Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern vs Grand Northen

7 Oct 2012 Georgina asked

Default_avatar

hi, im looking at doing one of these tours next year but just cant make up my mind which one !! Has anyone been lucky enough to do both and tell me which one was better

Thanks

• 7 Oct 2012 jarks said

Default_avatar

I’ve not done either (yet. doing GS in 7 weeks!)

The main reason I picked GS is because GN isn’t offered in November. Also because I’ve done a bit of Canada already, and didn’t want to revisit those places when I had the opportunity to see new places.

However, I would have to say that the GN looks freaking amazing! Canada is brilliant, and it’s definitely a great way to experience both countries on the same trip. Boston and Chicago are also in my top 5 places to see in the USA so to get both of those would have been great. GN also has Vegas for 3 nights, instead of the two on GS, which might mean something to you.

In contrast, GS takes you along the east coast, to some really old towns, to Miami and Orlando (theme parks, Harry Potter World!) and another of my top 5: New Orleans.

I think you should go find copies of a USA and a Canada guidebook and go through each of the cities that the tours take you to and decide what you want to see more of.

• 7 Oct 2012 Bambo01 said

Bambo01

I haven’t done either but am doing Grand Northern May 3rd love fact you get to go into Canada as well i can’t wait but having said that both trips look amazing. Good luck with your decision :-)

• 10 Oct 2012 Aussie Lo said

Aussie Lo

I’m doing GS July 2013 :) woohoo… I’d much rather do USA cost (Miami) than Canada in the summer :)

• 10 Oct 2012 Georgina said

Default_avatar

Thanks for the advice guys I’ve actually decided to do two of the smaller tours so I can see a bit of both :) can’t wait !!

• 10 Oct 2012 Aussie Lo said

Aussie Lo

Ah what a great idea :)

• 31 Oct 2012 Brissy_traveller89 said

Brissy_traveller89

I did the Grand Southern back in July and I’m going back to do the Grand Northern in 2014. I did the GS first partly because I was going in the middle of summer and it was the best 4 week party ever. Also with the southern States you get to experience some of the poorer communities which really opened my eyes and made realise how lucky I am. It was an amazing experience. I now want to do the GN because I’m a big fan of nature and I’d love to see the national parks in summer. Either one you’ll have an amazing time :)

• 7 Nov 2012 Aussieangel said

Aussieangel

I did the eastern discovery last year tho at the time of booking I didn’t no it was actually half of the grand southern. It was do much harder nesting a group half way tho still had a great time when we got chatting etc.
    All in total I did 3 Contikis within America. The other 2 were the New York explorer an LA explorer.
    Next year I’m doing the grand northern on the 5th of July.
    I’m pritty excited for that as I just love America plus Canada just seems awesome!

Either way with whatever you choose to do you will have a ball.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.