Community_discussions_small  

Question

New York by myself??

22 Feb 2010 loulou80 asked

Default_avatar
I'm possibly going to be in New York by myself for 5 days after a Wild Western tour. Does anyone have any advice or tips for being in New York by yourself?
  • 23 Feb 2010 Mel said

Mel

i’m going to be wandering the streets of new york by myself befor my grand canadian tour. i have planed a day trip to niagra falls and a few other activities… i’m hoping that a few people on my tour will get to new york a few days before depature. i think you will find a few people on your tour will stay an extra day or 2

• 23 Feb 2010 retronym said

retronym

by day I felt really safe doing NY on my own. It seemed safe at night if you stick to main areas. And use the subway, dont walk!

• 23 Feb 2010 loulou80 said

Default_avatar

Thanks retronym, i have no concerns about the day time, it’s just at night time when i want to see the city lights as a single female that i am a bit concerned about. Thanks for the tip about the subway!

• 24 Feb 2010 JimBrayFan said

Default_avatar

Definitely take the A train Downtown to High Street. Get off, exit the station then walk to your left down the hill and then walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. You can do this day or night, both times there will be plenty of people around

• 25 Feb 2010 MatthewEssex said

Default_avatar

I was there by my self last year and I found it great, buy a NY Pass and make sure you do the galleries and museums, especially MoMa, the Guggenheim and the Met.

• 25 Feb 2010 CesarNYC said

Default_avatar

As a native New Yorker, I can say that you would be perfectly safe going around the city alone even at night. Especially in Manhattan there are always people out even in the middle of the night. The city is a very safe place.

The subway is the best and most affordable way to get around the city, but if you are not in a rush then I would suggest walking. You will run into a lot of interesting things while walking that you would miss if you just went form tourist attraction to tourist attraction on the train.

If you have any other specific questions, just ask away.

Ciao!

• 25 Feb 2010 montanaalicia said

montanaalicia

Hi. I am a 20 year old single female and ventured to NYC alone as a 19 year old last year. I have never felt safer in a city, ever. I walked everywhere around Manhattan, day or night. I only ever caught the Subway when heading downtown towards Battery Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Wall St. Don’t be nervous, NYC is an amazing, breath taking experience!

• 27 Feb 2010 loulou80 said

Default_avatar

Thanks everyone for your fantastic advice, i can’t wait to come to New york and explore!!

• 9 Mar 2010 Wez said

Wez

It sometimes even better doing New york by yourself as there is so much to do and so little time you can get down to the stuff that really interests you without a group slowing you down Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 10 Mar 2010 loulou80 said

Default_avatar

Thanks for that Rezuri – your travel diary is very helpful, I’m glad i’m doing it alone and not having to stick to someone elses schedule. Am more excited than nervous now, and can’t wait till July!!

• 14 Mar 2010 Hayley said

Hayley

I totally agree with Wez! I did NYC in 2008 by myself at the end of the Grand Southern tour. I stayed at the hotel Contiki uses (Is it still the Marrakech (sp?)?) and the subway was literally right out front of the hotel, and I believe it was only 6 or 7 stops down to Times Square.

I felt very safe there, reminded me a little of Toronto (my hometown). What I felt really surprising was that seeing as we’ve all seen NYC in so many movies and shows, I felt like I knew where a lot of stuff was!

I only had one full day there, and attempted to cram so much in, so luckily you have 5 days! I did a hop on/hop off sightseeing tour with Grayline, did a tour of NBC studios, went to Rocafeller Center and then had a nice dinner in Times Square. Granted, it can be a tad lonely and kind of embarassing when you’re trying to take a photo of yourself but I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Have fun!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 Mar 2010 Explorer1167755 said

Default_avatar

Hey,

I am also spending a week in NY by myself after I finish the Grand Southern in August, where is a good, but cheap place that people would reccommend?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion