at all times in your day bag.

having said that there are cheap hotels – Premier Inn and Travelodge chains throughout the UK. also you could try lastminute.com which may help you find a cheap one, but they are unlikely to be as cheap as Royal National/imperial because you are paying for a shared room. if you are looking for that cheap with good location/transport links you may be better off looking at hostels.

• 11 Apr 2010 resatdorsia said

resatdorsia

Thank you, that helps Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 12 Apr 2010 resatdorsia said

resatdorsia

Oh ok. Yeah ive compared the prices of Royal Nat and Imperial and they are very cheap. Were you scared about leaving your valuables in the room and getting anything stolen? What tour are you doing this year? Im doing the Euro Encounter in Dec Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

• 12 Apr 2010 Explorer1148315 said

Default_avatar

I stayed at the imperial in the summer of last year for 3 days before the tour started. I was never worried about leaving my stuff in the room and did so while I stayed there. I did however lock up my suitcases when I left the room, which I did no matter what hotel I stayed in.

• 16 Apr 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

I stayed at the Imperial a few years ago and I felt it was fine. If you have any valuables you don’t want to take with you then lock them into your suitcase, some even then chain them to the bed so they can’t be stolen.

• 17 Apr 2010 LUKE said

Default_avatar

I found the Royal National very average and a bit overpriced, but it’s convenient. I found the rooms clean enough, if a bit small.

• 29 Apr 2010 *anita* said

*anita*

I stayed a the royal natioanl for a week and had no problems. However, if your on your own its difficult to meet people. After the tour I stayed at the Generator Hostel which is just near the royal national and would recomend it. It costs you less that half of what you will pay at the royal national or imperial and is really great as far as hostels go.

• 30 Apr 2010 likeaflower said

likeaflower

I stayed in both Royal National & The Imperial and I highly recommend Imperial. As long as you are highly aware of your personal security and don’t leave temptation in temptations way then you’ll be fine (ie don’t leave stuff lying around your room, lock your suitcase, etc).

The food at the Imperial was quite good, Royal National didn’t include breakfasts in pre-tour stays. Also noteworthy when you arrive a few days early, you could have a diff roommate from a diff tour every night. The rooms in each hotel are on par, but overall I think the Imperial was better and worth the extra 10 pounds.

I would save yourself the pain of moving your luggage and stick with the same hotel while you are in London.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.