Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern LA - NY September 5th 2013

14 Oct 2012 SallyGB asked

SallyGB

Recently booked this tour and will be travelling solo, would be great to hear from anyone else going. :)

• 27 Dec 2012 Alexis said

Default_avatar

Hey I’m booking on this next week! Nice to see another Brit! I’m only doing the first 2 weeks of the tour though on the southern adventure… I just got back from doing the grand southern in September and it was amazing, had the best time ever… Didn’t want to come home hence booking up on it again lol

• 28 Dec 2012 kristyk said

kristyk

Hi Sally and Alexis im Kristy and im from perth australia, im booked on this tour and the grand northern that starts oct 4th. Cant wait to do these tours. Hope you have a good new year and i look forward to meeting you both.

• 28 Dec 2012 Alexis said

Default_avatar

Hi Kristy! Looking forward to meeting you! How long are you staying in LA before the start of the tour?

• 29 Dec 2012 kristyk said

kristyk

i havent decided as im heading to san fran first. maybe a day or 2. how about yourself?

• 2 Jan 2013 SallyGB said

SallyGB

Hi guys only just received these posts nice to hear from you both Kristy i just responded to your post hadn’t realised you had commented on mine. Alexis you must have loved it if your doing it again lol. I did two contikis last year in Europe had the best time EVER so i have high hopes for this tour. Let the count down begin! Are either of you staying in LA for a bit before the trip?

SallyGB

This is such a small world …. Alexis did you do your trip with a girl called Jess Spooner?

• 2 Jan 2013 Alexis said

Default_avatar

I will be staying in LA for a couple of nights before the tour and am thinking of doing a few nights somewhere else in Cali before that just to extend the trip a bit. What about you Sally? Oh my god yes I was on the trip with Jess Spooner, what a small world! How do you know her?

SallyGB

Do you plan on going to Disney before the trip or did you go last time? I was chatting to Jess on fb before her trip as i saw her post on the contiki page she added me and said she would fill me in on how it went as i was going exactly one year after.

SallyGB

I think i will be in LA on the 3rd no official plan as of yet lol.

• 2 Jan 2013 Alexis said

Default_avatar

I never did disney last time when i was there in LA so definitely want to try and do it this time. Are you planning on doing it? we could go together.

SallyGB

Yes sure that would be wicked! :-D Nearer the time if someone hasn’t made one already i will make a fb group and post it on here as it is easier to chat via that. Have you booked your flights with contiki or yourself?

• 2 Jan 2013 Alexis said

Default_avatar

I haven’t booked my flights yet, just done the tour. Have you done yours? Do contiki prices come out cheaper for flights do you know?

SallyGB

I have only booked the trip, i was looking at flights with Virgin and they are about £600 direct to Heathrow. Haven’t checked with contiki. I was going to book a shuttle with them to snd from the airports as they are always cheaper via them.

• 4 Jan 2013 kristyk said

kristyk

Hey alexis and sally, im planning to fly to san fran on aug 31 and be in L.A before the 4th. Not sure what plans i have as yet. Will let you know when i book flights etc etc

• 4 Jan 2013 Alexis said

Default_avatar

Last time I found British airways were the cheapest for flights from London so worth having a look into that. I was thinking might do San Diego before and then get the greyhound up to LA or something. Can’t wait though!

• 4 Jan 2013 SallyGB said

SallyGB
    kristy i sent you that fb request my surname is Lovegrove so don’t panic when you see a randomer lol. San Fran looks amazing i always wanted to go there.

Yes i will check BA again last time i looked the dates weren’t available. Oh wow San Diego would be fab do you know anyone there, or is at case of just exploring?

kristyk

Thanks sally, alexis feel free to add me on facebook, im kristy lee keen and my profile pic is the same pic as i have on here. i will let you know when i book accomidation, flights, any day tours/theme parks etc etc. i want to pay off the tours first then flights and then il look into accomidation, looking at staying in times sqaure in ny and not sure in l.a. a few ppl i know have been and i follow some beauty ppl on youtube and they stayed at the london in L.A and said it was an awesome hotel.

kristyk

Sorry question aimed at alexis, what was the grand southern like? how were the optionals and if you dont mind me asking, did you find the states expensive or reasonable?

• 4 Jan 2013 Alexis said

Default_avatar

I think im going to stay in the hotel that the tour starts off at in L.A just because its easier but only problem is its not exactly in a very nice area, bit dodgy lol. Kristy the grand southern in AMAZING! I went solo.. id say about 3/4 of the 50 people on the bus were travelling alone and then there were a few couples but you literally make friends with everyone straight away anyway. There are definitely some optionals that wernt worth the money like the jeep ride in durango and the haunted house in dallas to name a few… Definitely do the helicopter ride over the grand canyon though because its soooo beautiful and the people that didnt do it regretted it!
    I found it was pretty cheap in the States when we were more down south like in texas, memphis, new orleans, cortez etc but LA, vegas, miami and washington were super expensive but i guess thats to be expected. I didnt budget very well first time and ran out of money really quickly so definitely going to control my spending a bit more this time! haha. x

• 4 Jan 2013 SallyGB said

SallyGB

How much would you say to budget for the entire trip Alexis?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.