Community_discussions_small  

Question

Help please?!!! Leaving in 7 weeks and need some advice!!

17 Jan 2008 Hayley asked

Default_avatar
Ok...Im going on the encounter tour by myself on the 11 of March and i need to ask some questions!
To carry my passport on me or lock away in hotel safes or in luggage??
Im going to buy a money belt but what about when i go out to a musical or to the pub. What is a safe way to carry important items?
Someone mentioned that you need a small backpack to take to Switzerland because you cant take luggage on the cable car. Do i just pack this in my suitcase and do i really need this backpack??
Is 5000AUS enough for about 19 days not including flying?
I was thinking of using passport cash for my money so that way i dont have heaps on me at one time. Has anyone else used the card and is it ok?
Can you use a commonwealth EFTPOS card in Europe?

I think thats it and if you have any other advice, id love to hear it!!!
Thanks,
Hayley
  • 17 Jan 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

To carry my passport on me or lock away in hotel safes or in luggage??
    Have it on you at all times.

Im going to buy a money belt but what about when i go out to a musical or to the pub. What is a safe way to carry important items?
    Money belts are crap – everyone on my tour who had them never used them because they were a pain, or some of the girls ended up wearing them like a handbag which looked stupid. take a hand bag that goes under your arm so no one can get in. at night i took one of those small bags which had enough room for passport, money, lip gloss, small camera etc

Someone mentioned that you need a small backpack to take to Switzerland because you cant take luggage on the cable car. Do i just pack this in my suitcase and do i really need this backpack??
    Errrrm no idea what this is about…your stuff always goes by bus, every now and then they dont take the cases out at a stop over, they’ll warn you just have something you can take a change of clothes/toiletries in

Is 5000AUS enough for about 19 days not including flying?
    For sure….i’d be suprised if you spent half of that

I was thinking of using passport cash for my money so that way i dont have heaps on me at one time. Has anyone else used the card and is it ok?
    Yep – its great! Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> The only thing is there is a fee to get money out each time, so you get enough for 2-3 days at a time or more if your comfortable holding on to that…i always got about 4 days worth, locked half of it in my suitcase and kept the rest on me

Can you use a commonwealth EFTPOS card in Europe?
    No idea Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> But i’d suggest just taking the cash passport and a credit card.

• 17 Jan 2008 Nath said

Nath

with respect to the backpack, i spoke to a mate about this as i was wondering the same.

he said that you need a backpack or something like that to pack enough stuff for an overnight stay in the swiss alps (mt pilatus i think), cos you take a gondola ride to the top, and the weight of everyones luggage would be too much. a lot of ppl just use a backpack as carry on luggage for their flights over there, so just use that!

oh, and definitely keep your passport with you at all times!

hope that makes sense and helps! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 17 Jan 2008 Nath said

Nath

read this article from contikipedia;

http://contiki.com.au/contikipedia/articles/622

• 17 Jan 2008 Catatonic said

Default_avatar

I used my comm bank card all over Europe and england and it worked fine.

• 17 Jan 2008 aroundthe said

Default_avatar

Legally you are suppose to have it on you at all times. When I went I locked mine in my suitcase. This time I would carry it on me at all time just not when I am going out at night with tour mates. For going out at night I really liked the wristlet clutch bags, big enough to fit the stuff you need money/camera/ lip gloss but it hangs off your wrist so you dont have to worry to much about it.

In Switzerland you will need an overnight bag. Most people just used their day bag.

5000 AUS$ works out to be 157 Euros a day. You should be fine. Some days you wont spend any money because you’ll be on the bus for the most of the day.

The best advice I received since my last trip is not keep your money all in one spot. So use a mixture of methods or cards that way if you lose one you’re not completely S.O.L

• 17 Jan 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

on one of my tours i used my money belt religiously. I’ve taken it on other tours and used it sporadically depending on where i was. I kept my passport in there.

• 17 Jan 2008 nazza1 said

Default_avatar

im gunna take like 2 light weight handbags one that is quite big and fits alot and anutha that is small but fits passport etc in….. just make sure the bag zips and its near u so noone can get in there…. ive heard takin the cash passport thingos r the best to do and i hav a credit card and stuff as well

• 17 Jan 2008 nazza1 said

Default_avatar

also on my tour we go to corfu but our stuff has to stay on the bus so we need a backpack coz we r there for 3 nites without our suitcase

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion