Community_discussions_small  

Comment

OPTIONAL DINNERS

13 Jan 2011 JL said

Default_avatar
Hi. My husband and I are going on the European Encounter tour in September 2011. Is the optional dinners worth it? Specifically the Swiss Fondue Dinner & Folklore Show (Lucerne), the Venetian restaurant (Venice), the Tuscan Evening (Florence) and the Monaco restaurant. I have read mixed reviews, and it's quite expensive
  • 13 Jan 2011 Tara said

Default_avatar

Hi JL,

I did the European Encounter in Aug 2010 and did all of the optional dinners. Some were hit and miss. I would do the Swiss dinner because of the atmosphere more than the food and almost all the group went, it was funny and entertaining. The other one that was a definite was the tuscan evening, the entire group went on this one and then off to the disco afterwards. The wine was flowing and the food was awesome. I would find a venice restaurant on my own if I were you, the appetizers were great but it went downhill afterwards. You could find a great restaurant on your own, the same could be said for the Monaco restaurant. If you want to do another optional is the one in paris, I know it is expensive but was well worth it and is the last night with everyone.

Hope that helps,
    Tara

• 13 Jan 2011 JL said

Default_avatar

Thanks Tara. Helps a lot Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 17 Jan 2011 Ang said

Default_avatar

Can I suggest saving for all of them if you can, then deciding once you get there and hear the menus etc? It can really depend a lot on the group that you are with anyway – my European Encounter I skipped the Venetian meal, because I didn’t like the menu…those that went enjoyed it, those that didn’t had their own fun. My Italian tour was a smaller group, so most of us went – I honestly couldn’t tell you if the food was any good or not, but I remember it was a hilariously fun night. Ultimately though, it’s up to you – you could strike the restaurant on a good/bad night, you might end up at another restaurant…I know our Lucerne meal got cancelled, so it’s hard to go on recommendations from others. Good luck, and have fun!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.