Community_discussions_small  

Question

Greek Island Hopping - Summer 2013!!!

30 Sep 2012 Megan asked

Megan

This is for anybody going on Contiki's Greek Island Hopping tour in 2013!

I'm booked for July 4th. From what I've heard, this tour is epic & I can't wait!

Anyone else? What date are you going? :)

• 10 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

Hey, I haven’t booked my holiday for Greek island hopping yet but I’m thinking about going late july. I’ve heard it’ll be awesome too! Plus it’ll be my first time overseas and.I’m going by myself:

• 10 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

Yay, that’s awesome! I’m going solo as well… haven’t met anyone else on my tour yet, but I know it’s still early. July seems to be the best month to go as far as nightlife and whatnot, so I’m really looking forward to it! :) Are you doing any other tours?

• 11 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

Yep I’m hoping to.do simply Italy before the Greek hopping. I’m so excited.. I can’t wait to meet all the fun like people:-) if I go earlier July it’ll be my bday then lol.

• 11 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

You should totally do that… having a birthday in Greece would be SO awesome. And I’m sure your Contiki crew would make sure you have a great time. Haha come on my tour so I’ll know someone! It’ll be tons of fun!
    Random side note: I just looked at your profile and saw you’re from Adelaide – I have a good friend from there who I met on my first Contiki! :)

• 11 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

Lol actually I might do that. Sounds so fun to have a birthday in Greece partying on the islands. Lol. Oh wow.. which tour did you do with the person from adelaide. Adelaide is a very small place and everyone almost know everyone. Lol. So you’re from the US?:-)

• 11 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

I think that’s a great idea! When is your birthday? I can just imagine the celebration that would go on if you had your birthday during a Contiki- haha do ittt! :)
    Yep, I’m from the US. I did the London Explorer, followed by London & Paris plus Rome in May of this year. The girl from Adelaide is named Sophie and she was my roommate at the Royal National during the London Explorer part. We actually became really close in the small amount of time we spent together! That’s seriously my favorite part about Contiki… all the new friends you make from all over the world, it’s amazing.

• 12 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

I believe meeting people over the world would be amazing too. Just learning and knowing the other culture:-) London and Paris may have to

miss sunbear

Wait for me in the 2014. Lol. But I will definitely be planning more holidays after ny first one which obviously Haven’t done yet. Lol. My birthday on the 3rd so its a day earlier when u

miss sunbear
    Start the tour. Lol.
  • 13 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

Yeah, learning about other cultures is great. I’ve discovered that I love Aussies- haha! I think that must mean I should take a trip to Australia soon after my European travels…
    Ohh okay gotcha! Well it’s close enough, you should so book Greek Island Hopping on the same date as me.. that way we’ll both know someone hahah it’ll be great :)

• 14 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

Actually that wouldn’t be such a bad idea if I book the same date as u:-) ill work something out if I can still do simply Italy before the Greek hopping edd another good part if we go on the same trip as eachother that way we know someone. Lol

• 14 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

That would be SO awesome! It would be really nice to know someone in advance, especially since we’re both going solo. I just checked out the Simply Italy dates and it looks like there’s one that ends on July 4th in Rome, so you’d just have to make your way over to Athens to start the Greek Island Hopping tour later that day. EasyJet is a European airline that’s cheap (around 50 Euro) and goes from Rome-Athens, so that would work out really well. And… yeah, I work in the travel industry so planning trips is one of my favorite things to do haha. But anyway if you give Contiki a call they can book you in and you’ll get a discount since you’re booking two trips! :) Get ready to party it up in Greece girl!

• 16 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

Wow working in travel would be awesome especially when you kind of know what you’re looking for:-) thanks for the cheap airline tip. I was looking at some airline and I really gougjt o cpuldnt find a cheap airline deal. Lol. I better head to my travel agent then to get it on. Hey since you’ve been on a contiki trip before, where do everyone usually meet on the first day? Llike at a hotel or a place? And how do we know what hotel we will be staying at?:-)

• 16 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

It is a really great industry to work in! It helps me stay organized with my travel plans and everything, which is always a plus haha. But yeah, EasyJet is the perfect way to get around Europe for super cheap! I took EasyJet from Paris to Rome and had a good experience with them so I do recommend them. It’ll be the quickest way for you to get from Rome to Athens when it’s time to start your Greek Island Hopping tour, yay! On the first day of tour, everyone meets up at the hotel we’ll be staying at. There’s usually an introductory meeting at like 6 pm or something followed by an included dinner where everyone can get to know each other. Contiki will send you your documents about 3 weeks before the tour begins, and in the documents, it has a list of each hotel that you’ll be staying at. Contiki can also help organize your transportation from the airport to the hotel, so you won’t have to worry about going to the wrong one. If you need to know beforehand, you can probably just call them and they’ll tell you the hotel’s name. Also when I was checking the EasyJet prices, it looks like your flight would arrive in Athens in the afternoon, so you’d have time to get to the hotel and freshen up before the meeting. Haha jeez I should totally be a travel agent, huh? :) Anyway – do you think you’ll be on the July 4th GIH tour? I hope so!

• 17 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

I totally will book everything next month.. definitely before Xmas where I usually start spending money. Lol. So my tours and flight will be booked then. Yay!!! Or do you reckon should book my tour in the.next fortnight so I have a place then book my flight he following fortnighyt?:-) hehe. P.s thanks for all the awesome tips too. You’re the best lol

• 17 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

I think you should book your tour as soon as you can! :) It’s so much fun to book and know everything is in order, that way you can have more time to plan your flights and save up some spending money. And it’s no problem! I’m so excited!! Really looking forward to meeting you and hanging out in Greece – too bad it’s another 8 1/2 months away haha I just can’t wait! :)

• 18 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

Next fortnight ill book both contiki tours. You’re right.. that way I can not worry about booking a place later and my placement won’t be taken. Heen ill book my flights:-) though it’ll be 8 1/2 months away til Greece. its definitely less than a year;-) hey Wat clothing do you think will be suitable for both Italy and Greece? I’m not sure what I should be focusing on packing.:-)

• 18 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

That’s a good idea, you never know when the tours will sell out! It’s always a good feeling to be booked in and know what you have a spot on the tour. How exciting! Also once you book, you can join the “meetup” for our tour which is just like a little chat room for anyone going on that date. So far I’m the only one in there though haha. Well this will be Europe’s summer, and in Italy & Greece, it gets very hot. The main thing to remember is PACK LIGHT! That way you’ll have lots of room in your suitcase if you buy new things (you will). I’m just bringing lots of cute dresses, a few pairs of shorts, shirts (t-shirts and tank tops), one jacket in case it gets cold at night, something comfy but light to sleep in, a couple of dressy outfits (maybe leggings to pair with a dress or something.. not sure yet), “going-out shoes”, thongs, swimsuit, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a beach towel. It’s a good idea to make sure you bring some medication in case you get sick, which most people do. So maybe some cough drops and cold/flu tablets. I’m not bringing a hairdryer or anything, I’m just gonna let my hair go wild haha. :) I’m probably forgetting something but that’s the main stuff!

• 20 Oct 2012 miss sunbear said

miss sunbear

You sure covered the main stuff… I’m a dress fan so ill definitely be wearing dresses especially on the hot Greece. Haha. I have so many dresses, its crazy.. I just have to figure out which ones.to take. Lol. So people generally get sick on tour.. oh I hope I don’t, it won’t be fun then. So with prescription meds, do I bring my perscripton as well, just in case? Will I need any vaccinations baefore heading to Europe?:-) hope you don’t mind me asking so many questions lol

• 20 Oct 2012 Megan said

Megan

Haha of course I don’t mind! Yeah, I love dresses too. I have heaps of them that I wear during the summer, so that’s probably what I’ll mainly wear in Greece as well. And unfortunately most people do get sick on tour, so you just have to make sure you take care of yourself and bring medication just in case! Being around people from different countries, not getting much sleep, partying a lot, etc. all lead to sickness. :( It’s fine though, it usually doesn’t last long and if you have cold/flu tablets, you’ll still be able to go out and have fun! I’d definitely make sure to bring any prescriptions with your medication. It’s always good to be prepared! And no vaccinations that I’m aware of. :) I’m anxious for you to book the trip so I’ll finally have a tour mate haha such excitement!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.