Community_discussions_small  

Question

European Horizon 10 day tour July 7 2013!

1 Oct 2012 zoec asked

zoec

Hey, I'm thinking of doing the European Horizons tour next July! Just wondering if anyone has any advice about this trip or is thinking about doing it? also if anyone has any advice for travelling alone?! i'm a little bit nervous!! hah

• 4 Oct 2012 Katy said

Katy

I did this tour in August 2012 and it was amazing! Im 18 and went with a friend but i would have been fine by myself. just make sure you go to the meet up and are really chatty even if you’re scared. everyone wants to meet people so its not weird if you just go up to someone and introduce yourself. also join the meet up and add some people on fb and talk to them a bit because if you know a couple of people its much easier. This tour is amazing but be prepared to party hard every night because its a short tour. I made amazing friends on this tour and we are actually all doing Greek island hopping together next year :) if you have any more questions just ask :)

• 26 May 2013 Explorer1200432 said

Default_avatar

I did this tour about 7 years ago, and it was a blast (looking at doing another tour next year). I traveled alone, and I’m so glad I did. I was nervous at first, but that quickly wore off. I made friends with people that I am still friends with today. :)

TIPS: If they are still using the same hotels (which I believe they are), it’s about a five minute walk from the British Museum. I went there to kill some time before the meet and greet. It’s free and really interesting. Try to look into getting a shuttle from the airport ahead of time (just for ease) – I went with a taxi and it was very pricey. Go to the meetup in the evening, it will give you a chance to start to get to know people and you’ll know exactly what the plan is for the next day. You’ll make a lot of friends on the tour – yes, a lot of them will probably want to party in the evenings (it is a vacation after all), but no one will pressure you into it if that isn’t your cup of tea. I went out most nights for the fun and dancing more than the drinking. Drink lots of water, and sleep when you can (ie, on the bus), so that you don’t get tired out and sick. Bring a money belt and keep your important stuff in it (don’t carry around a lot of cash, or flash expensive items). I would recommend photocopying your important documents and keeping them in a different place (like your suitcase), just in case you did lose your passport, etc. If you don’t want to check luggage on the way there (I didn’t), bring a lightweight bag that you can check on the way home. I ended up buying so much, that I then had to buy a bag on the last day so that I could get it all home. Do research ahead of time about the places your going, and decided what optionals you really want to do and where you would rather strike out on your own. Bring a camera, lots of memory cards, and spare batteries – you will most likely take a TON of photos. Bring comfortable clothes and shoes, and save room in your suitcase by bringing items that you can dress up or down. Bring more money than you’ll think you need, but spend wisely. Especially when it comes to drinking. Some people on our tour blew through most of their money on drinks alone, and were broke by the end of the trip. Save a little bit of money for tipping your driver and guide at the end – no it’s not mandatory, but pretty much everyone on my tour did. If you have the money, you may want to book an extra night at hotel the end of the tour. By the end, I was exhausted, I ended up really wishing that I had one extra day to unwind before jumping on the plane. Try to get off the beaten path when you can. For example, Venice is quite touristy, but if you go explore away from the center, you’ll find great local shops and food, and get more of an authentic experience.
    Any questions, just let me know. :)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion