Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best of USA 2013

9 Oct 2012 Demi asked

Demi

Hi guys, I'm planning on doing the best of USA, September 2013. Just wondering if anybody else is planning on going on this trip??

Also past travellers anything you would recommend at all??

Thanks ! :)

• 18 Oct 2012 ash said

ash

Oh you wont be 21 :( Im going just aftrer my 21st :) im sure it will be fine though :)

• 18 Oct 2012 Nr992 said

Default_avatar

oh thats a shame you’re not 21 cause pretty much everyone goes clubbing the first night in LA and first night in vegas. september is definately good weather although new york was a little cold at times.

lozen89 you must have gone on the tour after mine, im assuming adri was your tour guide as she flew straight back to LA for the next tour after she did the one i was on.

• 18 Oct 2012 ash said

ash

ohhh great :) Did you spend anymore time there?

• 18 Oct 2012 Demi said

Demi

@Ash – I’m going to stay in la one day prior and one in New York after Or hoping to go to New Jersey even after !!! You??
    Ahh lozen89 you’ve made me so much more excited !!!!!!! Haha. So you reckon stay more days prior ? What is good to see in la that they don’t take you too? And ny? Sorry snot all the questions haha

• 18 Oct 2012 lozen89 said

lozen89

Hannah was my tour manager, I did it in reverse! Started in New York!
    I can’t comment a lot on New York due to I ended up really sick! But the rest of my group loved it!
    Defo say either side if there is extra you want to do! I wish I got to go to Orange County and universal! When I was there I saw Venice beach, Santa Monica pier, Hollywood and downtown L.A. You then get free days but are taken up with the optionals you choose eg Disneyland, universal, stars homes tour, Grammy museum, hop on hop off bus.
    I know you say your not fazed that your not 21 but a lot of the tour is spent out at places where you have to be 21 or over! My biggest advice would be to wait till your 21 even if your not a big drinker! You will experience a lot more!

• 18 Oct 2012 Nr992 said

Default_avatar

I would do a couple of days in LA before the tour starts, i wish I had done that so I had time to check out Hollywood a bit more cause 2 of the days are taken up by optionals like universal and Disneyland, I would probably say to do Disneyland before the tour starts cause with the tour you spend 12 hours there which was far too long cause you get really exhausted! also do the celebrity homes tour and Madame Tussauds :)
    In New York I stayed 3 nights after the tour which was good to have extra time to do things there :) I would recommend doing rockerfeller, Central Park and Empire State Building at night as the night views are incredible :) also shopping in soho is a must do! I would pass on the sex and the city tour as I found that quite disappointing. If your planning on doing jersey shore like we were its very expensive and takes ages to get down there so we passed on that.
    You would have alot more fun if you waited till you’re 21, especially in Vegas.

• 19 Oct 2012 Demi said

Demi

Yeah I’m contemplating waiting til I’m 21 now… Would be more worth it I guess…not sure where else doesn’t have a 21 drinking age… /:

• 21 Oct 2012 ash said

ash

Did you guys find it east getting around? Public transport wise? Im thinking of doing this tour but then I want to go down to Miami and then need to get back to LA which I would fly, but getting around to see things? :)

• 21 Oct 2012 Nr992 said

Default_avatar

Why don’t you go to Miami after the tour ends? Quite a few people in my group did that. Getting around is easy when you’re with your contiki group but when you’re on your own i found it very hard getting around nyc and figuring out the subway trying to get back to brooklyn (the contiki hotel) all i can suggest though would be to stick with a group. the other cities are easy to get around although in saying that I didnt get time to see alot of LA on foot, I saw most of it on the tour bus but getting taxis around is cheap :)

• 22 Oct 2012 Natalie123 said

Natalie123

Hey guys I’m hoping to do this trip in September too!! Thinking the 16th. I’d be travelling solo from England. Exited but also nervous!!! X

• 22 Oct 2012 Loz said

Loz

Hi Guys,
    I am also looking at doing this trip in September next year. I have never been on a contiki before but have heard some great stories. I will be travelling solo so a bit nervous about that! But its great that they have these discussions beforehand as I would want to stay extra days before and after and it would be great to know others doing the same :)

• 22 Oct 2012 Natalie123 said

Natalie123

Yeah its a great site. I also want to do the Alcatraz trip in San Fran if anyone’s interested? Where are you from loz? :)

• 22 Oct 2012 ash said

ash

@Nr992 – Thats what I was thinking of doing after the tour heading down to Miami then back to L.A, Im thinking of traveling America for the full month of september.

@Loz how good is the discussions its making me feel a little less nervous about the whole first big trip thing :)

@Natalie – I was looking at the one in San Fran, I want to do all the tours ha ha :)

• 23 Oct 2012 Kelsey said

Kelsey

I did the tour in August and had an awesome time.

If you want to do alcatraz make sure you book it before you go. I bought my ticket before I went as they often sell out – it was sold out on the days we were in San Fran.

Most cities are pretty easy to get around by subway, bus, cab etc. Our TM showed us how to use the subway in NY and after that it was easy. The hotel is in Brooklyn but you can take the subway to Times Square and most other places without switching lines.

On my tour about half the people were travelling alone and half were travelling with someone. There were also 4 people that were under 21.

If you have any questions about optionals or anything else just ask.

• 23 Oct 2012 Loz said

Loz

Hi Natalie I’m from Sydney. What about yourself? I am also thinking of doing the september 16th trip. Is that what everyone else is thinking? I would also definately want to do Alcatraz!

Ash- these discussions things are great, I am so happy they have them. Definately makes me a bit less nervous. Will you be travelling solo?

Has everyone booked yet? I haven’t yet, but I just got back from the travel agent and they said book soon because they sell out fast!

• 23 Oct 2012 Natalie123 said

Natalie123

I’m from England. Yay- I was abit worried about the whole Alcatraz thing as you have book it yourself don’t you? So would be amazing if whoever wanted to go could all arrange to go at the same time :). I’m definitely wanting to book the 16th too. So cool that this site helps you to meet everyone! I’m even more excited now! :)

Natalie123

Hi Kelsey! Thanks for ur advice! Did many people have their own room on your trip?? Still debating on what to do x

• 23 Oct 2012 Loz said

Loz

Yer i think by seeing others comments that Alcatraz is the thing you must book before you go. so i am keen to go when others book it :) I like my own space too, but it would probably be alot more expensive. I think sharing would be ok as long as they dont snore!!

Natalie123

Yes me too. I’ve always wanted to see Alcatraz! And yeah it is quite abit more expensive for your own room. Hmmm. What if one night you want to sleep and your roomie wants to party? Or vice versa. It’s nice to know you can take things at your own pace etc but then again it is a lot of money. Decisions decisions! x

• 23 Oct 2012 Loz said

Loz

yer Natalie you do make a point there. i was just looking at flights and they are more expensive than I thought so I think my own room would be definately out for me..personally while i do like to have fun, i am not a massive partier, so hopefully i am with someone who doesnt party every night! i prefer shopping, so i am hoping theres opportunites to find some good bargins!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.